Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 08:46 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carly1983 View Post
You should do it in a straightforward and sincere way.
Coitus?
(jk)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 04:14 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
Go cave man style. Listen woman. Be ready at 6. You and me. McDonald's and Netflix. Soprano's reruns and your gonna like it.

Old 09-01-2021, 05:31 PM

4,021 posts, read 3,301,161 times
I have mixed feelings about this topic. On one hand I suspect that some of the people who are struggling with dating feel they need to come up with the perfect line to ask out a girl and I genuinely know that isn't the case and if you are spending too much time over thinking things, that is going to hurt you with dating.

That said there have been some times where I came up with something really witty on the fly and I was having so much fun with the interaction and saying my clever line and the woman could tell and feel how much fun I was having in this interaction, that the interaction and the first date that followed were both great.

So I would say if you do feel that you came up with something perfect in the moment don't be afraid to say it. But if you can't, don't let that be the reason you don't ask this woman out either.

Last edited by shelato; 09-01-2021 at 06:52 PM..

Old 06-24-2022, 01:30 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
Just ask her out directly. Being shy and vague has huge drawbacks for guys.

I got a feeling you're not used to rejection and may be in your teens or early 20s.
Practice to overcome that. Take a face to face sales job.

Watch the movie Boiler room. Great lessons on how to sell yourself or something.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:39 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
He's in his 30s

Old 06-24-2022, 02:17 PM

368 posts, read 213,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
Just ask her out directly. Being shy and vague has huge drawbacks for guys.

I got a feeling you're not used to rejection and may be in your teens or early 20s.
Practice to overcome that. Take a face to face sales job.

Watch the movie Boiler room. Great lessons on how to sell yourself or something.
Better to ask directly, but have it be something you enjoy doing, haven't done before/recently, and were going to do / would do anyway. If you are comfortable and in your element the date is going to go better. But if the date still sucks, you still crossed the place/event off your list and it wasn't a total loss. Have her interests/tastes somewhat in mind but don't tailor it to her; she can do that later when it's her turn to come up with a date idea.

For me at least this eliminates all the crappier [first] date ideas: restaurant, movies, etc. They can still go fine if the compatibility is right, but they're not ideal.

If you're too indirect you may come off like a wuss, and struggle to find an opening to make a move in a natural way. You don't have to call it a date but it's you and her for no purposes other than being/doing something together.

Last edited by pclem; 06-24-2022 at 02:26 PM..

Old 06-24-2022, 02:40 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Because I think it seems boring to straightforwardly ask a girl out, do you guys agree or disagree?
I have my own take on this. First you must affect a hayseed accent. Then approach the female girl, put your head down and look down and start scuffing your feet in the dirt, and glance up at Miss Daisy briefly from time to time, then say, "Aww, shucks, Miss Daisy. I don't rightly know how to say this, but would you maybe feel laahk a-goin' with me to the (for example) big dance at the Long Branch Saloon this a-here comin' Satt'day? Maybe?" Scuff your feet some more, say "Aww, shucks" a couple more times, and wait for her YES YES YES! answer.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:03 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
The worst thing that could happen is:

1. she says no
2. she says yes and on the date another guy hits on her and she's with him.
3. you get even colder feet and you start wearing wool socks if you know you'll see an attractive woman that day.

#2 happened to me once at a bar where an Aussie swept her away from me.

Use #3 as an icebreaker. Improvise and be funny.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:19 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Personally I hate it when people play games of cues and subtle meanings. If you want to say something, just say it out straight. But that is just me.
Me too.

Old 06-24-2022, 03:32 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Because I think it seems boring to straightforwardly ask a girl out, do you guys agree or disagree?
Well that all really depends. If you're up blunt straightforward guy don't try tactful and clever it's going to seem awkward even send the wrong message.

If you're a tactful clever type of guy use that approach being blunt and straightforward is going to seem extremely awkward and it's definitely going to send the wrong message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships