Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 08:13 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,174,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Women have the keys to the car. And men want to drive a car 24 hours a day. If you are constantly handing the keys to different men after barely meeting them, why purchase when you could lease? The old adage that women always know when they are going to have sex is so true. Quit making it so obvious when, and I bet courtship will once again prevail.
Just withholding sex is not going to let courtship and romance prevail again.
Contrary to what many women believe, sex is not the only thing on a man's mind when he courts a woman, at least not for the type of man who would be willing to romance said woman.

That belief -- that men ONLY think about sex -- is actually part of the problem. Since that is what many women believe, sex is the only thing many women think they need to offer. And with that, since men aren't getting what they REALLY want in the courting process, romance withers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:45 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,174,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
EXCELLENT POST CARROT JUICE!!! THANK YOU!

Its SAD but SO TRUE, WE as a society have completely EMASCULATED

MEN , and then we complain about it....

ROMANCE is about COURTSHIP, ITS the FUN of it ALL,

ROMANCE should be fun, exciting, beautiful, but if women act lost, and men

feel emasculated, then who is going to do the COURTING??

Everyone ends up confused, and NO romance.....

And why are some women always trying to prove something? Why do you

battle over who is going to pay the bill??

Instead of just trying to get to know this man, that is trying to get to know

you And wants to court you, to make you feel special

It does NOT have to be soooo HARD

LETS BRING ROMANCE BACK INTO OUR LIVES!!

Lets be nicer to one another
Great post, countrylv22! Romance should be fun and exciting for both the man and the woman.

And I don't see the fun or excitement in battling over who's going to pay for dinner, or debating who should open a car door. But that's just me...

Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,009,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMX View Post

And I don't see the fun or excitement in battling over who's going to pay for dinner, or debating who should open a car door. But that's just me...
Me too.

When we start worrying too much about what we "should" be doing, rather than what we want to do or feel comfortable doing, the romance, the spontaneity, the fun, just goes by the wayside.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 PM

335 posts, read 1,533,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMX View Post
Just withholding sex is not going to let courtship and romance prevail again.
Contrary to what many women believe, sex is not the only thing on a man's mind when he courts a woman, at least not for the type of man who would be willing to romance said woman.

That belief -- that men ONLY think about sex -- is actually part of the problem. Since that is what many women believe, sex is the only thing many women think they need to offer. And with that, since men aren't getting what they REALLY want in the courting process, romance withers.
I'm not worried about what men think about. I'm saying that a woman has a better chance of finding out a man's true intentions by holding off.

Besides, a lot of men don't particularly care for a woman who is "easy." If she's easy with him than what about the one before? And what happens when they go through a rough spot and break up for a few weeks? Who's she jumping into bed with then?

I think it's more romantic when a man pays for a date. A manly man would be insulted if a woman threw open her wallet and insisted on paying.

C.J.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,881 times
Well I offer to pay b/c I don't like to seem like I am making assumptions BUT even though I consider myself a feminist I do appreciate chivalry & I don't think I could really shake it if the guy took my money. It's just a respect thing to me. I am always polite enough to offer to pay my way but yeah in the beginning, especially on a first date it would seem off to me if the man took my money. Perhaps it was the way I was raised - I don't know - but it isn't about the actual money it is about the statement in underlying values I guess?

ETA: Just in case it wasn't clear I am a very proud feminist. Of course I think what people forget is that feminism is just the radical notion that women are human beings also, and beyond that, like any movement there can be different factions with different ideologies. But I don't think appreciating respect & chivalry precludes me from being a feminist & supporting issues such as equal pay etc.

Last edited by b75; 02-26-2008 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: ETA thoughts on feminism

Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 AM

51 posts, read 191,308 times
I'm a single woman and almost never run across men who aren't romantic in the courting phase of a relationship. It's only later when you're past courting that romance fades and there has to be a conscious effort to make romantic gestures.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:48 AM

279 posts, read 1,139,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmywho View Post
Romance is dying because we don't have time for it. It's got nothing to do with women's lib or feminism. Romance takes imagination and planning sometimes, and it just becomes another chore or errand to stop by the florist or to clean the house and put candles everywhere. Romance has also been quantified and commercialized for us to the point that we think that every marriage proposal has to be this grand production and that every Valentine's day must include certain elements. We're just letting ourselves let someone else tell us what is romantic so we don't have to think about it ourselves.

The most romantic moments are those that aren't planned ahead.
I agree. Romance is what you make it to be. It can be letting your partner sleep in longer on a sat morning. Making breakfast for them. simple is often the most thoughtful and easiest to do. Romance doesnt have to be a huge gesture, and people put to much into it having to cost money, the more that is spent the more it means. But ladies dont get me wrong, you have to give romance to get romance, you cant expect your hubby or bf to give you all this romance if your not willing to create some yourself.

Even if it has been a romance rut (no romance for a while) sometimes you might have to give a bit more effort a few times before he catchs on, dont give up.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:38 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,853,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
There are plenty of Nice Guys out there.
And it should be easy for a Smart, Fast Woman to catch one.
Just watch the Rat Race go by and grab the guy in last place.
Because Nice Guys always finish last.
Unfortunately, there is no way to identify who is in last place in the relationship game. But many of these guys lead the pack in other less obvious things. The race where they are seldom in the top of the pack is in superficail attributes.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:41 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,853,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
I think romance diminished when women gave themselves so unselectively. Mind you, I am no prude at all, but I believe in holding back until you have had a chance to appraise the situation. Is he worth it? But that's just me; however I do believe that
when women started giving themselves so freely, men didn't have to do a darn thing to get them into bed. So goodbye romance, no more wooing. Of course this is not to say there are no romantic men out there. There are!
And women suspect they are either gay or emotional cripples. Inexperience is not an adequate excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships