Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 08:47 AM

780 posts, read 678,212 times

Advertisements

Dealbreakers are there because you know the stigma that comes with them and it's not something you want to go through. That said, you know why you wouldn't date someone with a kid, but, it doesn't seem to be the case with this woman. Meaning, you see yourself not having the issues you believe you'll end up with if you date someone who has a kid.

One of my dating dealbreaker was a guy shorter than me. I know, call me shallow, but I say "preference" lol. Long story short, I married someone 5'4, I'm 5'9.

I think you should go ahead and date this woman. In due time, you'll either break-up with her because you were right all along or you have a happily, ever after. I mean, it's not like women with no kids are guaranteed to be the "right one" anyways.

I say this because this woman seems to be ok for you. If your dealbreaker is not dating someone who does drugs, then I would say break up with the woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2016, 08:53 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
If that's a deal breaker I would end it because you will have to deal with "You're not my daddy!" back talk. If a woman ever revealed to me she has a kid I just tell her that we are not compatible and stop seeing her. No women with kids, no exceptions.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:20 AM

708 posts, read 823,313 times
This is all about the consequence of having boundaries and standards (why some people have none). I wonder how you will feel about yourself knowing that at the first sign of anything challenging those standards you set for yourself, you were willing to relax them.

You made those boundaries for very good reasons. I see this as a test as to how much willpower, consistency and honesty you have with yourself. To have standards is to be able to go without.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:24 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestOfTruth View Post
You made those boundaries for very good reasons.
I don't think this is a safe assumption. Lots of people make deal breakers based on fears more than realities. And many also make them as methods to protect oneself from opening up to attaching to people and getting hurt.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:30 AM

780 posts, read 678,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
If that's a deal breaker I would end it because you will have to deal with "You're not my daddy!" back talk. If a woman ever revealed to me she has a kid I just tell her that we are not compatible and stop seeing her. No women with kids, no exceptions.
I understand this issue, but it's easier to say "no kids, period" in the beginning or if you're truly not that interested.

I think the OP actually likes the person, hence this dilemma and asking strangers to get as unbiased opinion as possible.

Though I think if the OP is a very logical person, than an emotional one, then perhaps it is best to not date this woman.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwalas View Post
I understand this issue, but it's easier to say "no kids, period" in the beginning or if you're truly not that interested.

I think the OP actually likes the person, hence this dilemma and asking strangers to get as unbiased opinion as possible.

Though I think if the OP is a very logical person, than an emotional one, then perhaps it is best to not date this woman.
That's just what I would do. Diss is intelligent and he will do what's right for him in his situation.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:04 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I don't think this is a safe assumption. Lots of people make deal breakers based on fears more than realities. And many also make them as methods to protect oneself from opening up to attaching to people and getting hurt.
Yeah, I think alot of people are often just too scared to leave their comfort zone.. and miss out on so much. I forget if the OP is still a virgin, but this could very well be his perfect weekend girl lol. A woman w/ her own life, who's available 'just enough' to still allow him time & space to himself.. ~ A beautiful woman with intellect & personality, come on Dissenter, opportunity's knockin you upside the head. Get it while the gettin is good.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:07 AM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I think I have a decent chance of her saying yes. I know through the grapevine she has dated guys like my physical type.

The driving distance is 2 1/2 hours between us so we could do a weekend relationship and I'm not completely married to staying in Virginia anyway, if this goes serious.

Typically I would not concede to no kids requirement. But this woman in particular is very much what I want otherwise.
What have your interactions been like? Has there been any flirting to this point? Type is more than physical.

Do you know why your no kids rule is in place? Where that decision stems from?

Old 06-22-2016, 10:09 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
But if he's only going to see her on the weekends, his interaction with her child will most likely be slim to none. Especially if those are the weekends the kid's with the other parent or she gets a sitter.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
But if he's only going to see her on the weekends, his interaction with her child will most likely be slim to none. Especially if those are the weekends the kid's with the other parent.
That's why I said it's what I would do. I'm not Diss and it is his decision to whether or not he wants to keep dating her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships