Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 01:43 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
See, that would be ridiculously hot to me—any talk about cosmology, Higgs Boson, its biological equivalent abiogenesis, the technological singularity, etc. As long as he wasn't socially inept or awkward and we were compatible in other areas. I dated several of these types, and married one.
In my experience with men that can talk about those types of subjects that they were the typical nerd/geek, but the not the cool fun types. I've never met a woman that was into techie things that I found physically attractive, but that's just my story.

I like it when you can swing from those kinds of topics to things like music or other arts. I find too much technie talk to be a bit boring at times, don't get me wrong, I like to understand how things work, but some people tend to take it too far and become a bit boring. Heck I'm a hardcore INTJ and they are typical STEM types so I'm saying this from that perspective.

I do think that there are different kinds of smarts and Mrs. Chow's dad was an interesting guy in that he was knowledgeable about technical things and he could also build just about anything and was good with his hands and he was also very artistic some of his paintings were pretty impressive. He had a wide knowledge base and was very well read, although he lacked in formal education as he only had his HS diploma.

You don't usually get those wide and varying skills and temperament in most people, too bad he was an ass cause I did admire his abilities.

EDIT to add: I wasn't saying that I thought you were unattractive when I said that I didn't find women that like techie things to be unattractive, from what I recall of your pic you're an attractive looking woman.

Last edited by Chowhound; 09-04-2016 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 01:44 PM

594 posts, read 379,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post

Lastly, intelligence, intellect and wisdom are all somewhat related and great to have...but they're also three different things.
Good post, particularly this part. Intelligence is the result of processing data, wisdom is enlightenment and understanding due to experience.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:48 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Not physically. Not my type.
Just as well then! Because he's on British tv and talks about quantum physics a lot. I thought lots of ladies on here loved British men!

Old 09-04-2016, 01:51 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
We discuss it on superficial level, we talk about that kind of stuff all the time. We can't get through a movie like Inception without it taking 4 hours because we keep pausing it to discuss the ideas.

But someone who talked about that all the time, and on a detailed level would not be my thing.
Definitely! I totally get you. And ditto to pausing movies to discuss the ideas and themes. We do that often.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:53 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,062,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
No, I wouldn't, and didn't, get serious with men who were not my intellectual equal. After establishing mutual physical attraction, intellectual compatibility was top priority. Not a mere preference, rather, a requirement.
It's the same for me too. What's the point in being with someone, if you can't have an intelligent conversation with them? Someone who's dumb would just bore the life out of me!

Old 09-04-2016, 01:54 PM

352 posts, read 234,131 times
I guess I'm not arrogant enough to label someone "dumb" unless they willingly make the same mistake, break law, obvious bad choices, etc.....we see these types in jail, or stunts-gone-wrong type of shows for example.

If someone doesn't happen to be knowledgeable about something I am (or conversely), it's not a deal breaker for me. If it gets to the point where we know more about opposite, not in common types of subjects, than what we have in common.......then no, I probably wouldn't continue to date that lady.

I'd rather be labeled unintelligent, than arrogant......

Old 09-04-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
It's the same for me too. What's the point in being with someone, if you can't have an intelligent conversation with them? Someone who's dumb would just bore the life out of me!
Yeah, but what if they can rock your world in the bedroom and then cook you a great meal afterwards? All the sudden that intelligent conversation can wait until you're with your intelligent friends.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:05 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
Yeah, but what if they can rock your world in the bedroom and then cook you a great meal afterwards? All the sudden that intelligent conversation can wait until you're with your intelligent friends.

Nope.

Would never had made it to the bedroom.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-04-2016, 02:06 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
Id be more concerned with them wanting to talk about politics, history or quantum physics in the bedroom mate! LMAO

Old 09-04-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Nope.

Would never had made it to the bedroom.
Yeah, I suppose the male and female perspectives may be a little different on this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships