Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 02:59 PM

594 posts, read 379,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If all of the action is on OKCupid, why hasn't it worked for me?
Well, I was stated earlier, I forget which thread it was, but I've had to revise my profile a few times, make sure it's not too wordy but descriptive enough. I also added plenty of pics so that the girl doesn't have to wonder what I look like. I think a lot of it is getting that profile just right.

Also, as far as messaging someone, I like to let them know that I read there profile by including something personal about them in my initial message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 03:09 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
Well, I was stated earlier, I forget which thread it was, but I've had to revise my profile a few times, make sure it's not too wordy but descriptive enough. I also added plenty of pics so that the girl doesn't have to wonder what I look like. I think a lot of it is getting that profile just right.

Also, as far as messaging someone, I like to let them know that I read there profile by including something personal about them in my initial message.
I put plenty of pics on my profile as well. I did revise my profile a few times as well. I was descriptive without being too long about it. I made sure everyone new what I looked like.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I put plenty of pics on my profile as well. I did revise my profile a few times as well. I was descriptive without being too long about it. I made sure everyone new what I looked like.
From there I think it's all about communication. I'm still working on that one so I don't have any solid advice for you other than, be interesting and be yourself.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
From there I think it's all about communication. I'm still working on that one so I don't have any solid advice for you other than, be interesting and be yourself.
That's the best I can do. I don't know what worked for you. I just know what worked for you didn't work for me.

I think looks might have played a factor. I learned this about online dating years later. Online dating can be harder because photos can be seen. People can be more selective because they can sift through the profiles as if being in a store.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
That's the best I can do. I don't know what worked for you. I just know what worked for you didn't work for me.

I think looks might have played a factor. I learned this about online dating years later. Online dating can be harder because photos can be seen. People can be more selective because they can sift through the profiles as if being in a store.
What works for me is that I'm very particular about who I message. I go through hundreds of profiles of pretty women and if their description of themselves doesn't resonate with me, I skip it. Their self summary has to show that they are intelligent, humble, funny, and insightful. If they're not, they'll never connect with me.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
What works for me is that I'm very particular about who I message. I go through hundreds of profiles of pretty women and if their description of themselves doesn't resonate with me, I skip it. Their self summary has to show that they are intelligent, humble, funny, and insightful. If they're not, they'll never connect with me.
I'm very picky like that as well. Women with children is a big no-no for me. Intellligence is something I value as well. I value women who are sweet. I looked for that on profiles. I'm the type of person who tries to think of something particular to say. If we have a similar interest, I try to start on that. I did that a few times. It rarely worked. I don't know how many women I messaged, but I got replies maybe 10% of the time.

Of course, you and me are different people. It could be where we live that makes a difference. It could be what we look like that makes some women react differently. It could be the woman is looking for someone with a different personality. I even heard race could determine how many replies you get on OKCupid.

Of course, now I'm 30 years old and I'm beginning to look at alot of things in life differently.

What sort of subjects did you talk about with women on OKC?

Old 09-05-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
I'm very picky like that as well. Women with children is a big no-no for me. Intellligence is something I value as well. I value women who are sweet. I looked for that on profiles. I'm the type of person who tries to think of something particular to say. If we have a similar interest, I try to start on that. I did that a few times. It rarely worked. I don't know how many women I messaged, but I got replies maybe 10% of the time.

Of course, you and me are different people. It could be where we live that makes a difference. It could be what we look like that makes some women react differently. It could be the woman is looking for someone with a different personality. I even heard race could determine how many replies you get on OKCupid.

Of course, now I'm 30 years old and I'm beginning to look at alot of things in life differently.

It sounds like you're on the right track. I mean, 10% is 10%. It's not 0. I've found the learning curve for OLD to be rather steep and it most certainly is a game that you have to learn how to play. I've found it be very challenging. But I like challenges. I'm 15 years older than you, financially successful and with a bit more experience, so I also have to weed out the gold diggers, which really isn't very fun, especially when you're codependent like I am. Then again, I've had to do that irl too, which is one of the reason I've become more of a home body.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:

Hm, well, I usually choose academic type women, sort of the same as me. So our conversations have ranged from talking about sociology, psychology, art, philosophy...whatever that particular woman's field is. And even if I don't get a date with them, we enjoy some nice conversation and I've planted myself in the back of her mind as someone who intellectually stimulates her. So maybe I'll hear back from her.

I think a lot of the online game is conditioning yourself to handle disappointment. I went on 4 dates with one woman, seemed very promising, we had a lot in common and we were both attracted to each other. Then, out of the blue she ended things with me. So there's disappointments.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:45 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Does anyone else get this?

I get a good many women checking out the profile, but that's as far as it gets. Most of the women are one's that I've contacted with a message. I think my response rate is close to zero percent now.

Oddly, the person I went with a date last actually contact me first. So I think that makes it 1 in a 1000 lol. I

Maybe it's time to step away from the OLD and give is up
Can we help you with your pictures? You'd be surprised at what a difference better pictures can make. Some people are surprisingly bad at choosing pictures of themselves.

There are, of course, a gazillion reasons why someone would look at your profile and not contact you. Don't waste your time looking at that. It's a useless stat.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:48 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Not to derail Mike's thread, but how do you go about "dating" via FB? Don't you have to be friends with the person first?
I just "Add Friend" invite girls I like. I call this casting the "Add Friend" net.

From those I had invited, I will get a number of acceptance, in effect becoming "Facebook" Friends with. I would message them. I call this casting the "conversation" net.

From those I messaged initially, I will get a few responses. Then I keep my conversations with them every now and then. If I'm lucky, I will be close to a couple of them and when the timing is right, ask them out individually.

Btw, there is this fairly new thing in Facebook called "Live" feed where the account owner does a live video feed of herself. This is great for 2 things : 1) it proves she is the owner of the account and 2) when you message her during a live feed, she is vulnerable and hence is responsive. A great way to get noticed by her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships