Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 07:37 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times

Advertisements

One of my friends just posted this: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ampaign=FBPost

It says single people are as happy or happier than married folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 08:00 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
One of my friends just posted this: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ampaign=FBPost

The article is pretty spot on.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:31 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
It gets harder with age and dating has changed a ton in the last decade
I've heard guys say this ^ before, but I've found it much easier to get dates now that I'm older. Most, maybe all, of my single guy friends agree with me.

Maybe I'm more comfortable in my own skin, maybe women in their 30's and 40's lower their standards, maybe I have more confidence to approach.. Idk.. But dating seems much easier at 40 yrs old than at 20 or even 30.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:36 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I've heard guys say this ^ before, but I've found it much easier to get dates now that I'm older. Most, maybe all, of my single guy friends agree with me.

Maybe I'm more comfortable in my own skin, maybe women in their 30's and 40's lower their standards, maybe I have more confidence to approach.. Idk.. But dating seems much easier at 40 yrs old than at 20 or even 30.
I can get dates nowadays for the most part (all from OLD now that I've gone for direct on wanting to meet up). It's having them turn into a relationship, or even multiple dates that's the issue.

Last edited by NewYorker11356; 09-12-2016 at 09:42 PM..

Old 09-12-2016, 08:43 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armsman View Post
Ummm. So you both live near Boston, are of the opposite gender, seem to be interested in similar things, and are looking to date.

Have you considered possibly dating each other?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Hahahaha, yes.

Team MellowSlugger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisville Slugger View Post
I'd take her out. It's up to her though.

I have not tried Dragon Boating. That sounds awesome though.

Oh no. I hope Mellow has responded in PM to Slugger coz Slugger stepped up to the plate here in the thread.

Team MellowSlugger for the win! <3<3

Old 09-12-2016, 09:00 PM

594 posts, read 379,963 times
Quote:

From a review of this author's book that this article is based on:

"However, there are lies of omission here. The author purports to respect empirical data, and does a skillful analysis of how empirical data can be twisted. Yet she twists it herself by leaving out an overwhelming stack of data. She discusses only one study on marriage and happiness; there are dozens. The many studies of marriage and health are given short shrift. And she completely leaves out the studies showing that single men are more likely to commit crimes. She is absolutely right that it's mostly divorced and widowed people who do very badly, and that singles aren't as bad off ... but the preponderance of the data do show that the never-married do worse than the married. No, marriage is not a cure-all, but *on average* it does have benefits.

Here is the central flaw: The author says that singles should not be stereotyped as unhappy and unhealthy, because many single people do well and like being single. That may be true, but many, probably even most, people who are single would rather not be single -- they'd rather be in a committed relationship. And as the author knows, empirical data is ruled by the average. On average, being single does not make people happy. If it makes you, an individual, happy, that's great. But if that's true, you are the exception, not the rule."

Old 09-13-2016, 12:44 AM

578 posts, read 458,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz_7 View Post
That's silly.
how so?its reality for a woman to complain she is single something is wrong when ugly or hot 99% of women are getting hit on by a guy,while we guys have to do all the approaching and work.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:46 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
From a review of this author's book that this article is based on:

"However, there are lies of omission here. The author purports to respect empirical data, and does a skillful analysis of how empirical data can be twisted. Yet she twists it herself by leaving out an overwhelming stack of data. She discusses only one study on marriage and happiness; there are dozens. The many studies of marriage and health are given short shrift. And she completely leaves out the studies showing that single men are more likely to commit crimes. She is absolutely right that it's mostly divorced and widowed people who do very badly, and that singles aren't as bad off ... but the preponderance of the data do show that the never-married do worse than the married. No, marriage is not a cure-all, but *on average* it does have benefits.

Here is the central flaw: The author says that singles should not be stereotyped as unhappy and unhealthy, because many single people do well and like being single. That may be true, but many, probably even most, people who are single would rather not be single -- they'd rather be in a committed relationship. And as the author knows, empirical data is ruled by the average. On average, being single does not make people happy. If it makes you, an individual, happy, that's great. But if that's true, you are the exception, not the rule."
Glass half empty?

Old 09-13-2016, 06:15 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
Glass half empty?
It's half empty if you're trying to empty it.
It's half full when you're trying to fill it.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:52 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejacobs0 View Post
No offense i know alot of women might attack me for this but usually if a woman is single,its because she either has attitude,plays hard to get or WANTS to be single.A woman ugly or hot gets millions of guys hitting on her EVERYDAY(don't lie what man isn't looking for some p*zzy??).Anyways im assuming the OP has some issues and rejects men all day.
I'm not going to attack you. I don't think any woman (or man) has to be single if they're willing to accept whatever they can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships