Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 02:00 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times

Advertisements

Oh, and the only super-toxic man I know well enough in person, who engages in some of this sort of thinking (or at least got into it for a little while) was the ex...insofar as guys I know well enough to be aware of their history and upbringing.

His mother baggage, is that he found out he was adopted, his adoptive parents had a natural son, and he felt ignored and shoved aside in favor of his little brother. He believes every woman who has ever had a significant place in his life has "thrown him away like trash." His adoptive mother was very enabling and forgiving and even protective, and his adoptive father was abusive. He disregarded and took for granted the love of his mom, and longed for praise and recognition from his dad. His mom did not hold him much because like many women of the time, she smoked heavily, and she said she accidentally burned him once, so after that she left him in his playpen a lot. Eventually both of his parents cheated, and they got divorced. She never remarried.

So from mom: lack of contact and affection, lack of good boundaries, lack of accountability.
From dad: physical abuse, lack of recognition, not much love once bio-son came along.
...and then even though the divorce and cheating were mutual, he would see that as mom (morally inferior female) abandoning the father he worshiped even though he also hated him at the same time.

Men are the force of authority, and women have to put up with everything to prove they love and want you. But they'll inevitably abandon you the minute "something shiny" comes along. There is a lot of push/pull going on with anyone he is close to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 02:04 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
I think you may have been a fly too long...what's an R. E.?

Old 08-16-2018, 02:42 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I think you may have been a fly too long...what's an R. E.?
I think it's a reference to a mass killer from Cal. who called himself a supreme gentleman. Initials are actually reversed.

In any case I think that guy acted much like people in the throes of hyper religiosity, so the mental illness angle probably applies to a lesser or greater extent. The online emotional ghettos these guys frequent share echos of race based hate groups, cults, and conspiracy theorist devotees. Not a lot of mental stability or critical thought in any of those ideas/movements.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:23 PM

52,259 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I think it's a reference to a mass killer from Cal. who called himself a supreme gentleman. Initials are actually reversed.

In any case I think that guy acted much like people in the throes of hyper religiosity, so the mental illness angle probably applies to a lesser or greater extent. The online emotional ghettos these guys frequent share echos of race based hate groups, cults, and conspiracy theorist devotees. Not a lot of mental stability or critical thought in any of those ideas/movements.
Elliot Rogers, perhaps is what she meant.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post

Roger.
It is a mental illness. It is a type of paranoia and Paraphrenia, suspicious delusions. Not set out in any coherent way, no concrete theory or formal ideology. There is no way to anticipate the train of thought. Illogical characterizations of women as childlike and shallow, yet powerful enough to be the oppressor. Mental illness is an appropriate description.

"Emotional Ghetto" thank you, love it.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Elliot Rogers, perhaps is what she meant.
Why would we be not allowed to discuss him, or call him by name though?

Old 08-16-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I assumed it was a type O on her part, nothing more than that, I could be wrong I guess, I don't know.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:05 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
I've been told not to.

It's ok, though, maybe since this is off topic, the rules are looser?

At any rate, the online community of the people who use words like hypergamy, and who frequently throw around anatomic words for specific parts of the face that even anthropologists probably don't use, like the little furrow between the bottom of the nose and the top of the lip, the slope and depth of orbital cavities, etc. consider 'Voldemort' to be their national hero.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:41 AM

Has anyone ever seen the movie Phantom Thread? We watched it recently and it was just an odd movie, a little slow but IDK, had sort of a character study kind of vibe in that there were strange dynamics at play between three of the leads and it showed situations and people in a way that made you see just how irrational and/or complicated the human animal is. I'm half thinking about starting a thread on it just because it is so based on relationships. IDK, my threads never really go far, they're usually not strange enough or controversial, I think anyways.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:12 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Phantom Thread is on my list, but I haven't seen it yet.

Does anyone have a foolproof way to get a song out of your head? I've had Tracy Chapman's Fast Car on repeat in my brain for days. Days. It's a great song, but it's super depressing to contemplate the lyrics all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwrH...=RDDwrHwZyFN7M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships