Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 08:55 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Barefoot Contessa is a total hack. 'Use your good vanilla'...'use your good butter'..when do I get to use the cheap-ass vanilla, the fake butter, and all the other inferior, crummy ingredients I keep in ample supply in my pantry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I kind of love Ina because she's just an effortlessly snobby white lady. She has an interesting history and great cooking chops, so she's fun to watch (alongside all of her preppy friends creating tablescapes with scraps from her garden.)
Gotta say I'm with DontH8Me on this one.

I'll watch if I'm flipping and she's working on something which looks interesting, but mostly if she's on all I can think is how I don't believe I could stand her company for long if she's that way in real life.

"Effortlessly snobby." That's wonderful. You nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 12:37 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
?Barefoot Contessa is a total hack. 'Use your good vanilla'...'use your good butter'..when do I get to use the cheap-ass vanilla, the fake butter, and all the other inferior, crummy ingredients I keep in ample supply in my pantry?
Lmao! What I never got is, if you're watching her show trying to learn how to cook, how are you supposed to know what's a "good" vanilla, a "good" mayo, etc.

Chow gets irritated at her because, as he says, she invites people to a party and then makes them do all the work. lol

Quote:
I didn't see you waving - was that you walking a rabbit on a leash wearing a wide brimmed sun hat?
Yes, she likes going to the farmers market.

Quote:
I don't mind you asking - I'm a liberal studies major doing an integrated teaching dual credential, so when I graduate with my B.A. I will be ready to teach. I'm in my fifth year as a full time student, and this semester is the second time I am taking 16 units all at once. And this time, no online classes. It's kinda nutty but I'm still managing. The state exams are a bigger pain!
Wow. I admire your tenacity. And you have kids, too, right? I think you definitely deserve some sort of reward to keep you going.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:48 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
My daughter keeps talking about going to Playa Vista because a lot of her classmates live there. How do you like it?

Barefoot Contessa is a total hack. 'Use your good vanilla'...'use your good butter'..when do I get to use the cheap-ass vanilla, the fake butter, and all the other inferior, crummy ingredients I keep in ample supply in my pantry?

I didn't see you waving - was that you walking a rabbit on a leash wearing a wide brimmed sun hat?

I don't mind you asking - I'm a liberal studies major doing an integrated teaching dual credential, so when I graduate with my B.A. I will be ready to teach. I'm in my fifth year as a full time student, and this semester is the second time I am taking 16 units all at once. And this time, no online classes. It's kinda nutty but I'm still managing. The state exams are a bigger pain!
I'm not super familiar with the area, but from what I can see it's on the nicer side. That part of LA area is getting into the nicer higher end old money. Culver city is down the street from that part of town and Sony pictures has a HUGE lot there. Did some work there and the surrounding areas are pretty solidly upper middle class for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Gotta say I'm with DontH8Me on this one.

I'll watch if I'm flipping and she's working on something which looks interesting, but mostly if she's on all I can think is how I don't believe I could stand her company for long if she's that way in real life.

"Effortlessly snobby." That's wonderful. You nailed it.

Yeah, we don't really go out of our way to watch her but if she's on we'll watch it. I get the sense that she's pretty isolated from reality as she's living in the Hampton's and you can tell her and the hubby got a little bread. Effortlessly snobby is pretty good way to label her. I think the woman isn't a mean kind of snob, but again, she travels in much different circles than the likes of me. I'm an average joe doing the 9 to 5 grind.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:54 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Lmao! What I never got is, if you're watching her show trying to learn how to cook, how are you supposed to know what's a "good" vanilla, a "good" mayo, etc.
It's the most expensive artisanal kind, obvs. I also love when she says things like "ask your fishmonger about..." as if most Americans have a fishmonger other than the guy at the grocery store. I said her snobbery is effortless because, yeah, she doesn't seem mean-spirited about anything, she's just a rich lady from the Hamptons. Her BFF Martha, on the other hand....

Old 04-09-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
It's the most expensive artisanal kind, obvs.
lol I actually do insist on using the same mayo she does, Hellmann's, which is called Best Foods here. I grew up on it, and any other brand just tastes off to me. It annoys the hell out of Chow because it does cost more, but I do put my foot down on that one.

Quote:
I also love when she says things like "ask your fishmonger about..." as if most Americans have a fishmonger other than the guy at the grocery store. I said her snobbery is effortless because, yeah, she doesn't seem mean-spirited about anything, she's just a rich lady from the Hamptons. Her BFF Martha, on the other hand....
Lol! I know. I didn't even know people still actually used the word "fishmonger" anymore.

Chow said the butcher at our grocery store is there from about 6:00a to 3:00p. Once he leaves, they have some kind of assistant there for backup. The butcher is skilled and always happy to help, but the last time Chow asked the other guy to prepare a cut of meat for him, the guy just stared at him, like either he had no clue what Chow was talking about or he was about to tell him to go pound sand. Fishmonger indeed.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:21 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Getting ready to go to a funeral. Man... shouldn't be burying your friends or peers at late 40.

Life is a mother f er at times, this much is true.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:21 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Life is short. Don't waste any!

Now if I can just figure out how to follow my own advice.

Just an observation, but it seems to me God lets miserable people live a long time. If my observation is correct - then miserable people can waste as much life as they want.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:57 AM

??? WTH? I thought Easter happened weeks ago.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:52 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
??? The next event is May Day. Get your poles and ribbons ready!

Old 04-16-2018, 11:20 AM

602 posts, read 395,977 times
I'm excited that Cinco de Mayo is on a Saturday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships