Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2017, 10:08 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
20 years ago???

1995...every once in awhile when I get home from work at this time I think: "I wonder who's on Letterman tonight?"

I know what senility is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 02:34 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Gregg Allman passed away

(Yes, he was still alive )

I like how they put it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUm6bowDM7w/

Old 05-27-2017, 02:48 PM

52,250 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Gregg Allman passed away

(Yes, he was still alive )

I like how they put it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUm6bowDM7w/
Yeah, I heard he wasn't doing well a little while back. Sad to hear, but I guess we all get our card punched at some point. Hope he had a good run. I feel bad for the family, it's obviously hard on people who are here still.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Yeah, I heard he wasn't doing well a little while back. Sad to hear, but I guess we all get our card punched at some point. Hope he had a good run. I feel bad for the family, it's obviously hard on people who are here still.
Definitely.

I met him in Memphis once. He really was lovely, very attentive and nice to talk to. I was intimidated as all get-out but he put me at ease. He'd been interviewed a million and one times, but he didn't brush me off like I thought he might.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:44 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Another musican?

Old 05-27-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Another musican?
Yes, a true original, considered "the elder statesman" of what is called Southern rock (rock tinged with country and blues). He played keyboards and his brother Duane was a guitar genius who was killed in a motorcycle wreck at age 24, just after The Allman Brothers' Band's seminal album Live at the Fillmore East was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUvxRjYqjEQ

God, this song kills me. This isn't the best version of it, but it's

Old 05-27-2017, 03:54 PM

52,250 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Definitely.

I met him in Memphis once. He really was lovely, very attentive and nice to talk to. I was intimidated as all get-out but he put me at ease. He'd been interviewed a million and one times, but he didn't brush me off like I thought he might.
I wasn't a huge fan of his music, but he definitely made a mark in the landscape for sure. Gene Simmons has a reputation for being a jerk and it's pretty widely known he's got a major ego on him. Way way back when I was a teenager one of our local rock stations would periodically interview musicians as they came into town they'd do radio to plug the shows they were dong or whatever. We met a bunch of people that way, well we wait for him and talk to him as he's leaving the station. Well, this particular time there were only a handful of people waiting for him and he talks to everyone and signs stuff. As the others we're leaving it was just me and my GF at the time standing there talking to him.

He actually talked to us for probably about 10 or 15 minutes. I thought that that was really cool of him. I mean there were no cameras or any fanfare and he could have just easily jumped in his limo and took off. I don't know, I remember it like it was yesterday and always gave him a bit of break when people rag on him. He didn't have to spend that much time with us. Maybe we caught him on a good day. We talked about newer up coming bands because he spends a lot of time discovering bands. Fun fact, he discovered and help to fund Van Halen's first album. I was wearing a Queesnryche t shirt at the time and we talked about that band a lot. They weren't really big yet and were still sorta obscure at the time.

Sorry, went off on a tangent. LOL.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:57 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Yes, a true original, considered "the elder statesman" of what is called Southern rock (rock tinged with country and blues). He played keyboards and his brother Duane was a guitar genius who was killed in a motorcycle wreck at age 24, just after The Allman Brothers' Band's seminal album was released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUvxRjYqjEQ
I see I've not heard of him so thank you for posting that my love

Old 05-27-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I wasn't a huge fan of his music, but he definitely made a mark in the landscape for sure. Gene Simmons has a reputation for being a jerk and it's pretty widely known he's got a major ego on him. Way way back when I was a teenager one of our local rock stations would periodically interview musicians as they came into town they'd do radio to plug the shows they were dong or whatever. We met a bunch of people that way, well we wait for him and talk to him as he's leaving the station. Well, this particular time there were only a handful of people waiting for him and he talks to everyone and signs stuff. As the others we're leaving it was just me and my GF at the time standing there talking to him.

He actually talked to us for probably about 10 or 15 minutes. I thought that that was really cool of him. I mean there were no cameras or any fanfare and he could have just easily jumped in his limo and took off. I don't know, I remember it like it was yesterday and always gave him a bit of break when people rag on him. He didn't have to spend that much time with us. Maybe we caught him on a good day. We talked about newer up coming bands because he spends a lot of time discovering bands. Fun fact, he discovered and help to fund Van Halen's first album. I was wearing a Queesnryche t shirt at the time and we talked about that band a lot. They weren't really big yet and were still sorta obscure at the time.

Sorry, went off on a tangent. LOL.
I could talk about music and musicians all day and all night.

I really got into Gene's reality show and thought he seemed like a pretty cool guy. His kids really impressed me. Maybe that was Shannon's doing .

Definitely one of those people you sort of "meet where they're at" though.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I see I've not heard of him so thank you for posting that my love

You're lucky you aren't here, or I'd take you for a looooooooooooong drive on the backroads while listening to Allman Brothers the entire way.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships