Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2019, 10:47 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,656,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
I can imagine how difficult it will be. Im a total control freak, i have no idea how i will handle letting go and letting them make their own mistakes. My goal has always been to raise well rounded functioning members of society but momma bear mode creeps in every so often. My parents were the same, they wanted us independent but my mom still calls to ask me if i've fed my children.
Uh huh.

Yes, we all want to raise well rounded functioning members of society. And yet unfortunately...like you can be trucking along and everything looks great and suddenly it all goes sideways somehow because of one unwise choice... And sadly we've got to acknowledge that to be young is to be unwise, by nature. They can't help it. Even the "mature" ones do things that just make you go .

I'm just trying really, really hard to hammer into them, to just TRY not to make any mistakes that they have to live with for life. The life altering or life ending kind. Like yes, we all know there's a certain quota of stupid you absolutely will have to get up to in order to learn lessons. Can we just let it be the sort you can recover from in a little while, rather than the sort that follows you forever or kills you...please please...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 11:10 AM

4,042 posts, read 2,711,107 times
I get where you are coming from as far as raising kids... It was me and my son for a very long time and I tried to instill in him to make wise choices....he did make some stupid "teenaged" choices though. Darn kids!

As far as being thankful for the little things... Oh my Yes. My son got into a horrible motorcycle accident in October and was not expected to survive. The last few months have been insanely intense and daunting. But he survived and I am eternally grateful! And the smallest of things make me happy now

Old 02-14-2019, 11:26 AM

880 posts, read 531,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlj1225 View Post
I get where you are coming from as far as raising kids... It was me and my son for a very long time and I tried to instill in him to make wise choices....he did make some stupid "teenaged" choices though. Darn kids!

As far as being thankful for the little things... Oh my Yes. My son got into a horrible motorcycle accident in October and was not expected to survive. The last few months have been insanely intense and daunting. But he survived and I am eternally grateful! And the smallest of things make me happy now
I am so glad your son is ok. I cant imagined how traumatic it's been. <hugs>

Old 02-14-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
I am so glad your son is ok. I cant imagined how traumatic it's been. <hugs>

Thank you SO much!! I really appreciate the virtual hug

Old 02-14-2019, 12:06 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:

Wow, that really does put it in perspective, doesn't it...

But yeah at the end of the day, the most important thing is that our kids are OK, isn't it? I am glad that your son has pulled through and I hope he makes a full recovery.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:15 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Thank you SO much!! I really appreciate the virtual hug

That was beautiful. Happy Valentines day!

Old 02-14-2019, 12:20 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:

That sounds awful. I'm glad your son is doing better and your attitude is great. That's helping both of you, I'm sure.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:20 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,865,153 times
My theory was to let my daughter make her own decisions, thinking while she was home I'd at least be there for the fall-out, if necessary.

She turned out very well, suffered a lot like most girls though her teen years, I actually did step in once and had to kick her best friend out of my house at one point, because she was evil and I couldn't stand her anymore. I sometimes think I stressed empathy and understanding too much, and should have told her to use her elbows more.

Beware of the after effects, once in awhile she comes up with: "Why did you let me do that?" Live and learn.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Wow, that really does put it in perspective, doesn't it...

But yeah at the end of the day, the most important thing is that our kids are OK, isn't it? I am glad that your son has pulled through and I hope he makes a full recovery.
Thank you SS! Much appreciated!

Old 02-14-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
That was beautiful. Happy Valentines day!

LOVE THIS! Thank you and I am sending it right back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships