Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2016, 03:56 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I can see hoa's in situations such as condo's just by the nature of how they are setup. The ones that kill me is when you move into a SFR in a neighborhood and they have a yearly HOA fee, that would burn my azz. LOL.

When we bought our place years ago we had no chance of even being able to think of affording an actual house. The condos were 30 to 40 percent cheaper, so that's the route we went.

I'm leaning heavily to having a SFR when we move out of state. The condo HOA can be an ok deal for some people. Most of the costs associated with an HOA are a lot of the same ones you encounter as a home owner.

Things like water, sewer, trash, insurance, basic maintenance all these costs still hit a home owner, you just don't see it as much in one bill as you would have by paying the association.

It's a really good option for older people that want to typically downscale their living arrangements and not have to worry about exterior maintenance like painting and things similar to that.

Pros and cons either way for sure.
In my case, I have trainers, campers and machinery. I keep it parked in the alley behind the house. Eventually, I might use the equipment commercially, so a skid loader, grader or something along those lines. Nothing huge. But I rather keep it close by instead of paying storage fees. If I want to fix on the camper, I can work on where it is or back it in my driveway.

Tomorrow my parents sign papers on their new place. After 55 years in the same location. It will be a huge adjustment for them. But it's close by if they need anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 03:56 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've just always heard horror stories about HOAs where people get fined for leaving their garage door open too long or having holiday decorations up wrong or for painting the front door a non-sanctioned color. Maybe it'd be nice for the snow removal aspect, but the pompous busybodies I could do without.
Yep. I've heard horror stories and most of the time it's all driven from a couple of people on the board that are overly zealous on the rules or a neighbor or two that's got nothing better to do than police the hell out of everything.

The Mrs. Kravitz types. God I hate those types. Some people just takes things too far, in either direction, violating the rules too much and too flagrantly or the hyper prudes.

Both can suck.

Again, you could move into a nice appearing neighborhood and end up next a guy that likes to work in the garage all hours of the night or other horror stories you hear about bad neighbors.

It's a gamble on some level either way you go.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
In my case, I have trainers, campers and machinery. I keep it parked in the alley behind the house. Eventually, I might use the equipment commercially, so a skid loader, grader or something along those lines. Nothing huge. But I rather keep it close by instead of paying storage fees. If I want to fix on the camper, I can work on where it is or back it in my driveway.

Tomorrow my parents sign papers on their new place. After 55 years in the same location. It will be a huge adjustment for them. But it's close by if they need anything.
Are they moving in a house or a condo?? Must be a bit exciting in a way for them.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Are they moving in a house or a condo?? Must be a bit exciting in a way for them.
Condo. I know mother is excited.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Condo. I know mother is excited.
That's cool. Hopefully they don't have any of the aforementioned problems.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
That's cool. Hopefully they don't have any of the aforementioned problems.
No it's straight forward for them. They have friends there and activities. A nurse and meals provided. I feel better with them there. They'll have time to enjoy it too.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:37 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I have a buyer's agent, he is following up on the (list of questions) I have with the seller's agent. There were also some referenced Exhibits missing from the docs. I wouln't mind at all some size restrictions, heck, personally, I don't care about no dogs or cats.

I read enough legal docs at work, and have quickly come to hate lawyer language written for other lawyers. These docs are rife with it.
Some of the restrictions can be rather random. I was going to get each of the kids their own little gerbils or hamsters, with an extensive network of tubes running through the apartment, but apparently they aren't allowed because they fall under the "no rodents" clause.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:59 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
I'm not a fan of HOAs. My sister lives in a house in a sub where the garage door can't be left open for any length of time - except to get a vehicle in or out, of course. You won't find me living there.

I like the money pit that I live in, and I'm not bogged down paying for someone else to tell me whether I can open my door or fly a flag.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Some of the restrictions can be rather random. I was going to get each of the kids their own little gerbils or hamsters, with an extensive network of tubes running through the apartment, but apparently they aren't allowed because they fall under the "no rodents" clause.
LOL, we have a rabbit and I think that they are loosely part of the rodent family. At least I call her a rodent faced big eared rat. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I'm not a fan of HOAs. My sister lives in a house in a sub where the garage door can't be left open for any length of time - except to get a vehicle in or out, of course. You won't find me living there.

I like the money pit that I live in, and I'm not bogged down paying for someone else to tell me whether I can open my door or fly a flag.
I couldn't live like that either. On the other hand I sorta get it to a degree. I don't wanna live in a neighborhood where you have cars on lawns and other things like that. But overall if someone tells me to close my garage door they can just do what rhymes with the phrase "flow me"

Old 11-07-2016, 06:09 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,102,213 times
Quote:
LOL, we have a rabbit and I think that they are loosely part of the rodent family. At least I call her a rodent faced big eared rat. LOL.

I couldn't live like that either. On the other hand I sorta get it to a degree. I don't wanna live in a neighborhood where you have cars on lawns and other things like that. But overall if someone tells me to close my garage door they can just do what rhymes with the phrase "flow me"
Yeah, I get it, too, but I looked at the neighborhood several times before I bought. Granted people move out & others move in. I would hope that "peer-pressure" would solve most problems that might come up. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships