Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times

Advertisements

Your fingers slipped when you typed, "just being secretive?"

Man, I hate when that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 12:02 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,227,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I have been stalked in the past from my real name being online which lead to me losing my job so I am extra careful now.
There's clearly more to this story than you're disclosing. I can't imagine that any employer would just sack you for being stalked. If anything, they would try and help you.

Unless you're a celebrity, most people who do get stalked are stalked by someone who knows them very well i.e. Via work, school, home etc, so a name isn't going to make a difference in that situation.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:25 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,932,064 times
I added a girl that I met a couple years ago, not on a dating site though. I remember she put all her contact information in her phone. Her phone number, email, facebook. All these different ways to get in touch with her. So I didn't contact her by phone until a couple days later, but I checked out her facebook profile the next day. I didn't add it that day, just wanted to lurk a little bit. And I found a link that was posted from a local newspaper story on a restaurant she worked at. The article wasn't about her, but about the restaurant and had pictures of her serving people at the restaurant. I immediately saw the pictures and was like ''Dude! Seriously? That's her'' because she looked about 50 pounds heavier in these pictures. But something didn't make sense, because I had seen her in person that night and she wasn't that big. Then I later saw that the article was actually from 3 months prior to this. And one of our topics on our first date together was she had lost 50 pounds in the last 3 months and was only ordering a salad. It made for a great topic, as I told her I had lost over 120 pounds about 4-5 year prior.

I'm not really active on facebook or any social media. I have an account, but I don't make status updates. I'll post some new pictures a couple times a year, mostly when my buddy comes and tags me in them. My fiance doesn't use social media of any kind and hasn't for years. She simply doesn't wanna be contacted by anyone that's she's no longer currently in touch with. Be it ex boyfriends or ex friends.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:15 AM

29,756 posts, read 34,449,009 times
Quote:
That was a typo

I mean I go by my middle name until I am ready to give my real name
And generally what is the reaction from your dates when they find out you've given them a fake name?

Old 08-02-2016, 11:15 AM

48,563 posts, read 34,941,456 times
Quote:
I have been stalked in the past from my real name being online which lead to me losing my job so I am extra careful now.

Dude, I've been stalked in the past, random guy who saw me out and about followed me around for a month before I found out. He knew all KINDS of stuff, had been to my work, etc. I had a Peeping Tom for a year.

All this before FB and OLD.

If I could give my first name while doing OLD, so can you.

And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-02-2016, 11:31 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,084,092 times
Quote:
Linkedin website.
Yeah. Sure.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:40 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,027,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And generally what is the reaction from your dates when they find out you've given them a fake name?
Once I tell them the real name and why they are cool with it because of my story about being stalked.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:10 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,545,599 times
Quote:
Once I tell them the real name and why they are cool with it because of my story about being stalked.
Extremely lucky mate

Old 08-03-2016, 05:19 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,024,941 times
Quote:

Sure they are.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:48 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,508,690 times
Quote:
Never understood the purpose of it since you barley know each other and now you inviting this person to see all your personal business like relatives and place of employment? I find it kind of odd since there is no guarantee you will continue seeing each other after 2 or 3 dates so why connect on Facebook?

I thought the idea of OLD and whatnot was to actually get to know folks? If not, you can always curl up in the fetal poisition and hide under the bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I find your lying about your first name very odd. It is something non-specific (plenty of people named the same thing).

If I was dating or chatting with you, I would cease all communication once I found out.
A little thick there. My kinfolk call me by my middle name, the rest of the world by my first name. Why? Just because. When I got told my first name just sounded more powerful, I went along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Dude, I've been stalked in the past, random guy who saw me out and about followed me around for a month before I found out. He knew all KINDS of stuff, had been to my work, etc. I had a Peeping Tom for a year.

All this before FB and OLD.

If I could give my first name while doing OLD, so can you.

Right? I evidently grew a "fan following" in a past lifetime as a graveyard shift restaurant manger. Lots of cuties visiting me in drive-thru. The gay dude that hit on me...not su much fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships