Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2018, 10:54 AM

20,210 posts, read 14,434,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Yes, ick. That could go on for years...make him quit that job!

Heh. I know exactly how that feels. Let me know if you figure out how to deal with it.
I disagree. If it makes him feel validated and positive, I say let him have that. As long as one trusts one's partner, there shouldn't be an issue.

It feels good when people say nice stuff to you. If you smell an agenda, then you can and dismiss said agenda. Just because she wants something, doesn't mean she's gonna get it.

If I had a male coworker who always told me I looked nice or praised my abilities on the job, I would be really appalled if my boyfriend told me to quit my job because he clearly just wants to get in my pants. So long as he's being respectful and not taking it to a completely inappropriate place (such as overt flirting or worse, touching) then I don't see the issue. Especially if it's a good job, I don't think it makes sense to be expected to quit because some person is saying such things.

I'd be thrilled if more women would stroke my guy's ego. He's a wonderful man, and I wish more people took the time to appreciate him--he deserves it! I trust him to be honest with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 11:01 AM

10,337 posts, read 5,817,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I disagree. If it makes him feel validated and positive, I say let him have that. As long as one trusts one's partner, there shouldn't be an issue.

It feels good when people say nice stuff to you. If you smell an agenda, then you can and dismiss said agenda. Just because she wants something, doesn't mean she's gonna get it.

If I had a male coworker who always told me I looked nice or praised my abilities on the job, I would be really appalled if my boyfriend told me to quit my job because he clearly just wants to get in my pants. So long as he's being respectful and not taking it to a completely inappropriate place (such as overt flirting or worse, touching) then I don't see the issue. Especially if it's a good job, I don't think it makes sense to be expected to quit because some person is saying such things.

I'd be thrilled if more women would stroke my guy's ego. He's a wonderful man, and I wish more people took the time to appreciate him--he deserves it! I trust him to be honest with me.
What?! Why would I seriously suggest she tell him to quit his job?
Strange.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:02 AM

51,847 posts, read 52,247,919 times
It's really all just a joke at the end of the day. The woman is a customer/client of ours. I'd never cross any boundaries and all she did was just comment about how I sounded like I know what I'm doing. I was chairing a meeting of various contractors and I put on my "authority" cap and pretended to know what I was talking about. LOL.

Mrs. Chow was just sort of joking around. I'm sure she's not really worried.

Old 06-25-2018, 11:27 AM

Sorry! Another case of failure to pick up tone, via text. Carry on!

Old 06-25-2018, 11:30 AM

10,337 posts, read 5,817,081 times
Quote:
Sorry! Another case of failure to pick up tone, via text. Carry on!
It's ok, my problem, I get that a lot

Old 06-25-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
It's ok, my problem, I get that a lot
I think it happens to many of us. I've been doing the forum thing long enough though to just be like, " Oh, heck, sorry!" when I misunderstand like that, I've been on both sides of it plenty of times.

Oh hey, in other "chit chat" type news guys, I sent my oldest son off to Job Corps in Montana and I hadn't heard a lot from him during his first month+ of in-processing, and I've been going crazy with questions... He finally called me last night! YAY! He is acclimating well, making friends, and enjoying being there. Recently they went "down to the lake" and he saw his first moose! Which he said was, "frickin huge." He has been accepted into the welding training program he wanted, which I think he said is starting today.

I'm so relieved. I know I need to let go and accept that he's an adult now (19) and all, but I was still fretting over how it was going and if people were being mean or nice to him and if the food is good and whether he's eating enough and if he needs warmer clothes and... Yeah.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:13 PM

19,212 posts, read 15,079,779 times
Lol! Sorry, I didn't mean to cause a problem.

No, everything's fine. I just thought it was funny. He told me and that *was* my first reaction, this look: Like I've mentioned before, I'm usually the one who has to tell him when I think someone likes or is flirting with him. lol

I appreciate the support here.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:15 PM

19,212 posts, read 15,079,779 times
That's good news, Sonic. Adult is adult, but it's still scary to take that first step out into the "real" world.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:00 PM

51,847 posts, read 52,247,919 times
Quote:
I think it happens to many of us. I've been doing the forum thing long enough though to just be like, " Oh, heck, sorry!" when I misunderstand like that, I've been on both sides of it plenty of times.

Oh hey, in other "chit chat" type news guys, I sent my oldest son off to Job Corps in Montana and I hadn't heard a lot from him during his first month+ of in-processing, and I've been going crazy with questions... He finally called me last night! YAY! He is acclimating well, making friends, and enjoying being there. Recently they went "down to the lake" and he saw his first moose! Which he said was, "frickin huge." He has been accepted into the welding training program he wanted, which I think he said is starting today.

I'm so relieved. I know I need to let go and accept that he's an adult now (19) and all, but I was still fretting over how it was going and if people were being mean or nice to him and if the food is good and whether he's eating enough and if he needs warmer clothes and... Yeah.
That's good news. 19 is pretty young still but it's good to hear he's got a plan in place and moving forward, that's always good. I was going to college at 19 but I was pretty unaware of where I was headed. I was too busy drinking with my buddies and screwing off. I did manage to make it through school, I got my AS degree but that's pretty much just an extension of your high school diploma, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

I know my dad was happy and proud. I can still see him in my mind on that graduation day. I'm glad that it was such big deal to him.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That's good news. 19 is pretty young still but it's good to hear he's got a plan in place and moving forward, that's always good. I was going to college at 19 but I was pretty unaware of where I was headed. I was too busy drinking with my buddies and screwing off. I did manage to make it through school, I got my AS degree but that's pretty much just an extension of your high school diploma, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

I know my dad was happy and proud. I can still see him in my mind on that graduation day. I'm glad that it was such big deal to him.
A lot of people do not know about Job Corps. I've been telling people about it. It's kind of an awesome program for kids who are either on the brink of being high school dropouts, or are very young adults who need more structure and motivation and aren't really "launching" very well. I believe they take kids age 16-23, and they can help them finish high school, do driver's ed, and get vocational training. They've even got child care for young parents if that's needed. And they help place them in jobs once they finish. And it is, every part of it, room, board, books, gear, travel...everything...is completely free. It's a "low income" program, but if the kid is 18+, then it's their income and not the parents' that is counted.

We have a job lined up for my son, when he finishes this in about 2 years, where the pay today is about $30/hour or more, so he'll be able to make excellent money when he's done.

One thing...I always thought that the trades were a good idea for my son, but for the longest time I wasn't sure how he was to go about learning. Like...something about apprenticing? How do you find someone to apprentice with? Do apprentices get paid? How does any of that work? Well, no, I wasn't tracking the trade schools, let alone Job Corps.

And they put them to work while they are there, which helps build work ethics in kids whose parents struggled to get them off video games and make them do stuff. They've got fire crew up there, and other sorts of state infrastructure work they have the kids do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships