Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 07:26 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,057,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Got some disappointing news...

My mother's old coworker asked me if I was interested in a job where she works. She told me to apply and if I got the job I would be working directly under her. She made it seem was in charge of the hiring process, and it was if she was basically giving it to me. Unfortunately, we found out today she didn't have as much control over the hiring process as she thought. They had over 135 applications and the HR manager has to grade them. Nine times out of ten most of them are WAY more experienced than me, so it's a long shot. Ugh....I learned my lesson though.
I had someone tell me they could get me into a particular facility. It took a few applications and a couple interviews, and a few months wait, but it happened, and it will be the job that in a few years I will retire from with a pension, TDA, and health insurance.

The moral of the story? Well, there are two:

1. The best jobs Ive even had I got because I knew someone who offered to help (i.e. networking).

2. Good things come to those who wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 08:42 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,711,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I had someone tell me they could get me into a particular facility. It took a few applications and a couple interviews, and a few months wait, but it happened, and it will be the job that in a few years I will retire from with a pension, TDA, and health insurance.

The moral of the story? Well, there are two:

1. The best jobs Ive even had I got because I knew someone who offered to help (i.e. networking).

2. Good things come to those who wait.

Yeah, took me 10 years of plugging away at it to get the position I wanted after grad school. It's something never to quit on.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:07 AM

16,233 posts, read 27,273,573 times
Has anyone worked so long and hard on a project that once you're done with it, you can't even rest? Ugh.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,087,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Has anyone worked so long and hard on a project that once you're done with it, you can't even rest? Ugh.
Sounds like you're still in crisis mode. Hope the adrenaline wears off soon!

Guys, let me paint you a picture: I looked out the window this morning to see what the weather situation was, and saw my across-the-street neighbor standing next to her car, which is parked on the street in front of my house. Several feet away is her 4 or 5-year-old kid, pants dropped, PEEING ON THE SIDEWALK right where the street sidewalk intersects the walk up to my house. Then they just get in the car and drive away, leaving a small puddle slowly creeping up the sidewalk.

I'd just gotten out of the shower, so I wasn't in any state to confront anyone, and that's not really a neighbor conversation I ever thought I'd need to have. I get that kids that age aren't great at anticipating these things, but geez. Go to your home. Or make him pee in the grass, at least.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 AM

51,847 posts, read 52,247,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Yeah, probably just the stress. I think you are around my age give or take and I know you've been going to school and I get how hard it is.

I took a new position in the same basic industry but a different segment of it and I have to get a couple of certifications and I don't know where I'm going to find the energy to do that. They are things I can study for online and at home so not having to go to a classroom environment gives me some flexibility and all, but again, I get up at 5:30 to fight traffic go through the grind at work, get home at 5pm or later and now having to see about doing homework/studying at night, man, I just don't know how I'm going to do it. I ain't 20 years old any more, I did the work and go to school thing in the past and you've got the energy to do it when you're a kid. Plus for me traffic here in LA is just killer and the older I'm getting it's just taking it out of me more and more. I used to be able to handle it but for it to take upwards of 1.5 hours just to go 22 miles or so is just taxing as hell.

I'm trying to work up the energy to start, I'll probably start after summer is over, this certification isn't something that has to happen today but I am getting slight reminders that I "need" to get it done.

So in other words I know how you feel, been there in the past and will be again shortly in the future.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:44 AM

20,210 posts, read 14,434,494 times
I just sent my oldest and first kid off to Job Corps in another state. Put him on a plane yesterday. He is 19. It freaked me out a little, launching my first kid outta the nest and all. Here's hoping they take one lazy teenager and return us a qualified welder...

Old 05-16-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I just sent my oldest and first kid off to Job Corps in another state. Put him on a plane yesterday. He is 19. It freaked me out a little, launching my first kid outta the nest and all. Here's hoping they take one lazy teenager and return us a qualified welder...
Good for him. I'm hearing more and more that some people are starting to opt out on tradition college a bit more these days. I love college, love learning, I'm a big fan of all of that but you are hearing more stories about kids coming out of college without a lot of solid job projects and they are running up tens of thousands of dollars of debt. We've been churning out a lot of highly educated baristas and again, no problem with college but you also have to be pragmatic on some level too.

Welding among a whole bunch of other trade or technical jobs are out there waiting and you don't run up as much college/training debt. Just another option to think about. There are of course occupations where you have to follow specifc college curriculums but I read some stat about how some HUGE percent of people get jobs that have little to nothing to do with what they studied in college.

Hope the kid comes back with a solid employable skill set.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:52 AM

20,210 posts, read 14,434,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Good for him. I'm hearing more and more that some people are starting to opt out on tradition college a bit more these days. I love college, love learning, I'm a big fan of all of that but you are hearing more stories about kids coming out of college without a lot of solid job projects and they are running up tens of thousands of dollars of debt. We've been churning out a lot of highly educated baristas and again, no problem with college but you also have to be pragmatic on some level too.

Welding among a whole bunch of other trade or technical jobs are out there waiting and you don't run up as much college/training debt. Just another option to think about. There are of course occupations where you have to follow specifc college curriculums but I read some stat about how some HUGE percent of people get jobs that have little to nothing to do with what they studied in college.

Thanks!

Job Corps...well, it's a tough environment from what I've heard. But it is free...free flight to the center, free room and board, free vocational training, free books/equipment/uniform...free. They fly them home for winter break and back. They get free medical, dental and vision while there. Free.

It's funded by the Dept. of Labor. It is for low-income people, but if a "kid" is over 18, it's their income and not the parents that is counted. Kids can get credits to finish high school if needed, driver's ed (which here, is not offered in public school anymore, you can pay one of the little businesses like $400 to do the full driver's ed thing if you want, or teach a kid yourself.) And then there is the actual vocational training. Lots of construction and mechanic type jobs, IT certs, healthcare professions, etc. Free childcare for the teenage mom types, too. And we're told he can join Fire Crew and earn wages, which are held in an escrow account for him. Some kids leave after a couple of years with enough saved to buy a car. He plans to do that. So he'll maybe also get some firefighting experience up in the Montana wilderness. And then they help them with job placement when they get out.

I just found out about this whole thing from a friend a few months ago. Great way to deal with a "technically adult" teenager with no gumption to get off his backside and get a life. He'll get more structure and purpose up there, I hope, and it should make a difference.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Thanks!

Job Corps...well, it's a tough environment from what I've heard. But it is free...free flight to the center, free room and board, free vocational training, free books/equipment/uniform...free. They fly them home for winter break and back. They get free medical, dental and vision while there. Free.

It's funded by the Dept. of Labor. It is for low-income people, but if a "kid" is over 18, it's their income and not the parents that is counted. Kids can get credits to finish high school if needed, driver's ed (which here, is not offered in public school anymore, you can pay one of the little businesses like $400 to do the full driver's ed thing if you want, or teach a kid yourself.) And then there is the actual vocational training. Lots of construction and mechanic type jobs, IT certs, healthcare professions, etc. Free childcare for the teenage mom types, too. And we're told he can join Fire Crew and earn wages, which are held in an escrow account for him. Some kids leave after a couple of years with enough saved to buy a car. He plans to do that. So he'll maybe also get some firefighting experience up in the Montana wilderness. And then they help them with job placement when they get out.

I just found out about this whole thing from a friend a few months ago. Great way to deal with a "technically adult" teenager with no gumption to get off his backside and get a life. He'll get more structure and purpose up there, I hope, and it should make a difference.
I wish the best. I have nothing but best wishes for young people, as cliché as it is, they are the future, we need to help people (kids) help themselves. That's all good.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:44 PM

8,916 posts, read 7,662,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

College is about networking. It's best to get involved in extracurricular activities like clubs, volunteer work, job fairs, etc. They also have on campus jobs, but of course they'e particular about who they hire. From what I'm seeing, a college education helps maybe 40 to 50% in terms of getting a job. The other half comes from just knowing people and having connections.

I have one more year left, so I'm really going to hussle and grind even harder to make connections to the outside world through college. I'm hoping it will all pay off before I graduate next May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships