Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2019, 08:26 AM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I still like CK, or Székely as his original Hungarian name. I knew about his creepy behavior before the whole me too movement, same with Terry Richardson and many, many other famous, talented perverts. Pay to play is how Hollywood was built, everyone knew it they just didn't talk about it. And not everything was consensual - a young Natalie Wood was brutalized by Kirk Douglas at the Chateau Marmont, and her own parents delivered her to him. This town is full of ugly.

My son's favorite CK jokes are 'folding a bowling ball' and 'but that's not my FAVORITE way!'
Louis CK has always made me just slightly uncomfortable. It's hard to explain it. He has a way of walking on the line and he tends to make me cringe just a little bit, wondering if he's going to say something too out there, IDK, maybe it's just me.

I think if someone is looking for clean and non-offensive stuff I think Brian Regan is really great for that. I've like Louis CK for a while now and I've heard Sara Silverman talk about Louis CK doing foul things right in front of her, heard this way back before the metoo movement. I don't know, some people are weird I guess. She said she didn't care, I wonder being in the "boys" club of comedy I wonder if women have to develop a thicker skin, who knows. I know that guys can be sorta gross at times.

Carlin was a genius on some level. He did in his later years get a bit too "ranty" about politics, but he was still funny but I did find some of his later stuff not as enjoyable.

Hollywood has always been full of creeps in my opinion. I mean we've all heard jokes and comments about the "casting couch" and things along those lines. I think the metoo movement was about due and I hope that it changes the way things are done in Hollywood and the entertainment business in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 08:37 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Louis CK had some really good bits, but I don't feel comfortable saying that I like him as a professional comedian anymore. If anyone listens to Marc Maron's podcast, he talked a little about when the CK thing first broke, he had asked Louis if the rumors were true and he said absolutely not. As more and more women came out, Maron had to try to find a balance between the guy he knew as a friend and a professional, and the guy who was a predatory sleaze.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:53 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
*sigh*...the metoo movement... I wish the spirit of the thing had survived a bit better. I also have a high degree of suspicion about Hollywood, and beyond for that matter. But I feel like with the guys feeling attacked and women wishing that just once there could actually be good, fair, real justice (and this has a strong parallel to BLM and police brutality in my opinion, and similar racial defensiveness as well.) I just wish that being in a position of power, wherever that power came from, did not exempt people from accountability when they harm others. And it astounds me that the position from so many people has been to deny that harm is being done at all. I think that the need that some seem to have, to have their heroes and root for their teams is just...blind and bizarre. And scary. And very, very easily manipulated and exploited by the powerful.

LOL I just had a funny thought. As a white lady though, I'm imagining a meme where my "speaking truth to power and sticking it to the man" looks, in my mind, like me being a scrappy punk rock anarchist with a fist in the air... when in reality I'm probably closer to "Karen wants to speak to the manager." How rebellious can you really be, when you drive a minivan? Asking for a friend...

Anyways. Yeah, about George Carlin, I guess his later work I struggled to enjoy it because I kinda felt sorry for the dude. Like sure, stuff is messed up, you're right, but is there literally anything in life that brings you joy? Anything at all? It did not sound like it.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:06 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
I don’t care what comedians do in their “off time”, I’m not looking to them for spiritual guidance or to be my moral compass. Louis ck didn’t incorporate any off that into his stand up act.

Actually....sad but true, it seems the more messed up a person has been, the more crap they’ve been through, the more humor I find in their stories. I do laugh at inappropriate times, and I get where Sara Silverman was coming from when she said she really didn’t care about that. Because, walk away if you need to. I don’t believe anyone was held hostage. None of my business even.

I don’t encourage drug addiction or alcoholism either.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
*sigh*...the metoo movement... I wish the spirit of the thing had survived a bit better. I also have a high degree of suspicion about Hollywood, and beyond for that matter. But I feel like with the guys feeling attacked and women wishing that just once there could actually be good, fair, real justice (and this has a strong parallel to BLM and police brutality in my opinion, and similar racial defensiveness as well.) I just wish that being in a position of power, wherever that power came from, did not exempt people from accountability when they harm others. And it astounds me that the position from so many people has been to deny that harm is being done at all. I think that the need that some seem to have, to have their heroes and root for their teams is just...blind and bizarre. And scary. And very, very easily manipulated and exploited by the powerful.
Yeah, I know that the #metoo thing has become a joke, but it is really surprising that many people's (men's?) reaction was less, "wow, I never realized that so many women I know have experienced something like this," and more, "women are lying and oversensitive."

Old 09-17-2019, 09:17 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yeah, I know that the #metoo thing has become a joke, but it is really surprising that many people's (men's?) reaction was less, "wow, I never realized that so many women I know have experienced something like this," and more, "women are lying and oversensitive."
I think part of that could be because of we women, ourselves, we put up with and some even condoned, maybe prospered by these type of “acts by men” who were “superiors”. Some women may be Disappointed they won’t get by on just their looks or sexuality. Some still may! A lot of women used the whole sexual harassment and oppressive atmosphere to their advantage.

No one said the actresses couldn’t walk away from the casting couch, but the atmosphere in the day to day 9-5 was a lot more difficult to escape. IMO.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Well, I can't attest to the bolded, I do know that like most good movements, they start out well and tend to morph and not always in a good way.

I think overall that Hollywood in general has been given a message of sorts, hopefully some good things will come out of it. Bringing attention to that serves to put the corporate world a bit of notice. I think overall larger corporations are probably getting better about not tolerating bad behavior, but I don't know, could be wrong.

The company I hired on with was bought out but a large fortune 200 level organization and we have all of the training modules we go through about work place harassment and all of that type of stuff. The message is out there...…

I have a co-worker that sort of poo poo's the concerns of women saying that they are over-blown and all of that. In honesty I can't speak for women because I haven't lived that experience. The guy is an engineer type and usually us engineering types tend to be looking for details and fact finding. I'm surprised that without having details and facts how he could be so dismissive.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I have a co-worker that sort of poo poo's the concerns of women saying that they are over-blown and all of that. In honesty I can't speak for women because I haven't lived that experience. The guy is an engineer type and usually us engineering types tend to be looking for details and fact finding. I'm surprised that without having details and facts how he could be so dismissive.
I think, like Rbccl said, forever women have just put up with this background hum of sexual harrassment and threats of worse. It's hard for a lot of guys, because they're not bad guys, and maybe *they* haven't done anything, but at the same time almost all women have a story about being groped at a bar, or having a boyfriend not take no for an answer, or being propositioned by a coworker, etc. etc. etc. Finally, women, not just famous women, are saying, "enough!" And that's putting guys on the defensive, but it shouldn't be such a hardship to think before you speak or consider how your actions affect others. Similarly, a lot of guys think that sexual violence is rare and women falsely accusing guys is common, when it's actually vice versa.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:41 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,345,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rankynelson View Post
here is the latest video of the most bueatiful celebrities 2019,click the link below to see;
https://dausel.co/DDMX8C
Isn't it grossly well timed that this spam plops like a turd in this conversation?

Old 09-17-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I think, like Rbccl said, forever women have just put up with this background hum of sexual harrassment and threats of worse. It's hard for a lot of guys, because they're not bad guys, and maybe *they* haven't done anything, but at the same time almost all women have a story about being groped at a bar, or having a boyfriend not take no for an answer, or being propositioned by a coworker, etc. etc. etc. Finally, women, not just famous women, are saying, "enough!" And that's putting guys on the defensive.
Yesteryear things that didn't rise to the rape level were often times just sorta excused as "boys being boys" but I think times are changing, maybe not as fast as some would like. Women are also now getting into positions of power and maybe that dynamic will also help to shed light on it.

While some men probably will always think women are just being sensitive or whatever, I think more and more men are getting the message. I'm just a little worried about an overcorrection and men avoiding women and women losing some potential opportunities for advancements and things along those lines. Christina Hoff Sommers was talking about this in a podcast I heard one time about men not hiring women just out of fear of the potential for accusations or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships