Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 09:40 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Yup. I am figuring that out. I want more than I can offer. I am high maintenance...lol
You are not high maintenance, but you do fit the description of something else.

To wit, some of the traits and signs are (I have highlighted the ones I believe are MOST relevant):
  • An obvious self-focus in interpersonal exchanges
  • Problems in sustaining satisfying relationships
  • A lack of psychological awareness (see insight in psychology and psychiatry, egosyntonic)
  • Difficulty with empathy
  • Problems distinguishing the self from others
  • Hypersensitivity to any insults or imagined insults
  • Vulnerability to shame rather than guilt
  • Haughty body language
  • Flattery towards people who admire and affirm them
  • Detesting those who do not admire them
  • Using other people without considering the cost of doing so
  • Pretending to be more important than they actually are
  • Bragging (subtly but persistently) and exaggerating their achievements
  • Claiming to be an "expert" at many things
  • Inability to view the world from the perspective of other people
  • Denial of remorse and gratitude

The link to the condition I am highlighting is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 09:44 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,558 times
Quote:
See and that is where I have an issue. I happen to love who I am. I don't want to change anything about me. I just want someone that loves me how I am without wanting to change me.

You basically want to emotionally abuse someone. The kind of one sided relationship you're looking for is just that. Stop searching for someone to emotionally abuse, for a start. If you stop doing that, you might be motivated to look at some of your more reprehensible traits honestly and then maybe make a change or two.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:47 AM

109 posts, read 65,366 times
Quote:
See and that is where I have an issue. I happen to love who I am. I don't want to change anything about me. I just want someone that loves me how I am without wanting to change me.
So perhaps what you're offering just isn't lovable? That would be the logical conclusion here.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:47 AM

264 posts, read 183,170 times
Quote:
I think you have my list pretty well figured out. You did a better job than I think I could even do. May I use this the next time I try online dating?
Of course

On the bright side, I guess it's positive that you're figuring out what you want.

Seems to me I remember a guy on here once that was complaining that he couldn't find a good woman for a committed relationship. Turns out that one of his deal breakers was that she had to be willing to let him have sex with as many women as he wanted, but she had to remain faithful to him.....yet he couldn't figure out why he was having trouble

I kinda feel like you're asking for the female version of that. I mean if you can find it, more power to you, I just think that there aren't many men that would be ok with your plan and most of the ones that might be ok with it are severely damaged.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:50 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,033,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
You are not high maintenance, but you do fit the description of something else.

To wit, some of the traits and signs are (I have highlighted the ones I believe are MOST relevant):
  • An obvious self-focus in interpersonal exchanges
  • Problems in sustaining satisfying relationships
  • A lack of psychological awareness (see insight in psychology and psychiatry, egosyntonic)
  • Difficulty with empathy
  • Problems distinguishing the self from others
  • Hypersensitivity to any insults or imagined insults
  • Vulnerability to shame rather than guilt
  • Haughty body language
  • Flattery towards people who admire and affirm them
  • Detesting those who do not admire them
  • Using other people without considering the cost of doing so
  • Pretending to be more important than they actually are
  • Bragging (subtly but persistently) and exaggerating their achievements
  • Claiming to be an "expert" at many things
  • Inability to view the world from the perspective of other people
  • Denial of remorse and gratitude

The link to the condition I am highlighting is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism
That may be your online impression but nothing how I am in real life. I am always doing for others, crying because other people are going through issues, straightforward and honest. I have no problems admitting my flaws. I just don't want to change. If anything people are generally using me, and when I need something, no one is there to help.

I actually discussed this with my therapist and he disagreed with this common C-D diagnosis. He also finds nothing wrong with my self esteem.

Co-dependency and people pleasing? Totally agree are issues. I don't know the word no.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
You basically want to emotionally abuse someone. The kind of one sided relationship you're looking for is just that. Stop searching for someone to emotionally abuse, for a start. If you stop doing that, you might be motivated to look at some of your more reprehensible traits honestly and then maybe make a change or two.
No not at all. If anything I am always building people up. Telling them how great they are, love your shirt, hat, beautiful bike, etc

Old 06-24-2016, 09:51 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Anyone you find who will put up with all the stuff you listed is going to be dysfunctional, and thus so will be the relationship.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-24-2016, 09:52 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Co-dependency and people pleasing? Totally agree are issues. I don't know the word no.
You know this is an issue and you don't want to change it?

Yup, ITA with the others who have wished you the best of luck.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MergerArbitrage View Post
So perhaps what you're offering just isn't lovable? That would be the logical conclusion here.
I think this may be the case. Or just have not found the one that will find me lovable, that I can love in return.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooncesTheDrivingCat View Post
Of course

On the bright side, I guess it's positive that you're figuring out what you want.

Seems to me I remember a guy on here once that was complaining that he couldn't find a good woman for a committed relationship. Turns out that one of his deal breakers was that she had to be willing to let him have sex with as many women as he wanted, but she had to remain faithful to him.....yet he couldn't figure out why he was having trouble

I kinda feel like you're asking for the female version of that. I mean if you can find it, more power to you, I just think that there aren't many men that would be ok with your plan and most of the ones that might be ok with it are severely damaged.
Right and I have no patience for needy and severely damaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships