Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:00 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,136,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcelovehair View Post
I started talking to a guy 2 weeks ago. We knew each other a little from being in the same major at a small college. We have a lot in common, and he seems very respectful of me in ways that I'm not really used to, after getting out of an emotionally abusive relationship over a year ago and not dating since then. We've hung out and he has been flirty, but respectfully so. The other night, he told me that he still has feelings for his ex-girlfriend. They broke up 4 months ago, and although he said he would not get back together with her, he needs time to get over her. I point blank asked if he had started talking to me in hopes of just getting sex, which he denied. He told me that even though he really likes me, he probably won't be ready for that right away because he's not looking to rush into anything or make me feel like I'm being led on, although he is interested in me and spending time with me distracts him from missing her. I told him that I appreciated his honesty, and we've agreed to be friends for the time being.
On one hand, I like that we're taking the time to get to know one another and that he was honest with me about what he wants, or so it seems. On the other hand, I worry that although we're not having sex, I am being used as just a distraction. I work full time and go to school part time, so I don't really want to invest what extra time I have in someone who might be fickle..or worse, lying. What would you do in this situation?
He told you the truth...Believe him.

Run, don't walk away. Your recent past abusive relationship has screwed up your boundaries...work on you. Stay out of his space....anyone, until you both individually address the baggage left by your relationships is going to be the victim of all those feelings. These links are for you. Smile at him as you run to class, or rush off to work....and leave it at that. You will thank each other eventually next year.
Emotional baggage: characteristics of an abusive relationship | Examiner.com

Emotional Baggage: How it

https://frogstale.wordpress.com/2013...aggage-behind/

5 Signs Emotional Baggage Is Sabotaging Your Relationship | YourTango

Last edited by JanND; 06-23-2016 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 07:17 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,667,152 times
Move on.

Old 06-23-2016, 06:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,888,983 times
Woman #3 who needs to read the book "He's Just Not That Into You".

Old 06-24-2016, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,528 times
Thanks! The articles were a real eye-opener.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:54 PM

3,424 posts, read 3,325,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Don't think of entering a relationship with this guy. It just can't work out. He is transitioning out of a relationship.
This! You're just a rebound. He's gonna compare you to his ex and whatever flaws you possess, he's gonna call you out on 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships