Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 01:33 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,024 times

Advertisements

Althou some people I know fit this bill, I just thou weekends were made to enjoy life and relax, but for those people who's work schedule fall into the realm of weekends/nights/holidays/traveling/long hours (60-80 hours a week) /on-call 24/7, I would feel these kinds of people have difficulty maintaining a relationship.
But I could possibly be wrong maybe.
and when I say weekend work and all I mean it being constant ( not the occasional weekend work).
I mean I would think weekends is when most events happen ( Social parties, night clubs, movie night sessions, dinner dates, beach days, garden visiting, speed dating, singles events, NFL Football nights, )
So what do you guys think?
How hard would it be for individuals who fall into this realm to find a girlfriend/boyfriend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 01:39 PM

138 posts, read 112,167 times
Find a nurse.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:27 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
I spent 13 years working a job where I only had one weekend off a month. And for the longest time I had no weekends off. It takes patience, understanding and planning. It can work. It, like any other relationship, takes work.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:22 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Flexible woman.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:28 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Flexible woman.

That helps in a multitude of ways.

Look, I had a **** schedule (which included rotating swing shifts and one that was 3 midnights, then a 3-11, then a 7-3. It started on Wednesday and ended on Sunday) for years. You do what you have to. If she likes you then the schedule will be worked around (although you might miss some sleep occasionally).

Old 06-27-2016, 06:39 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That helps in a multitude of ways.

Look, I had a **** schedule (which included rotating swing shifts and one that was 3 midnights, then a 3-11, then a 7-3. It started on Wednesday and ended on Sunday) for years. You do what you have to. If she likes you then the schedule will be worked around (although you might miss some sleep occasionally).
I will give you credit, that's a rough schedule. I did second shift for a bit and it sucked.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:40 PM

525 posts, read 660,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Althou some people I know fit this bill, I just thou weekends were made to enjoy life and relax, but for those people who's work schedule fall into the realm of weekends/nights/holidays/traveling/long hours (60-80 hours a week) /on-call 24/7, I would feel these kinds of people have difficulty maintaining a relationship.
But I could possibly be wrong maybe.
and when I say weekend work and all I mean it being constant ( not the occasional weekend work).
I mean I would think weekends is when most events happen ( Social parties, night clubs, movie night sessions, dinner dates, beach days, garden visiting, speed dating, singles events, NFL Football nights, )
So what do you guys think?
How hard would it be for individuals who fall into this realm to find a girlfriend/boyfriend?
So preface, I am a nurse. When I first started dating my now husband, I was a "weekender" at an acute care facility. Which means I worked Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Every week.

Luckily my then "date" also worked in a hospital so understood my schedule, and we just "made it work". It was HARD.

We met online. Match.com

You give up a good bit of social life with these schedules. The pay is supposed to compensate for the lack of normal life. It doesn't. You deal.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:01 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,276,881 times
Not having the normal "9-5" schedule certainly makes it harder.

Quite a few woman I've come across in the past when I was online dating had pretty busy schedules like this.

I've found that making it work requires very close attention to planning things out. I remember dating someone just over a year ago. I was working full time and also had a part time job all during the week, as well as she.

We would make plans almost 2 weeks in advance sometimes. You have to make the most with the time you spend together because having busy schedules will really slow things down. I've sacrificed some sleep as well as the comfort of my own bed to make things work. Actually, texting became important as well, since both of us were busy and couldn't always just sit on the phone and talk.

When we had a set date to do something, we always kept it low key. Since we worked so much, we really enjoyed the peace and quiet of our apartments. I would order food for us and pick it up everything we needed before I arrived. That way, neither of us had to leave to go get something.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:17 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,342,832 times
I'm dating a woman now who works long hours for a major corporation. Sometimes she doesn't finish work until 8 or 9. We're lucky to have dinner together on a given weeknight, so that leaves Friday night or Saturday.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:20 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I will give you credit, that's a rough schedule. I did second shift for a bit and it sucked.
Damn how was that for you?
Any one that you dated was complaining they couldn't see you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships