Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 01:00 PM

880 posts, read 531,820 times

Advertisements

That would be interesting. Dulles just has lots of Starbucks and a surprising amount of toilets
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 02:18 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
That would be interesting. Dulles just has lots of Starbucks and a surprising amount of toilets
Makes sense if you think about it.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:34 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Sorry, it's been ages since I was at Dulles, I made the error of flying into the DC metro (it was formerly Reagan but I don't remember what the name of that airport is now) some years back. Despite my enjoyment of that whole "coming in low and sideways so you can peer into the living rooms of houses below" thing...I was none too amused with the traffic on 95 to where I was trying to get, which was Fredericksburg, VA. It was like 4 or 5 hours of gridlock. I kept trying to bounce over to Rte. 1 hoping that might be better, but of course it wasn't.

Ever since then, I've flown into Richmond instead.

But speaking of which I remember a sign that cracked me up, I mean I was sitting there on the highway just absolutely losing it. "Watch for Stopped Vehicles" or something. I was sitting there staring at it for I dunno, like half an hour, on the interstate, just like "Yeah, obviously, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE." I took a picture of it. That was actually near Richmond in one of the traffic jams I got into down there.

Yeah, I miss my old home stomping grounds now and again just enough to want a bit of a visit, but damned if I would ever want to live there now. I can handle the humidity. I can cope with the bugs. But the traffic...hell no.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:17 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
Hanging out at Dulles airport for the next 4hrs. What do normal people do on long layovers? I just very slowly go crazy
Had a long layover in Cleveland in December. Saw a Hulu movie about bullying which killed the two hours.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:17 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Years ago, in December, i flew out of Monterey, California. It was 72 degrees.
We landed at Chicago's O'Hare airport. It was 10 degrees. The wind blew me down the street toward the train station... I had orders to attend the Diesel A School at Great Lakes, IL.

Often we would take the train into Milwaukee, WI for some good liberty on weekends...

We had some great times.

Old 03-20-2019, 11:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Depending on the airport, the airline, and the length of the layover, even if you aren't flying business class you can pay to gain a one day access to the airline's VIP lounge. When I was planning travel to a EU destination, there was a very attractive price on a flight with a stopover in Moscow, the catch was on the return, the stopover would have been like 16 hours. The VIP lounge there had a lot of amenities that would have made the upgrade worth the cost, but we ended up finding another fare through Reykjavik instead.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:54 AM

880 posts, read 531,820 times
Woke up at 4am on Tuesday to begin my travel...I’m about 2hrs from my destination, zero sleep, I’m so close I can smell it. Unfortunately I can’t check into my hotel until 3pm so I’ll be aimlessly wondering around Paris for another 6hrs after I drop my luggage off.

United did offer a vip lounge and I was tempted but this 3 day break has already cost so much, gotta save moolah where I can.

So now the real question is...since the UK has decided to exit the EU is it finally time for me to get naturalized?

Old 03-21-2019, 02:23 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,012,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
It's always fun to see an old Relationship thread popup and see some of the old timers who have hung around here over the years. They come they go, a few I had a crush on and would have love to have met in real life.

CD friends are now going on 10-13 years for many of us. We've all have aged, getting closer to retirement. I've gone through a divorce, had 2 grandkids, 1 live in / out, many crazy dates and now a new love interest.

Some pretty classy ladies have hung out here. It always makes me wonder whatever happened to......

Some of us have been around from time to time. In truth I didn't really go, I ran out of time. The internet is a place in which I spend time in lieu of what I would have otherwise done. I love this forum because people here helped me get through a difficult time in my life. Some had shared grief and we commiserated, some had good advice, some slapped me upside the head. It was all good for me, in part it was what helped me move on with my life after prescription drugs took my wife. There are still plenty of people here I would bear hug half to death if they were unfortunate enough to meet me. I didn't leave, I was healed.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:39 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Depending on the airport, the airline, and the length of the layover, even if you aren't flying business class you can pay to gain a one day access to the airline's VIP lounge. When I was planning travel to a EU destination, there was a very attractive price on a flight with a stopover in Moscow, the catch was on the return, the stopover would have been like 16 hours. The VIP lounge there had a lot of amenities that would have made the upgrade worth the cost, but we ended up finding another fare through Reykjavik instead.

My credit card comes with a lounge access perk. Holy heck, I don't know how I can do international without it again. I have had 12hr stayovers in Instanbul a couple of times, and with all the camera gear I had, leaving and coming back in would have been too much, and well, that sucked. Never again.

Last edited by timberline742; 03-21-2019 at 06:15 AM..

Old 03-21-2019, 06:04 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Sorry, it's been ages since I was at Dulles, I made the error of flying into the DC metro (it was formerly Reagan but I don't remember what the name of that airport is now) some years back. Despite my enjoyment of that whole "coming in low and sideways so you can peer into the living rooms of houses below" thing...I was none too amused with the traffic on 95 to where I was trying to get, which was Fredericksburg, VA. It was like 4 or 5 hours of gridlock. I kept trying to bounce over to Rte. 1 hoping that might be better, but of course it wasn't.

Ever since then, I've flown into Richmond instead.

But speaking of which I remember a sign that cracked me up, I mean I was sitting there on the highway just absolutely losing it. "Watch for Stopped Vehicles" or something. I was sitting there staring at it for I dunno, like half an hour, on the interstate, just like "Yeah, obviously, THEY'RE EVERYWHERE." I took a picture of it. That was actually near Richmond in one of the traffic jams I got into down there.

Yeah, I miss my old home stomping grounds now and again just enough to want a bit of a visit, but damned if I would ever want to live there now. I can handle the humidity. I can cope with the bugs. But the traffic...hell no.
Oh yeah, if you were going to Fredericksburg, no need to fly into Reagan. 95 North into F-burg is cake compared to the other direction. Whenever I go home to Hampton Roads to visit, I make sure I’m on the road no later than 8am. Driving from Arlington and taking that advice I’m crossing the Newport News/Hampton border in less than three hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships