Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 09:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post

Ugh…that NY accent. Mike's family is so funny to listen to…not quite as bad as My Cousin Vinnie…but close. He still sounds NY but not too bad Somehow I ended up neutral. Most people cannot tell where I am from. Oh and the south can be very different. NC to TN is big. The slow drawl I can understand but when I first moved to NC well that was another planet, lol. They sounded like they had cotton in their mouth and their tongues just couldn't form the words. Maybe it was chew:
Lol, I've been in NY for nearly 25 years now, and the accent still grates on my nerves sometimes. For petes sake, they drop the "r", but then randomly tack it on to words that end with an "a"... but then sometimes drop the "a", too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 11:58 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Lol, I've been in NY for nearly 25 years now, and the accent still grates on my nerves sometimes. For petes sake, they drop the "r", but then randomly tack it on to words that end with an "a"... but then sometimes drop the "a", too.
Back in the early days of OLD I remember reading a guy's profile, and at the end of his self-description he stated, 'and for you ladies who are into accents you will love me cuz I'm from New York and I do have the accent.'

Ummmm, no. That's a negative. I could handle Borat's accent before I could handle the ear-grating sound of a NY accent. Sorry to any CD-R members who speak like that I mean nothing personal, I just would want to get away all the time if I had to be around that accent day in and day out.

Exhibits A and B - Andrew Dice Clay and Fran Drescher.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:36 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I still find the concept of a litter box funny. Can you imagine if we did that ourselves? That would never happen, but it's okay to let theirs languish around in the box, stinking up the house. lol Every time our cat would go, I'd scoop it the blank out of there. I also feel sorry for the cats having to dig around in that.
Yeah I clean it every time one of them gets out. I was just telling someone this! I had company coming over, cleaned the box up, and that little one had to jump in and take a big dump as I walked to get the door!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think people get nose blind to their perfume/cologne, so they keep putting on more so they smell it not realizing that everyone else smells it just fine. One of my coworkers has regular meetings with my office mate, and you can smell that she's been there for hours afterward. And they never douse themselves in something I might not mind smelling, like Chanel No. 5.
I go out of my way to tell someone when they smell good, especially florals that I like, I feel like I'm reinforcing good behavior and they'll pick that scent next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
I miss some of the old-school perfumes. The other day I ordered some Jovan Musk oil off of Amazon, but it will not get here until Tuesday. I guess it's not enough for me just to listen to 80s music all the time. I want to smell like the 80s too.
Me too, smelling the 80s and listening to it makes me unreasonably happy
The music wasn't deep or dark and artistic, just filled with joy it seems. Now watch Belinda and tell me you don't want to get up and dance, don't women who experienced the 80s still dance like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f55KlPe81Yw

Old 02-20-2017, 02:58 AM

19,426 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yeah I clean it every time one of them gets out. I was just telling someone this! I had company coming over, cleaned the box up, and that little one had to jump in and take a big dump as I walked to get the door!
Lol, well, I wasn't obsessive about it, but it's just that we've been trained to think that it's not that big a deal. Seriously, if you actually think about it, it's horrendous! It's laying around in your HOUSE! lol Like I said, if we humans had that type of accident, we wouldn't leave it just sitting there, we'd get it the eff out! lol I don't know. It's just a weird thought to me... TMI. I'll stop.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,405,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think people get nose blind to their perfume/cologne, so they keep putting on more so they smell it not realizing that everyone else smells it just fine. One of my coworkers has regular meetings with my office mate, and you can smell that she's been there for hours afterward. And they never douse themselves in something I might not mind smelling, like Chanel No. 5.
When I was 12 or so, my mother and I lived with one of her friends at the time. I had some questions as to this woman's personal hygiene. She had these long, thick nails that were yellowing with nail polish coming off and some of her nails broken off. She would always stir up food with her hands. I never wanted to eat anything she cooked lest I find a broken fingernail in it. Her hair was unkempt. And she would practically bathe in this perfume by Avon called Timeless. I don't know if she just could not smell how much she put on or if she was trying to cover something up, but she always smelled like Timeless and funk. It will be too soon if I ever smell that godawful perfume again.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:58 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
It's going to be a beautiful day here in the mountains. Time to open up the house, do some cleaning(windows), and give the dog a bath. Oh and place some ads to sell stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
It's another beautiful day in MI. The garage is going to get a good straightening out. I came across a table with caters that I can use for a work bench. So I'm excited about that. Yeah, I get excited over the weirdest, simplest, cheapest things. Ha!
Oh I love using stuff I have for other things. Mike and I do that all the time. We often make a run down to the barn or the "store" to look for parts, lol. Last summer we made a really cool bathroom cabinet using a levour door and some left over furniture paint. It's nicer than it sounds.

Quote:
I miss some of the old-school perfumes. The other day I ordered some Jovan Musk oil off of Amazon, but it will not get here until Tuesday. I guess it's not enough for me just to listen to 80s music all the time. I want to smell like the 80s too.
Ha…I used to love that stuff. Not sure how it would be now…let us know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Well I'll be having my second cup of cawfee soon

Years ago I remember an older couple at a restaurant where I worked. I don't think they bathed often and they would douse themselves in some funky smelling perfume. They were really nice but man did they stink.

Other's perfume does't cling as much to me as cigarette smoke. If I am in a room with smokers my hair attracts it like bees to honey and I reek until my next shower.

OK…Mike is pacing…time to move along

Old 02-20-2017, 08:35 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post

Me too, smelling the 80s and listening to it makes me unreasonably happy
The music wasn't deep or dark and artistic, just filled with joy it seems. Now watch Belinda and tell me you don't want to get up and dance, don't women who experienced the 80s still dance like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f55KlPe81Yw
Speaking of smelling like the 80s - in early 80s it was Babe, late 80s was Electric Youth by Debbie Gibson. These were the two scents that stand out (I had a full arsenal of scents on the top of my 9-drawer dresser) because these two scents were the ones people would compliment when I wore them.

And yes to filled with joy - remember Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun? I learned recently that her song She Bop is about something specific and I was like what, no way! Then the next time I listened to the lyrics I was like, duh! How did I miss the message? And yeah, I still dance like that.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:30 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
And yes to filled with joy - remember Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun? I learned recently that her song She Bop is about something specific and I was like what, no way! Then the next time I listened to the lyrics I was like, duh! How did I miss the message?
Yes! I was young enough to yell: "oh gross!" and change the station after that.
Quote:
And yeah, I still dance like that.
I knew you would, it's ingrained

Old 02-20-2017, 09:58 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,104,386 times
Quote:
When I was 12 or so, my mother and I lived with one of her friends at the time. I had some questions as to this woman's personal hygiene. She had these long, thick nails that were yellowing with nail polish coming off and some of her nails broken off. She would always stir up food with her hands. I never wanted to eat anything she cooked lest I find a broken fingernail in it. Her hair was unkempt. And she would practically bathe in this perfume by Avon called Timeless. I don't know if she just could not smell how much she put on or if she was trying to cover something up, but she always smelled like Timeless and funk. It will be too soon if I ever smell that godawful perfume again.
I think of gross things every time I see someone with long nails. I don't like cashiers in any kind of store touching my stuff with long nails.

Many folks don't even wash their hands, and I can't be convinced that everyone with long nails scrubs under them every time they use the restroom or whatnot.

Old 02-20-2017, 12:33 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
They say that the sense of smell is the sense we have the triggers memories the most. I know it does for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
And yes to filled with joy - remember Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun? I learned recently that her song She Bop is about something specific and I was like what, no way! Then the next time I listened to the lyrics I was like, duh! How did I miss the message? And yeah, I still dance like that.
Yep, I remember back then it was about a woman with some quality alone time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships