Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 04:40 PM

302 posts, read 230,575 times

Advertisements

Once I accepted a friend request from my high school friend's cousin. I didn't really remember accepting it, I am thinking it might have been looped in with other requests so it slipped through.

It was pretty creepy. He even liked some of my things and pictures. And then my old high school friend messaged me asking how I knew his cousin, I was like....uh I don't.

So for now the only friends I have on FB are people I really keep in touch with in real life. I tend to trim it down every now and then and make sure to only accept requests from people I really know. I never check the other folder or respond to people I don't know. Ever.

I think people are starting to move away from FB anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 04:41 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It doesn't even have to be that. I have been sent friend requests by friends of friends before. If I don't know them myself, I do not accept the request. It's that simple.
That's what I'm getting at petunia...

There's a million reasons why and obviously a few more obvious ones like what you and I mentioned but it's pointless in wondering what the reasons are behind what someone else has done and especially online .....

See what I mean?

Old 06-20-2016, 04:43 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
That's what I'm getting at petunia...

There's a million reasons why and obviously a few more obvious ones like what you and I mentioned but it's pointless in wondering what the reasons are behind what someone else has done and especially online .....

See what I mean?
Yes, I agree with you.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:46 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
A few points:

I did not want to make a random connection that is precisely why I asked my friend to introduce...when my friend gave me the go ahead I had thought that they had talked and this girl had been appraised that a contact was to come her way. That was the impression I got. I would not send random people messages.

Secondly, actually this girl and her friend live in another country. I am going to be visiting that country in a few months so that is why I thought I could get to know her.

Last, it's ok if someone was not interested, just say so politely And she knows that we have a close mutual connection so I don't buy the total stranger thing.
You being from another country would definitely be a problem for me, but a local guy who was a friend of a friend, attractive, and had a decent Facebook profile? I'd be fine with getting a message from him. But oh well. At least you gave it a shot.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
Yes, I agree with you.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:00 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,733 times
Now if she told you to "eat [bleep]," then that would be rude. Other than that, let it go.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:12 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
I understand how you might feel that her response was rude, but I don't see it that way. I think she was saying that she doesn't want to use facebook as a dating venue. I can respect that. She came off a bit testy with the "you or anyone", but you may have seemed a bit pesty at that point with a second message.

Either way, what do you gain if everyone says she was rude? If you felt mistreated, you could very legitimately chalk that up to some miscommunication between you, XYZ, and XYZ (by not giving her friend a heads up). It's no reflection on you. It's no evidence that people are never interested in new people. It just happened. Do what you do when you're disappointed, and next time you hope that someone will smooth your path a bit, explicitly ask them to do that.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
Now if she told you to "eat [bleep]," then that would be rude. Other than that, let it go.
Agreed

It's certainly not worth ranting over lmao

Old 06-20-2016, 05:19 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
So, here is the story... I have a friend on FB that I know for many years..let's call her XYZ. I saw this really cute girl was one of her friends and I asked if she was single and to introduce me. XYZ wrote back that she is indeed single and to send her a friend request and communicate directly with her which I did. I had also assumed that XYZ had mentioned about me to her which is expected I guess before giving the go ahead.

I sent a message two weeks ago introducing myself as a friend of XYZ and saying Hi. She did not respond, i.e. radio silence. Thinking she may have not got the message, I sent another message saying hey, this is abc, was wondering if there was any interest in connecting and getting to know each other better as XYZ said you were single My message had a very friendly tone and was not threatening at all.

Here is the response I got:
I got your first message. I don't reply to people I do not know. Not to sound rude but I am not looking forward to getting to know you or anybody. Again, not to sound rude and you should know that. Good luck!

well, did she wake up on the wrong side of the bed or something? Rude or not? I thought this was essentially the same as saying "Not to sound rude, but F off and goodbye"

Men try to be nice and express interest and this is what they get in return? And then women complain that men do not approach them
OLD at it's best. You are out only a few electrons on this, ahem, specimen, and you already know while she may look at least OK in the one image you got, she's not worth your time.

Don't reply, delete her messages. Consider unfriending XYZ.

WWCND - What Would Chuck Norris Do?

Old 06-20-2016, 05:42 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,443,415 times
I'm not on Facebook, but if I was I would never use it to try and use it as a dating site. That's what OKCupid, POF, etc. are for. I really don't see a problem with her response, she let you know without any doubt that she was not interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships