Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 11:40 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I was anxious to move the conversation offline I didn't say anything about meeting because the phone conversation determines if you want to meet someone based on their voice and personality,
OP, you're talking about asking for a number after just one text convo. The number of texts is irrelevant, IMO; it's about how much time your prospects have to get comfortable with a stranger. It may take some people a few text exchanges/convos before they feel ok giving out their phone number, especially if they don't have a dedicated phone just for OLD. These women seem to feel like you're rushing it, that's the impression I'm getting. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 11:40 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,025,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Have any of them dropped a hint or asked for a phone conversation?
What type of hint should I look for? I figured after going back and forth for 20 to 25 mins it was ok to suggest a phone conversation.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:42 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
What type of hint should I look for? I figured after going back and forth for 20 to 25 mins it was ok to suggest a phone conversation.
They apparently don't feel the same way. I'm intuiting that they're expecting to text with you over a few days before they're ok with moving to the next step.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, you're talking about asking for a number after just one text convo. The number of texts is irrelevant, IMO; it's about how much time your prospects have to get comfortable with a stranger. It may take some people a few text exchanges/convos before they feel ok giving out their phone number, especially if they don't have a dedicated phone just for OLD. These women seem to feel like you're rushing it, that's the impression I'm getting. Just a thought.
Well when it comes to Tinder I thought the transition to phone talk would be faster since it's a phone app not a online dating site. And usually a woman would block her number when calling me for the first which makes sense because she doesn't me. So that is what I am trying to do, move the getting to know process offline so we can set up a date

Sometimes a woman maybe at work trying to kill time and using me until she gets off so I have to watch out for that too

Old 09-05-2016, 11:45 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
But don't you think she figured you were the one rushing it by firing off all those texts in only 30 minutes?

30 minutes of lightning fast texts are NOT getting to know someone. They're a super rushed "Okay, now we've established something, right? So now you'll go out with me, right?" pushiness. I'd be visualizing the guy being that pushy and aggressive on the date and all but yanking my pants off. I'd never agree to the date, personally.

When someone is that anxious it feels dangerous and after all, she doesn't know you from Adam. You could be anybody. All she knows about you is some profile, a few pics and this super rushing behavior.
I didn't get how it got to be that many messages in 30 minutes either, maybe if half were from her, and it was an ongoing conversation...but still, take a breath, right? I'm messaging with someone on POF right now, the conversation is going well, but it's been 6 messages in 2 hours I guess neither of us are fast talkers. I like to think about my answer

If I answered and checked back in 30 minutes and there were 10 messages waiting from the guy....nope. Too pushy, I just end it.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They apparently don't feel the same way. I'm intuiting that they're expecting to text with you over a few days before they're ok with moving to the next step.
Texting over the site for a few days? Nope not with me. With all the men out in public, online and at her job do you think I am going to stay online chatting? lol

Old 09-05-2016, 11:46 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
It is ok IMO but only when the times right ( the mood or level of flirting etc NOT the amount of time or messages sent ) or they have dropped a hit or asked BEFORE I strike

How does the messaging go?.... Ranging from super steamy hot sexual conversation? To cars, jobs, interests and cats?... Or a happy medium?

Old 09-05-2016, 11:49 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,283,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
But don't you think she figured you were the one rushing it by firing off all those texts in only 30 minutes?

30 minutes of lightning fast texts are NOT getting to know someone. They're a super rushed "Okay, now we've established something, right? So now you'll go out with me, right?" pushiness. I'd be visualizing the guy being that pushy and aggressive on the date and all but yanking my pants off. I'd never agree to the date, personally.

When someone is that anxious it feels dangerous and after all, she doesn't know you from Adam. You could be anybody. All she knows about you is some profile, a few pics and this super rushing behavior.
I disagree. I met someone last night to walk around the park and we had relatively steady conversation online. We went from message, exchange of numbers, to meeting in person all during the course of about 19 hours. She was fun, and she ended up being close to one of my ex's, so we chatted about that. What I like about meeting quickly though, is that I can see the whole picture. She showed up and was easily 50 lbs heavier than her profile picture. It made sense why most of her profile pictures were just of her face. I wasn't sexually attracted at all when she showed up. She must have gained all the weight I lost this year.

Old 09-05-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbcrazycatlady View Post
I didn't get how it got to be that many messages in 30 minutes either, maybe if half were from her, and it was an ongoing conversation...but still, take a breath, right? I'm messaging with someone on POF right now, the conversation is going well, but it's been 6 messages in 2 hours I guess neither of us are fast talkers. I like to think about my answer

If I answered and checked back in 30 minutes and there were 10 messages waiting from the guy....nope. Too pushy, I just end it.
First of all it was tinder

secondly it was a back and forth convo so I only sent a message when she responded to what I said. I never said I sent someone 30 messages, I said we went back and forth for close to 30 mins which I thought was the purpose of online dating before getting offline

And but the way, you trying to be slow with your messages may end up costing you a opportunity because it will give off the vibe that

1. you are not that interested

2. Other girls will be sending messages before your delayed response

So you may want to remind yourself you are not the only girl online

Old 09-05-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
It is ok IMO but only when the times right ( the mood or level of flirting etc NOT the amount of time or messages sent ) or they have dropped a hit or asked BEFORE I strike

How does the messaging go?.... Ranging from super steamy hot sexual conversation? To cars, jobs, interests and cats?... Or a happy medium?
I am not having sexual conversation through electronic conversation. The conversation is about likes and dislikes when it comes to food, travel, movies, hobbies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships