Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2016, 01:46 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

I had a GF in high school. Since we broke up I've talked to her a few times in my early 20's and we've been FB friends for 4 yrs or so now. She was adopted and she never really talked much about that back when we were kids and in high school. I didn't really get from her this need to contact her birth parents/relatives. She mentioned it a few times back in our 20's, but now on FB it seems like she's obsessed with it. Her SO bought for her on her B day that "23 and me" ancestry thingy. I see ads for it on TV and online as well. It's this service that tests your DNA and give you all kinds of various results such as who your blood relatives are to where your family lineage comes from to trivia about your DNA type blah blah blah.

I guess it might be sorta cool to check out, but I'm not understanding what appears to be a tad of an obsession on her part. I guess my not being adopted I can't never really relate on that level to what she's thinking and feeling. I guess there could be some practical benefits such as health issues and things along those lines.

I guess that's what makes us all interesting in some way, we all can have differing ways of seeing the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 03:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
I can understand it. Having a sense of your roots or culture or tradition is part of a person's identity, especially when you didn't grow up with it. I'm not adopted, but growing up without knowing much about my background or having any kind of spiritual/religious education... IDK, the last time I talked to my brother this came up (he is finally going about tracking down his birth certificate... which is evidently hard to do when you don't know your mother's maiden name), and it's just feels like we don't have a foundation; an existential crisis, perhaps. Meh, I usually file it under First World Problems to Ponder in the Cool Gray Dawn of Morning.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:51 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I grew up without knowing jack about my mothers family.

She was from Australia and she left home really young and NEVER went back and never kept in contact with her family members. I have a whole side of my life that I don't know anything about. I found one letter from her mother that was sent to her when I was born. I found it when we went through her stuff after she died.

I've stared at the envelope for a while and just can't make out the return address, too old and faded out.

I suppose I can somewhat understand my ex GF's thing, I think the adoption thing is really more at play than anything else, not knowing I suppose makes things worse for some people.

I started a thread about this over in the Aussie forum and a lot of people were helpful about it. I've off and on, very rarely actually, but have thought about trying to find them, but IDK, they are strangers really, at the end of the day. I have some cousins here that I haven't talked to since I was a kid. I guess I'm just not a "reach" out kind of guy in some ways.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Yeah, I guess for some that gap is more profound than others. Most of the time I couldn't give two ****s, but every once in a while I reflect on it.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:02 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I had to go to the grocery store for some things and all of the beer talk made me grab a Tecate. Nice and light and crisp, gonna throw it in the freezer for a few minutes before serving and then pour with a little dab of salt with a squeeze of citrus.

Good stuff.
I enjoy a few cold Dos Equis on a warm day.....

Dos Equis | Stay Thirsty

I enjoy a good rum or tequila sometimes, also...

Old 10-03-2016, 04:20 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9TpRfDdyU0

Old 10-03-2016, 06:20 PM

Friday, Sept 30, i had cataract surgery (lens replacement) in my left eye. Surgery was done at Eugene, OR, CBOC, a new VA Clinic.

There was no pain or discomfort. The staff & surgical team treated me with the most utmost respect, skill, & friendliness. It made my Day. IMHO, a surgery couldn't have been any better of an experience. I was somewhat awake throughout the surgery. I was given what some call, a twilight anesthesia.

Yesterday my Lady Ophthalmologist doc did some tests on me, (eye pressure,eye test, etc). She said my vision is now 20x30. She expects it to get to 20x20. When i first saw her my vision was 20x200, so blurred by cataracts, i couldn't see much of anything.

The Technology today & the skills of some of the doctors/surgeons is truly amazing & a wondrous thing to behold. It's Awesome to be able to see again , like i did when i was a teen...... my left eye doesn't need glasses now...

Old 10-03-2016, 06:21 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I'd love to go through life without needing glasses.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I'd love to go through life without needing glasses.
About 15 years ago i had to get some bifocal glasses to read books & for the internet use for both my eyes. In the last year +, the vision in my left eye got blurred gradually. The vision in my right eye is still pretty clear. Eventually i will have to get a new lens in my right eye, by removing the cataract lens.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:08 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Zested 30 limes yesterday. Can I say **** zesting limes? Such a pain in the butt.
Alright, I come back 12 hours later and still no clue, what the hell would you 'zest' 30 limes for?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I can understand it. Having a sense of your roots or culture or tradition is part of a person's identity, especially when you didn't grow up with it... and it's just feels like we don't have a foundation; an existential crisis, perhaps. Meh, I usually file it under First World Problems to Ponder in the Cool Gray Dawn of Morning.
My grandpa was adopted as a boy off of the "orphan train". Welts and scars on his back from laboring on a farm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Don't EVER do that again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I enjoy a few cold Dos Equis on a warm day.....
Or the end of a very bad no good drama filled -but nice and cool on the patio- Monday night!

Last edited by RbccL; 10-03-2016 at 07:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships