Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2019, 02:11 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
He earned it, I made him work his butt off all weekend, deep cleaning the house.
That would definitely be worth $25. Good move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 08:24 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
I got the TV home last night and set up. It works great! No idea why it was returned, but I'm sure not complaining.

Well...actually I could guess. The sound settings were weird, and I had to go in and fiddle with them to fix it. But it wasn't difficult. Maybe someone just thought that the sound was no good and took it back, when all that was necessary was a bit of messing with the settings. It's got a "surround sound" mode that actually sounds odd and...not good. But if that is turned off, it's fine. I mean, if you want surround sound, or something fancy, you wouldn't be relying on some off-brand TV's built in speakers anyways, would you? I wouldn't think so.

I've got so much done in the last few days, I feel amazing about it. The house is clean (with lots of help from my son) and I got a bunch of errands done, and hung up a ton of artwork both at home and at the club last night. I'm kickin' butt over here!

Old 08-06-2019, 01:38 PM

In other random news of trivial life bits... My boyfriend loves musicals, particularly a number of old movies from the 50's and 60's and he's shared a lot of different things he likes with me. Many of which are just plain weird (although I really did like Singing In The Rain, which I'd never seen before he had me watch it.) But more in the just plain weird category...the other night, we watched, "How To Succeed In Business, Without Really Trying."

Has anyone else seen this? Or has everyone seen this? (I don't really know if it just skated by under my radar because I'm younger than him.) It was really a trip. I mean...if you can laugh at over the top depictions of 60's era office misogyny. A song called, "A Secretary is Not a Toy" for instance. I admit...I was thinking, "Tell that to James Spader." Anyways. I was amused.

Anybody seen any interesting movies lately?

Old 08-06-2019, 07:41 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times
Quote:
In other random news of trivial life bits... My boyfriend loves musicals, particularly a number of old movies from the 50's and 60's and he's shared a lot of different things he likes with me. Many of which are just plain weird (although I really did like Singing In The Rain, which I'd never seen before he had me watch it.) But more in the just plain weird category...the other night, we watched, "How To Succeed In Business, Without Really Trying."

Has anyone else seen this? Or has everyone seen this? (I don't really know if it just skated by under my radar because I'm younger than him.) It was really a trip. I mean...if you can laugh at over the top depictions of 60's era office misogyny. A song called, "A Secretary is Not a Toy" for instance. I admit...I was thinking, "Tell that to James Spader." Anyways. I was amused.

Haven't been to the movie theater in ages. I'm kind of foggy but I think my last movie in theater was The Secret Life of Pets or something.

On the subject of 60s musicals, I wonder if your bf has seen The Umbrellas of Cherbourg? One of my all-time favorites.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:06 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Haven't been to the movie theater in ages. I'm kind of foggy but I think my last movie in theater was The Secret Life of Pets or something.

On the subject of 60s musicals, I wonder if your bf has seen The Umbrellas of Cherbourg? One of my all-time favorites.
My last movie theater experience was Silence of the Lambs. The movie theaters where I live have recliners and a bar, everyone exclaims! Well I have recliners and a bar at home, and tonight it's a judge Judy marathon, I wont find that out there!

Old 08-09-2019, 09:04 AM

My boyfriend's taste in movies and mine aren't quite the same. He loves interesting acting, musicals, plot, emotional ka-pow, hero gets the girl, plucky underdog defies the odds, etc. Very human stories. Rom coms and chick flicks, too. Stuff that makes him cry.

I like movies that are more like visual art. I have no shame whatsoever in admitting that, despite a very predictable plot and very trope-ish characters, I loved James Cameron's "Avatar." I saw it in the theaters, in 3D, probably 8 times or something. I've watched it at home, the extended version, many times, too. It was just so...PRETTY...

More so however I am a big fan of Guillermo del Toro's work. I really, really need to get a hold of Cronos and The Devil's Backbone. I adore Pan's Labyrinth, Crimson Peak, and The Shape of Water, as well as the aesthetics in Hellboy II: The Golden Army. It's the colors and lighting and creatures...they are so very pleasing to my eyes.

Oh and what I've been calling "Dark Henson." Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal (I'm going bananas over the upcoming prequel series on Netflix) and Farscape. *le sigh* Love it.

I like his movies, too, though, and there can be some overlap. The Wes Anderson movies for instance that we both love, combine interesting human stories AND interesting visual composition.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:08 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:

I saw that movie, probably when it first showed on a network in '69 or '70. It was weird because my frame of reference was very counter culture by then (I was 12 or 13) and the movie depicted such a clear stereotype or what the counter culture was countering. Still enjoyed it.

What was weirder was that my father was an executive with a fortune 500 company in the 60s. That movie and ones like "The Apartment" gave me pause and really uncomfortable thoughts about my dad and how my mother kind of insisted he get rid of that one secretary.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
I saw that movie, probably when it first showed on a network in '69 or '70. It was weird because my frame of reference was very counter culture by then (I was 12 or 13) and the movie depicted such a clear stereotype or what the counter culture was countering. Still enjoyed it.

What was weirder was that my father was an executive with a fortune 500 company in the 60s. That movie and ones like "The Apartment" gave me pause and really uncomfortable thoughts about my dad and how my mother kind of insisted he get rid of that one secretary.
Ya know the one that blows my mind, because I can accept that stuff made decades ago reflects attitudes I've never seen in an office, times changing and all that jazz... "The Wolf of Wall Street." That movie isn't even all that old, and I'm like...holy hell, do any professional work places actually operate that way? Is that a glimpse into a world I've just never encountered? WTF-even...?

Ah, but I now work in a very chill, respectful, wonderful office environment, it's nice and quiet and friendly. But upstairs in a different suite in our building, is another company's call center. OMG they're a wild bunch up there! They have a bar, and on Fridays they drink. They are loud and rambunctious and constantly seem to be doing something like pep rallies, I don't even know. They've also decorated their space in a weird theme involving neon colors and deer antlers (painted neon colors.) Just...why... One day I was at my desk here, and we could hear them hollering and screaming and cheering up there. I said aloud to my cubicle-neighbors, "You know I worry about them sometimes. Anybody else seen The Wolf of Wall Street? I'm just saying." A couple of my coworkers had, and they cracked up.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:35 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
I love "Avatar", also......there is much beauty in some of the scenes.
I've enjoyed many Farscape episodes.....

Last night i saw "Savage Dog" with Scott Adkins. Good movie with much action......on Amazon Prime Video.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...justwatch09-20

Saturday Movie, AquaMan is playing on HBO, starring Jason Momoa, Amber Heard, Willem Dafoe...

https://www.hbo.com/movies/aquaman

Old 08-09-2019, 04:49 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
My last movie theater experience was Silence of the Lambs. The movie theaters where I live have recliners and a bar, everyone exclaims! Well I have recliners and a bar at home, and tonight it's a judge Judy marathon, I wont find that out there!

My last movie theater experience was "Gladiator" with my wife, brother & his two grandsons.
It was soo loud it almost blew out my eardrums.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships