Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 12:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,056,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you consider a "merely in good shape" to mean? I know some fairly fat people who are convinced that they are in ok shape. People these days don't really understand what "in shape" actually means.

EDIT: And being in great shape is not as much effort as people make it out to be. Unless we are talking about drug users who can work out much more often than normal people and still have time to recover. 4 days a week at most for about an hour each time is enough for most normal people. And of course you also need to eat well.
I define "good shape" to be someone that is toned with some muscle. They eat pretty well. Go to the gym a few times a week.

I would define myself as "average". I don't exercise at all and I eat poorly. However, I have a fast metabolism so I don't get fat. My BMI is around 25 and I have some fat on me, but it's not obvious when I'm wearing normal clothes. This is actually probably better than average in the US (where the "average" is actually fat).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MergerArbitrage View Post
Here's what ~1000 women, ages 21-54 said makes a man attractive:

The Top 20 Traits Women Want in a Man

The % represents the percentage of women that put the characteristic in her top 10 traits.

Faithfulness 84%
Sense of Humor 77%
Dependability 75%
Kindness 67%
Moral Integrity 66%
Intelligence 55%
Listening 53%
Fatherliness 51%
Romancing 48%
Passion 46%
Confidence 41%
Generosity 38%
Being Good in Bed 35%
Sense of Style 30%
Handsome Face 26%
Cooking, Cleaning, etc. 23%
Earning Potential 21%
Height 15%
Muscular Build 13%
Fitness 12%

Face was voted as being important by twice as many women as muscularity or fitness level. And sense of style was most important from "external" characteristics.
I highlighted the only part of this response that matters. The survey covers what they SAID they want, which is, oftentimes, different than what they actually want.

A good example of this is height. If women were so unconcerned about height, you would have way more couples where the female is taller. But you don't. You have very few. This has been covered in many studies. That fact right there pokes a whole in this survey.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:46 PM

109 posts, read 65,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonyo View Post
I highlighted the only part of this response that matters. The survey covers what they SAID they want, which is, oftentimes, different than what they actually want.

A good example of this is height. If women were so unconcerned about height, you would have way more couples where the female is taller. But you don't. You have very few. This has been covered in many studies. That fact right there pokes a whole in this survey.
That's load of BS because the average guy is taller than the average woman by a good margin (~5"). It's therefore completely normal to assume that most couples will have taller guys. I see taller female couples around here in Boston all the time.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:50 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:

The % represents the percentage of women that put the characteristic in her top 10 traits.

Faithfulness 84%
Sense of Humor 77%
Dependability 75%
Kindness 67%
Moral Integrity 66%
Intelligence 55%
Listening 53%
Fatherliness 51%
Romancing 48%
Passion 46%
Confidence 41%
Generosity 38%
Being Good in Bed 35%
Sense of Style 30%
Handsome Face 26%
Earning Potential 21%
Height 15%
Muscular Build 13%
Fitness 12%

Face was voted as being important by twice as many women as muscularity or fitness level. And sense of style was most important from "external" characteristics.
Quote:

That list seems to me to be on point. Most women aren't that height and money obsessed, they just aren't. I don't know why you bother to post here in the forum, you've clearly made your mind up on how you view the world/women. Seriously, why bother posting here, you chant the same old mantra every time you post. I mean why bother, is there some kind of agenda you are promoting here, hoping to poison other young men's minds with your narrative and rather sad and narrow view of the world???

Old 06-19-2016, 01:04 PM

876 posts, read 1,001,151 times
Quote:

The % represents the percentage of women that put the characteristic in her top 10 traits (out of 20 total).

Faithfulness 84%
Sense of Humor 77%
Dependability 75%
Kindness 67%
Moral Integrity 66%
Intelligence 55%
Listening 53%
Fatherliness 51%
Romancing 48%
Passion 46%
Confidence 41%
Generosity 38%
Being Good in Bed 35%
Sense of Style 30%
Handsome Face 26%
Earning Potential 21%
Height 15%
Muscular Build 13%
Fitness 12%

lol at anyone who thinks women are being honest when they say all they want is a nice guy with a sense of humor.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
That's load of BS because the average guy is taller than the average woman by a good margin (~5"). It's therefore completely normal to assume that most couples will have taller guys. I see taller female couples around here in Boston all the time.
Well, that's not the point I was trying to make (I was just using it as an example that your survey was wrong).

In any event, multiple studies have shown that there are far less couples with taller women than mere chance would allow. This suggests that a good portion actively select based on height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
That list seems to me to be on point. Most women aren't that height and money obsessed, they just aren't. I don't know why you bother to post here in the forum, you've clearly made your mind up on how you view the world/women. Seriously, why bother posting here, you chant the same old mantra every time you post. I mean why bother, is there some kind of agenda you are promoting here, hoping to poison other young men's minds with your narrative and rather sad and narrow view of the world???
I'm a single guy in the trenches. You're a guy that has been married for many years and is disconnected with what we have to deal with.

I'm also very logical and aware of my surroundings. I actually pay attention to these things. I see what women do and I have personally tried many things. I've traveled around the world and dated many women. I have many female friends. I've dated all social classes and races. I've had different mindsets. I've believed that women focus solely on personality to them being completely superficial and everywhere in between.

I would say that my insights add a lot of value to this forum. The vast majority of frequent male posters here either have been married for a long time (such as yourself) or are older and single (which may remove some credibility). I believe that I'm rare here in that I'm one of the few younger single guys that has actually had success with women (despite the fact that many posters here believe that I haven't had success simply because they disagree with my views).

I've also had private conversations with young men here around my age, a bit older or younger, that seem to see value and my viewpoints.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
lol at anyone who thinks women are being honest when they say all they want is a nice guy with a sense of humor.
Bingo.

That survey is BS.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:25 PM

109 posts, read 65,367 times
Quote:
Why would they lie in an online survey? From what I've gathered over the years, guys with a good sense of humor have no shortage of female attention. No BS about it. And "nice guy" was nowhere on that survey list as an option.

Quote:
Well, that's not the point I was trying to make (I was just using it as an example that your survey was wrong).

In any event, multiple studies have shown that there are far less couples with taller women than mere chance would allow. This suggests that a good portion actively select based on height.
The survey is "wrong" ?? What does that even mean?

And where's that so-called study? I'd love to dive into the details.

All else equal height might be a plus for a guy - but since all else is never equal, there's always more to look at.

----

What the hell is with you guys and this height insecurity anyway? I'm 5'6 and my wife is also 5'6.

The point is simple: face was voted by 2x as many women as determining attractiveness than muscularity, as a note to the original post here.

Last edited by MergerArbitrage; 06-19-2016 at 01:50 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 01:35 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,549 times
Anyone my height (5'5) and above has a chance, so the height thing is subjective.

I think all men (and women) can enhance thier attractiveness through being active and heathy. Not nessicarly going to the gym, but if that's what they enjoy doing, then more power too them. Overall guys my height or above don't need a 6 pack (although it doesn't hurt) but just need to do enough to stay within the orbit of 10-20lbs of thier ideal height / weight.

More than physical fitness, men need to invest time in grooming themselves (which contributes to attractiveness) and work hard to become good, if not great at conversation.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:40 PM

579 posts, read 555,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
Not true. I knew a guy who is not good looking at all. He's about a 4 out of 10. But pimple ruined his face even further. So, he's actually a 3 out of 10. Doesn't help that he is only 5'4". When he married his girlfriend, he was jobless for three years already (he eventually did found a job later). His wife is freaking 9 out 10. Oh yeah, he doesn't work out either, he's a toothpick. He looks around 130 lbs.
So.. What drew her to him?? Broke, short, ugly?? The only short men I know that do well with women have nice faces. I've dated some shorter fellows.. I'm more of a face person and don't care so much about height or super fit guys. The shorter guys were very nice and treated me a lot better than taller ones.. Lol. Not sure if there's a correlation but.. Ya. Tall men I've dated have been dicks! Where did his income come from? Maybe he actually had plenty of money you didn't know about
Pictures of both of them pls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships