Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 02:41 AM

914 posts, read 735,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
They are 100% irrational. I am living proof of it, as well as millions of others.
The statistics say otherwise. We're going to have to agree to disagree.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:01 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,231,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
The statistics say otherwise. We're going to have to agree to disagree.
I will do no such thing until I am clear on what you are referring to. What statistics say otherwise?

If you want to talk about statics then you need to define what criteria you are referring to.

What statistics are you referring to?

I will be happy to look up the stats, but you need to tell me what specifically you are talking about.

Speaking of Stats...These stats are pretty interesting don't you think?

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

Old 06-16-2016, 04:44 AM

8,781 posts, read 9,427,520 times
A helmet is no replacement for a full metal shell and airbags.
I don't care who want to pull statistics from where, a pad of leather and a helmet can only do so much once Gravity and Inertia gets involved.

There is risk associated with open seat driving and no amount of safe driving can take those risks down to a zero.

There is risk involved in motor vehicles period.

I would hold off on the motorcycle until the wife addressed her brothers incident and the affects it has had in her outlook towards cycle driving. Make it known you intend to go forward with your plans and would like to accompany her to talk to someone to help in her fears.

Do so before any butt saddles a seat.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:53 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,729,578 times
I will say, if you still want the motor cycle, get your wife to go to a motorcycle safety class with you. Beyond the practicality, at least in my state which many view as 'backwards', it removes the requirement to take the motorcycle road test and gives you a 30% discount on insurance (through flo, geico, State Farm, etc...).

Old 06-16-2016, 05:18 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,140,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I will do no such thing until I am clear on what you are referring to. What statistics say otherwise?

If you want to talk about statics then you need to define what criteria you are referring to.

What statistics are you referring to?

I will be happy to look up the stats, but you need to tell me what specifically you are talking about.

Speaking of Stats...These stats are pretty interesting don't you think?

Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

"The federal government estimates that per mile traveled in 2013, the number of deaths on motorcycles was over 26 times the number in cars."

Yes. But isn't the danger part of its sexy appeal to some? *shrugs*

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 06-16-2016 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: to expand on one word response - for clarity

Old 06-16-2016, 05:37 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,622,264 times
I wonder if this should be moved to the Automotive forum. The OP posted twice and was only active for two hours after joining. I doubt he is truly looking for advice about Relationships.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:52 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,877,650 times
So I guess the OP is admitting he has replaced his mommy with his wife. Men in the USA have sure become wimps. They have to get permission from their wives to do anything. Does your wife get your permission? Anyhow, I've owned several bikes and still ride, even though I'm past 60. Its very safe, if you follow certain rules. I avoid riding in heavy traffic, like rush hour or at night. Also, you have to ride as though they're out to get you, because many drivers aren't very good. The very old and very young drivers are the worst and most dangerous. But I encourage you to get one, if you don't have children. When my kids came, I gave it up. The last thing I wanted to do was leave my small children without their father. Once I had the last one well on his way in college, I bought another bike.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
So I guess the OP is admitting he has replaced his mommy with his wife. Men in the USA have sure become wimps. They have to get permission from their wives to do anything. Does your wife get your permission? Anyhow, I've owned several bikes and still ride, even though I'm past 60. Its very safe, if you follow certain rules. I avoid riding in heavy traffic, like rush hour or at night. Also, you have to ride as though they're out to get you, because many drivers aren't very good. The very old and very young drivers are the worst and most dangerous. But I encourage you to get one, if you don't have children. When my kids came, I gave it up. The last thing I wanted to do was leave my small children without their father. Once I had the last one well on his way in college, I bought another bike.
Good point, your advanced age, and given the survival rates of men v. women in general - chances are you will leave your wife without a husband no matter what you do.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:03 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,262,162 times
Since the OP doesn't want to join in on the conversation he started, let's derail this thread.

So, what are you all doing today? How's the weather? Taking the bike out for a spin?

Old 06-16-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Since the OP doesn't want to join in on the conversation he started, let's derail this thread.

So, what are you all doing today? How's the weather? Taking the bike out for a spin?
Rainy, taking the bus out to work, LMAO!

Ya'll have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.