Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 02:04 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And, too, people locked into their own echo chambers that they're unwilling to even listen to what anyone else has to say. I love the story that Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Antonin Scalia were very good friends, even though their politics were diametrically opposed. That doesn't even seem possible anymore in today's political climate.
Yes, identity politics seems to be the order of the day. So many people just tow the party line without thinking for themselves. I judge and deal with issues. I work consciously to avoid group think. I wish more people would as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I text with some friends back in Southern California sometimes, like my old roommates. They've been complaining that it's the coolest Winter they've had since they've been there and the rainiest. We all moved out there from Jersey in September of 2010, but I moved to Florida in November of 2013 and the two of them stayed behind. One of them is going to Mexico with his girl on a surf trip for a few days at the end of next week. Should be a little warmer there. I remember when it was really hot there back in October or November of this past year. We always got some really stretches in October and into November for most of the years I was there.

A lot of older people I talk to have said JFK was the last real president. He was almost 20 years before I was born, so I didn't live through him. My grandfather says the country has been downhill since he was killed. A lot of older have such great things to say about the 50's and early 60's. Things were pretty affordable and people seemed happier. Then Kennedy got shot and then Vietnam happened, and things went downhill.

My grandfather also believes LBJ was behind the assassination. MLK's ''I have a dream'' speech was only about 3 months before Kennedy was killed.
Kennedy was before my time too. I've just been really paying attention to history the older I've gotten and with people like MLK. We've all heard about him in school, growing up learning about the civil rights movement. As a kid I was just like, Ok, whatever, just another typical thing you learn about in HS. Well, getting older now and having a bit more life experience I can really see the impact of his work and frankly his courage. He was a very courageous man with a very important and peace filled message. We just don't see that as much anymore. That's why guys like Farrakhan and Malcom X weren't revered as much, while they played an important role, they unfortunately didn't get the message out as well as MLK just because of the rhetoric and to be honest, hate filled at times ways of doing things. Peace will always be favored in the greater historical perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post

I have mine on now, Chow! Raining over here, too, and 40s? Weird, I was beginning to think all you guys on CD-R Chat lived in picture postcard-land of lakes and sunsets with the perfect drink in one hand and food for your wildlife friends in the other
Well, I won't lie, the weather here in So Cal really can't be beat overall. It's why it's crowded and expensive as hell to live here. I just can't get over how much it's been raining. We've probably received more rain the last 6 weeks than we have in a couple of seasons. The mountain ranges here are full of snow, it's down so low you can't miss it. Haven't seen the snow levels that far down the mountain since I can't recall.

You could literally drive an hour and half to snow and then go to the beach in the same day. We're getting a break today with the rain and the sun is out and shining. It's cool out, but with the sun it feels pretty good.

This is about the only time you are going to hear me praise Ca. I have a cons list about living here that is a scrolls length. The pro's list is just a couple of things, like weather and job opportunities, but that's about it. LOL

Old 01-21-2017, 05:21 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yes, identity politics seems to be the order of the day. So many people just tow the party line without thinking for themselves. I judge and deal with issues. I work consciously to avoid group think. I wish more people would as well.
I did enjoy watching the group think being demonstrated today though...and not just because of the pink kittycat ear hats.

WASHINGTON (AP) — "The Latest on the Women’s March on Washington and associated protests around the world (all times EST):

The Woman’s March on Washington didn’t yield a single arrest.

...In a global exclamation of defiance and solidarity, more than 1 million people rallied at women's marches in the nation's capital and cities around the world Saturday to send President Donald Trump an emphatic message on his first full day in office that they won't let his agenda go unchallenged...

It is safe to say the crowd at the Women’s March exceeded the 500,000 that organizers told city officials to expect. That would make it one of the largest demonstrations in the city’s history."

hmmmm...marchers around the world...no arrests

Old 01-21-2017, 06:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
^^Thats nothing short of amazing, especially after the rioting yesterday.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
^^Thats nothing short of amazing, especially after the rioting yesterday.
Women tend to be more civilized than man. Sorry to pick on the guys, but let's not kid ourselves over here.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:28 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Women tend to be more civilized than man. Sorry to pick on the guys, but let's not kid ourselves over here.
That's a myth. Peek into a women's public toilet and see how civilized they can be.

Just kidding, women I believe are less prone to violence. Not that they are incapable of it, but that isn't usually the first impulse for most women. We learn to 'kill 'em with kindness'.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
That's a myth. Peek into a women's public toilet and see how civilized they can be.

Just kidding, women I believe are less prone to violence. Not that they are incapable of it, but that isn't usually the first impulse for most women. We learn to 'kill 'em with kindness'.
I think society to a degree still frowns on women displaying anger and being aggressive, not a sociologist here, but I would place a bet on that one.

Yeah, in terms of the bathroom stuff, Mrs. Chow has told me it's nasty as hell. I wouldn't have guess it, but I guess a lot of women do certain things to not sit down on the john and this causes mess to occur.

I wouldn't have know this information but she told me and frankly... I wished she hadn't

Old 01-21-2017, 07:38 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
I agree with the women's bathrooms. I saw one at work where it looked liked someone was doing nunchaku with their tampon.

In today's society still, it is more acceptable for women to cry than to show any remnants of anger.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:02 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,105,782 times
Green Bay: WHAT are you doing? UGH.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:26 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Well, I won't lie, the weather here in So Cal really can't be beat overall. It's why it's crowded and expensive as hell to live here. I just can't get over how much it's been raining. We've probably received more rain the last 6 weeks than we have in a couple of seasons. The mountain ranges here are full of snow, it's down so low you can't miss it. Haven't seen the snow levels that far down the mountain since I can't recall.

You could literally drive an hour and half to snow and then go to the beach in the same day. We're getting a break today with the rain and the sun is out and shining. It's cool out, but with the sun it feels pretty good.

This is about the only time you are going to hear me praise Ca. I have a cons list about living here that is a scrolls length. The pro's list is just a couple of things, like weather and job opportunities, but that's about it. LOL
I spent 7 years working for Asian companies with their US offices in Orange County. Irvine and Tustin. I wasn't there very often but I don't care how good the weather is, I couldn't deal with that congestion every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships