Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 06:53 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,705,408 times

Advertisements

This thread is primarily directed at the more mature crowd, not the millennials, so much.

What do you believe your life would be like if cellphone and social media, specifically texting and Facebook, were available to you in the way it is to younger people today?

I'll provide an example. I am still friends with a couple of exes I dated in my 20s. Before we all go jumping to conclusions, they are both married, have terrific families and there is NO chance I would do anything to jeopardize the relationship I have with Mrs. Redswin.

Having said that, we were discussing social media (via text) and what it would have been like if we had that medium available to us when we were dating. Both of us concluded that our relationship failed due to a serious lack of communication and texting or even the ability to have a cellphone at your fingertips *could* have mitigated much of the trouble we had. We likely would have stayed together.

But, as we concluded the discussion, we both decided that we really like how things turned out. We both are happy with our spouses and families.

So, that being an example, what would have changed in your life, if anything, if cellphones, texting and social media were available when you were dating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 07:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,120,090 times
I'm so glad IM'ing and texting, and facebook weren't around when I was a teen or in my 20s. Life would have been far worse. I was a nervous wreck when calling a girl's house and having to speak to her father and ask if she was there. Or later, getting a number and leaving a VM on an answering machine and waiting for a return call. But it helped build character, and resolve, and courage. Things moved slower, and we had to keep going out and living our lives since communication took time. The only real downside is when you left a message on the AM you never knew if she got it if she had roommates. That created anxiety often.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:26 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,230,703 times
I'm quite grateful that we didn't have social media back then. I certainly made some questionable choices when I was younger, and I'm happy that not very many people were privy to this.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,120,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
I'm quite grateful that we didn't have social media back then. I certainly made some questionable choices when I was younger, and I'm happy that not very many people were privy to this.
That too!

Old 06-30-2016, 07:32 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,576,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
This thread is primarily directed at the more mature crowd, not the millennials, so much.

What do you believe your life would be like if cellphone and social media, specifically texting and Facebook, were available to you in the way it is to younger people today?

I'll provide an example. I am still friends with a couple of exes I dated in my 20s. Before we all go jumping to conclusions, they are both married, have terrific families and there is NO chance I would do anything to jeopardize the relationship I have with Mrs. Redswin.

Having said that, we were discussing social media (via text) and what it would have been like if we had that medium available to us when we were dating. Both of us concluded that our relationship failed due to a serious lack of communication and texting or even the ability to have a cellphone at your fingertips *could* have mitigated much of the trouble we had. We likely would have stayed together.

But, as we concluded the discussion, we both decided that we really like how things turned out. We both are happy with our spouses and families.

So, that being an example, what would have changed in your life, if anything, if cellphones, texting and social media were available when you were dating?
Id muster a guess the older generation will feel that it causes more trouble and harm than good

Convenance is the biggest plus of mobile ( cell ) phones, as you can call/communicate whenever you want..... At 31 it's a given and a normal part of life for me.

But yeah I've had this conversation before with the mature crowd and a lovely bloke in his 70s told me that when he first starting dating his wife he had to wait all day to finish work, then like an excited kid at Xmas LOL he couldn't wait to get home to call her..... Awwwww ...

He thinks being able to communicate at the touch of the button takes away a lot of the excitement of dating as you speak all the time instead of the brief ( compared to today ) and " special " time.....

I tend to agree because if I hadn't talked to someone I'm dating and especially at the start I'd be anxious and like a kid to get home and ring her...

Old 06-30-2016, 07:57 AM

12,585 posts, read 17,004,006 times
There is always pros and cons to everything I suppose.

I like my privacy and I don't think a lot of young people have that if they have all the FaceBooks, Instagrams and SnapChats.

On the plus side I have met a lot of fantastic people on line that I know would not have ever even said hi to me IRL.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:41 AM

20,777 posts, read 20,076,039 times
I am glad it wasn't around back then. I partied a lot and having those pics available to family and work would not have ended well.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:00 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,898,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post

But yeah I've had this conversation before with the mature crowd and a lovely bloke in his 70s told me that when he first starting dating his wife he had to wait all day to finish work, then like an excited kid at Xmas LOL he couldn't wait to get home to call her..... Awwwww ...

I tend to agree because if I hadn't talked to someone I'm dating and especially at the start I'd be anxious and like a kid to get home and ring her...
Yes, this^ ^
How about not only pre-mobile phone and internet, but pre-caller ID!
I was forced to answer the damn phone to see who was calling instead of knowing everything (or so I think) and just letting it go until I "find time" to respond.

I remember making the phone cord reach to the closet so my sister couldn't hear me, and imitate me-- when I got off the phone Going to bonfires and parties and being forced to talk to each other...does everyone just mostly stand around looking at their phones now at parties?

I think that's why I've become ambivalent about dating. I was amazed at how easy it was to chat with, or go out with people I wouldnt have been able to meet if not for OLD, but the amazement wore off. Now I check my messages and think...."oh why bother, probably the same old crap." Sad, kind of, I'm sure I'm missing something/someone. My profile is "hidden" now so I don't feel rude in not answering. Too easy to lose the fascination with real life encounters and mysteries, when you have modern technology.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:01 AM

29,540 posts, read 22,837,124 times
Glad it wasn't around.

Social media and Internet have seriously dumbed down and cheapened relationships and courtships.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:21 AM

3,428 posts, read 3,364,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Glad it wasn't around.

Social media and Internet have seriously dumbed down and cheapened relationships and courtships.
This. In my day, if you wanted to see someone, or they you, you got your ass up and out of the house! Or you used the landline telephone!

Notice that you don't see any public pay phones anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships