Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 01:58 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
You're so sick your can choke if you lay down? Can you try a antihistamine?

It might have cost me some office clout or respect but if I'm sick, I leave.
When I have some bronchial-sinus thing, I can breathe better in the recliner. I guess it's not about clout, but I just had it drummed into my head from my parents that there is no reason to ever miss work. I even have available PTO. I just got up, took a shower, felt a little better and kept on walking.

I don't know what's happened with the next generations, but when I talk about how the most important qualification for employment is to Come to Work Every Day and On time, they look at me like I'm old and telling them to get off my lawn. It's a different world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 02:06 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
When I have some bronchial-sinus thing, I can breathe better in the recliner. I guess it's not about clout, but I just had it drummed into my head from my parents that there is no reason to ever miss work. I even have available PTO. I just got up, took a shower, felt a little better and kept on walking.

I don't know what's happened with the next generations, but when I talk about how the most important qualification for employment is to Come to Work Every Day and On time, they look at me like I'm old and telling them to get off my lawn. It's a different world.
You would totally hate working with me. I firmly believe that PTO is a benefit, and I don't feel guilty about using my benefits, and unless the field demands it, that everyone's schedule should be as flexible as they need it to be. Coming into an office and sitting at a desk from 8 to 5 just isn't necessary in many jobs.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:48 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You would totally hate working with me. I firmly believe that PTO is a benefit, and I don't feel guilty about using my benefits, and unless the field demands it, that everyone's schedule should be as flexible as they need it to be. Coming into an office and sitting at a desk from 8 to 5 just isn't necessary in many jobs.
You're right! I know it isn't, as I won't be. I'm talking about the people always pushing the limits and wanting to know, "If I call in again without any sick time or PTO, what happens?"

Well just don't, how about that?
I do use my PTO, but I'm thinking about the people doing face time at their desk, coming in exactly 6 minutes late to clock in because they get 7 minutes before time is taken off their day. Always the same as who are sick on Monday.

Vent over.

Last edited by RbccL; 01-29-2019 at 02:57 PM..

Old 01-29-2019, 03:36 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
You're right! I know it isn't, as I won't be. I'm talking about the people always pushing the limits and wanting to know, "If I call in again without any sick time or PTO, what happens?"

Well just don't, how about that?
I do use my PTO, but I'm thinking about the people doing face time at their desk, coming in exactly 6 minutes late to clock in because they get 7 minutes before time is taken off their day. Always the same as who are sick on Monday.

Vent over.
There you go again, showing off your lofty ethics. Miss THANG.

I'm just as bad, people in my cohort coast in mere minutes before class begins, I'm in the classroom, prepping for the day and talking to my master teacher 45 minutes before class begins.

Old 01-29-2019, 04:03 PM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
...I'm in the classroom, ..... 45 minutes before class begins.
Republican!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:46 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
Thought I'd share some of my art with you guys

CDR Chat Thread #31-screenshot_20190102-093912_snapchat.jpg

Old 01-31-2019, 08:19 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Cool art, Auraliea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Part of the reason too that I've been forcing myself to be here, is also that I've tried and tried to make it in the door on time, and usually I manage, but once in a while I'm a minute or two late. Well according to the big boss around here, if you badge in at your start time, you are late. In fact he wants everyone to try and be here half an hour early. Early is on time, on time is late. He simply believes that getting in early "looks professional." That's literally the only reason he's got for this. The work I do...it really does not matter what time I do it, in fact I could do this from home, but that isn't an option.

I've been struggling with this for years because I had a kid I had to get out the door, make sure he made his bus, and many mornings I drive like an absolute maniac trying to beat the clock by seconds or a minute. But it's just like...excuses don't matter. It is that mindset that will have me coming to work even when I'm sick. And yeah, another coworker is out today, she might have caught what I have had. Oh well. I told everyone to stay away from me.

I mean I work for a company where...the pressure to succeed and perform drove a member of our upper management to suicide many years ago, so they named a company award after him. I always thought that was kinda ridiculous.

But as for "kids these days"...well. When I was a very young adult, I lost jobs for missing work, I can't say I've always been all responsible and such. It was having kids and really needing the reliable paycheck that changed all that for me.

I'm doing somewhat better today. Yesterday was so miserable I had no choice, I did call in. The headache and sore throat were so vicious that I was taking hydrocodone I had left over from a root canal. That ought to tell ya something, the pain I was in was worse than a root canal. So yesterday was all drugs, hot baths, and sleep.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:33 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
That place sounds toxic. Blech. No thanks.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:50 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That place sounds toxic. Blech. No thanks.
Mm...yes and no?

Those things are kinda asinine, I think. But they pay me better than anyone else is going to unless I finish my degree, and the idea of going back to school...ugh. Just ugh. Benefits are good. The dress code is pretty chill (which matters some to me, I hate having to dress all "business casual" or formal.) I get along with my coworkers for the most part, and those I don't like I can politely ignore most of the time. There's a lot about this job that doesn't suck, and I do think it's the best I'm gonna get with my qualifications in this area. So, I do what I gotta do.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:53 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Well yeah, we all gotta do what we have to do, but I wouldn't deal well with that petty stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships