Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 01:36 AM

3 posts, read 2,211 times

Advertisements

Not sure how best to say this. My girlfriend and I have been in a relationship for a little over a year. She is really great and fun to be around and we have lots of fun. She is currently two months pregnant. Not planned but I am more than willing to accept it and take care of our new child.

The issue is she has some views that bother me. She has made comments in the past about how she as she has said in her own words "the gay community is gross" and "I would never accept any kid I have if they were gay". She has also stated that she views such people as mentally ill and has very traditional views. I asked her before what she thinks of transgender people and she has said she doesn't care what anyone says you are either male or female.

I realize this may seem ridiculous to worry about but now that she is pregnant I wonder if you think she could likely change her mind in the off chance our child is gay or what have you and not really worth worrying over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 02:09 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,337,025 times
Tell her gays and transgender people have been around since ancient times,it doesn't get more traditional than that.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:18 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
I'd be more worried about her passing on those antiquated views to the child instead of worrying about the possibility of the child being gay.

And yes, she could change her mind. I hope she does because hate isn't pretty.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:56 AM

3,850 posts, read 4,154,864 times
I would hope that her ugly viewpoints would concern you regardless of the fact that she's pregnant. How anyone could find such a person "great and fun" is beyond me. Now you're doomed to be tied to her forever. Good luck.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:55 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Move on.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:01 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,698,019 times
What is her family like?

My wife's father is very conservative, which confuses me, since he was a big part of the hippy crowd in his teens and twenties. My wife had some fairly conservative views, but not as radical as what you are describing.

It took a few years, but she doesn't have those views any longer.

But it will depend on how open your wife is to discussion. My wife talked a lot about certain issues and why I believe what I do. I have never even hinted to her that she should mirror my thoughts or vote the way I vote, but I can tell her views have changed.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:36 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Why do these posts always come from first-timers?

Okay, if this is a real post, this is Reason Numero Uno you don't bump uglies with someone until you actually know that person. Because this is a real disconnect in belief systems and values. And while it has emerged on the question of gays and transgendered people, it will arise on other things as well. But she's pregnant with your child, which means you're tethered to this person for the next 18 years in ways large and small.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:40 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Good reason to be concerned..... it is not ridiculous.

But

You are stuck now.

Good luck.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:58 AM

366 posts, read 493,785 times
So she has traditional views but is having a child out of wedlock - how does that work again?

But other than the fact the post reeks of B.S. what is the issue? She doesn't think positively about homosexuals? Oh gee, cry me a river. People are entitled to an opinion. And I agree with her view on the transgendered. Next time try getting to know someone before you have unprotected sex with them. She might not be too happy now realizing she cuddled up with an Alan Alda type.

Old 07-01-2016, 08:07 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
What is her reaction to the gay people/couples you know?

And if you tell me you don't know any, I'll know the OP is a bad fake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships