Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 05:08 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,737,906 times

Advertisements

After about 6 months of dating I decided to end things yesterday.

We had become fairly good friends over these past months, but it also became obvious he didn't want anything serious. I've been moping around for the past 24 hours and I've even shed a few tears. Which I guess is normal, but I'm really bummed out because (a) none of the people I've dated over the past decade have ended up wanting anything serious, and (b) I used to think there was someone out there for me for many years but nowadays I just don't "feel" that way in my gut anymore...and I don't like this feeling that I have now that I might just be one of those people who are 'destined' to be alone.

Don't get me wrong; I understand there are far more important issues in life than being single forever.

I told him I thought it was best we don't communicate anymore...I'm really going to miss having him around but also feel like if I didn't end it, eventually he probably would have once he found someone he really wanted a long term serious relationship with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 05:17 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
I'm sorry you're feeling this way. You'll feel a bit better about this particular situation soon enough, although you probably know that already.

In terms of the bigger picture of being alone "forever" I wouldn't give up hope just yet. You have to kiss a few frogs as the old saying goes.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:21 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times
Perhaps it was the best.
Was it his attitude? His tone? Guess it doesn't matter now, but if it's any consolation, many of us are still seeking that "serious" relationship - way more of us than you may think. As far as your saying "destined to be alone", all you can do is leave it to fate.

I'm sorry for your breakup.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm sorry you're feeling this way. You'll feel a bit better about this particular situation soon enough, although you probably know that already.

In terms of the bigger picture of being alone "forever" I wouldn't give up hope just yet. You have to kiss a few frogs as the old saying goes.

Best of luck to you.
Thank you.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:33 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,829,673 times
Now you are free and available for meeting a better match. That's a good place to be. Congratulations are doing what you knew was the best thing for you to do, although it caused some initial sadness and tears. You did the right thing.

Surprising things have a way of happening when you are open and receptive. Wishing many good things to come your way!

Old 09-03-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Perhaps it was the best.
Was it his attitude? His tone? Guess it doesn't matter now, but if it's any consolation, many of us are still seeking that "serious" relationship - way more of us than you may think. As far as your saying "destined to be alone", all you can do is leave it to fate.

I'm sorry for your breakup.
In terms of 'what it was'...you know when someone wants to be with you long term or not. I'm 37; he's 35. At our ages you pick up on what people want pretty quickly.

He is a nice guy, a really good guy. I love spending time with him. He was becoming a really good friend which I have few of in the city I live in now...

However, it was just clear to me he didn't want anything long term. I say that based on the fact that we never had discussions about it. (Well, only the 2 times I brought it up.) And whenever he talked about his weekends, most weekends I did not see him, he was doing plenty of social activities that never involved me. Sure, we hung out in public and he was affectionate and caring and all but I've yet to meet any of his friends. There were little things he would say that backed this up as well; he stated he wanted his next vacation to be with me...next thing I know he's booking that vacation without me.

Every day on the way to and from work on the train, he passes the train stop for my place. It's a one block walk from that train stop to me, yet I only see him about once a week at best. I'm a "quality time" type of person...the more I'm getting to know and like you, the more I want to see of you.

Don't get me wrong; I don't really feel like I've been "led on" by this person. It's just that in a way I feel like I'm blocking my potential to meet someone that's really for me by continuing to spend time with and potentially grow feelings for this person that I don't see ever wanting anything more from "us".

Old 09-03-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Now you are free and available for meeting a better match. That's a good place to be. Congratulations are doing what you knew was the best thing for you to do, although it caused some initial sadness and tears. You did the right thing.

Surprising things have a way of happening when you are open and receptive. Wishing many good things to come your way!
Thank you.

Old 09-03-2016, 05:39 PM

It would just be nice to have someone that only wanted to "date me" for now. I'm not even talking marriage at this very moment; it would just be nice to have someone that wanted to be exclusive with just me.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:31 PM

102 posts, read 73,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
It would just be nice to have someone that only wanted to "date me" for now. I'm not even talking marriage at this very moment; it would just be nice to have someone that wanted to be exclusive with just me.
Maybe it's not you.

Maybe it's a just becoming more common that many men are no longer interested in anything "serious"

You on the right track with the above thoughts, but for many guys commitment and exclusivity is a farce these days cuz too many ppl have the mindset of "until something better comes along"

Old 09-03-2016, 06:34 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by periklees View Post
Maybe it's not you.

Maybe it's a just becoming more common that many men are no longer interested in anything "serious"

You on the right track with the above thoughts, but for many guys commitment and exclusivity is a farce these days cuz too many ppl have the mindset os "until something better comes along"
I think that may be a big part of it, people are too busy looking for the perfect partner, one that doesn't exist btw, that they are missing the forest for the trees.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships