Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 05:40 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Conversation with my fiancée:

Ive never been able to and im excited to
I just want to make a family.. and i feel like i wont be able to
The older i get the more it bothers me

Im the last one of family. My line ends with me and i just dont think ill get pregnant later.

Ill miss out on it completely

Fiancée continued on saying I won and congratulations.

It looked like we made up and then it went back to exploding again. I feel worse because now I feel I am controlling my fiancée and forcing her to follow my will.
Get out!!! Now!!!
She's crazy and unstable!! Go!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 05:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
If you're in counseling NOW?, forget getting married. End it now.

Old 06-15-2016, 05:49 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Exactly! ^^^

Old 06-15-2016, 05:55 AM

302 posts, read 230,452 times
Personally I think counseling at the start is very important and probably the most effective time for two people to get on the same page. Most people start counseling when it's too late. It sounds like the OP and his girlfriend have severe issues communicating.

Dump the pastor and get a real counselor.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:15 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
We had a two hour conversation that I felt was awful. My fiancée feels ever since I proposed I shut down. I don't text her as much or call her as much as I use to. I don't, but a lot of that is due to changes in our schedule. Fiancée starting several new jobs over the year and starting nursing school. I work a rotating 3 shifts part time, but additional hours when I can, add in school, and when I am exercising don't text her. I stop texting her when she is upset at me which either she gets upset at me or cools off.

This sparked into how we differ on arguments. Where I feel if an argument is going no where and just continues to escalate walking out taking time to cool your self off clear your thoughts are important. It will help lead to resolution and avoid saying anything unregrettable. Fiancée feels if I leave an argument it's an end to the relationship.

This led to issues about time line for children, the honeymoon, and how fiancée feels I have no emotions.

When I avoid communicating with my fiancée it's to avoid hurting her.
My feeling from your posts is that you are both very busy, and you aren't ready to get married. Neediness is just not something either of you have time for. I figure this could go two ways.

You get married, and share your busy lives by allowing each other space to live and work without a constant hassle. I loved it when my DH and I were both busy working. When we had time together we had lots to say. It was interesting. We were not connected every waking moment.

Or, you do not get married, but go about your lives without the hassle of the other person's neediness.

It sounds like the counseling you are getting is for the benefit of your church being comfortable with marrying you? I suggest you get more professional counseling.

I know that conventional wisdom says that marriage is hard work, but I disagree. In my experience being married should not be hard work, and has not been hard work.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:25 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I know that conventional wisdom says that marriage is hard work, but I disagree. In my experience being married should not be hard work, and has not been hard work.
Marriage IS hard work. It's wonderful to be in a marriage in which the hard work just doesn't seem to be that way.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:42 AM

302 posts, read 230,452 times
OP- trust me the few thing you shared are huge red flags. My husband was like you and would not share his feelings or emotions. Whenever a conversation got hard he would simply stop talking to me and "close the conversation." I was so alone. I wondered and questioned why I got married. I had to find other ways to be happy. I read books, went on walks, explored hobbies. I felt like my only use to him was for sex.

He never shared anything with me. We never discussed anything. He was a work-aholic.

At least we both wanted children. So 1 year into the marriage I had a baby. I finally felt like my love was reciprocated. I was happy. I had two more children. He went to work, I took care and loved my children.

We lived together, but never had a relationship. When the children started getting older and busier, our old problems from the beginning resurfaced.

We went to counseling. We read many books. We read the 5 love languages. He doesn't have one. All he cares about is sex and going to work.

So we are divorced now. And my children have no relationship with him because he doesn't know how to have one.

* If you can't learn to communicate and give to your fiance- let her find someone who will. Let her find someone who wants kids. Don't ruin her life.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free.spirit View Post
If you can't learn to communicate and give to your fiance- let her find someone who will. Let her find someone who wants kids. Don't ruin her life.
I agree with most of your post. Unfortunately for both of them it is likely that the next guy she meets and the next woman he meets will be more like the ones they avoided first time around than not. Organized religion has a lot to answer for.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Personally I think counseling at the start is very important and probably the most effective time for two people to get on the same page. Most people start counseling when it's too late. It sounds like the OP and his girlfriend have severe issues communicating.

Maybe a distinction should be made between pre-marital 'coaching', and "marriage counseling". The first may not be a bad idea, but, IMO should not really be necessary. The second, almost always is a waste of time and money. When a couple winds up in marriage counseling they are merely delaying the inevitable. Nor do I agree that 'real' coaches or counselors do a better job than friends, family or mobile apps.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:07 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:

1. A deacon is not a pastor.

2. Many church employees, particularly those who work with families, do have counseling credentials. My master's in counseling psych is from a Catholic university and many degree candidates are employed by churches. It is very helpful for people who seek careers in spiritual mentoring to have a background and certification in counseling and therapy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships