Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2016, 01:23 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I have also found that I get way more responses on Tinder after years of being traditional dating sites. I wish Tinder in its present form came out years ago.
My friends recommended me to use Tinder after my engagement ended. I don't think I'm ready though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 01:41 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It's just a swipe, it doesn't mean anything.

Ah, this is like a kid in a candystore... but its just pictures of candy, and hope.

So true, so true. It's just a swipe. I've had plenty of matches that led to conversation, but only one led to actually meeting in person.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:00 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
Quote:
What do people mean by responses? A match isn't a response. It's just a mutual like for lack of a better term. It's rather meaningless.

Actually meeting means something. Short of that. Nah, its all fantasy and a lot of time killing.

The problem with things like bumble, tinder, etc is there is so very very little info on the other person. You meet and you find you have little to nothing in common, and they just aren't your people. It's little different than randomly meeting people out. Sorry, to me, those odds suck. It works find for casual fun nights out, but that's about it. I did date one person for a couple of months, but we weren't right for each other, but we liked each other and she was very sensual. That was about it though. With OKC, the odds of a real match seem SOOOOOO very much higher, even though the mutual likes are fewer, because they're based on more (and there are probably fewer people randomly swiping).
I'm at that stage now where I don't have too much trouble meeting someone out, yet I can't string it into anything consistent enough to last. I don't think it's a fault of either one of us either. We're just after different things and/or dealing with different issues when we crossed paths. I used to take it as a knock against me, but now, the outcome of the evening doesn't affect my happiness. I had a good time and likely a better time with them in it, than me out by myself. You just have to enjoy the moment for what it is and if something better comes of it, than great. If not, I highly doubt the person just completely ruined your night anyways.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:04 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,844 times
Quote:
What do people mean by responses? A match isn't a response. It's just a mutual like for lack of a better term. It's rather meaningless.

Actually meeting means something. Short of that. Nah, its all fantasy and a lot of time killing.

The problem with things like bumble, tinder, etc is there is so very very little info on the other person. You meet and you find you have little to nothing in common, and they just aren't your people. It's little different than randomly meeting people out. Sorry, to me, those odds suck. It works find for casual fun nights out, but that's about it. I did date one person for a couple of months, but we weren't right for each other, but we liked each other and she was very sensual. That was about it though. With OKC, the odds of a real match seem SOOOOOO very much higher, even though the mutual likes are fewer, because they're based on more (and there are probably fewer people randomly swiping).
I agree. I feel like Tinder is marketed towards younger people who have short attention spans, and want a quick, easy hook up or just to feel "liked" as you put it. It was getting popular just as I had met my GF, so I only used it a few times. Nothing substantive ever came of it.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:08 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
I agree. I feel like Tinder is marketed towards younger people who have short attention spans, and what a quick hook up or just to feel "liked" as you put it. It was getting popular just as I had met my GF, so I only used it a few times. Nothing substantive ever came of it.
Except a lot of relationships and marriages have started via Tinder.

It's a numbers game at the end of the day, no different than in real life.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:23 PM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,192,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post

The point is, you're essentially going off chance completely because there is so little information. You know that you're attracted to the person physically. That's it.

I'm sure there have been relationships and marriages that have resulted from it. How many, I'm not really sure. But what works for some doesn't work for all. Tinder is not something I'd personally use if I was looking for a long term, successful relationship.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:54 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:

"A lot" being about how many?

Old 09-22-2016, 02:58 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,403,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
"A lot" being about how many?
Obviously, I don't know the exact number, but relationships/marriages have happened when both parties met via Tinder.

A lot have occurred via OLD in general, though.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:01 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Obviously, I don't know the exact number, but relationships/marriages have happened when both parties met via Tinder.

A lot have occurred via OLD in general, though.
Uh-huh.

Speaking of Tinder specifically, though? Just a ballpark would do.

Anyone can say "a lot" of marriages have happened via X. I could say "a lot" of marriages started out by an elephant crossing the street and a lunar eclipse, but without backup, what good is it?

I'm just curious as I keep hearing people beat their breast emphatically about Tinder is NOT a hookup site, uh-uh, no WAY, what narrow-minded buffoons people must be to even imagine such a thing, but you know what...I don't see any proof whatsoever of that.

What I see is a site deliberately designed to make hookups as fast, easy and local as possible, then backpedaling later to C its A. Now. A deep relationship/a marriage once in a while based on Tinder? That I could swallow, sure. It must happen somewhere along the way.

So if I'm wrong, please correct me. I could be wrong. Maybe "lots" of people use Tinder to find their eventual spouse. If so, I'd love to see some backup for that so that I could change my mind about this issue and be corrected.

Old 09-22-2016, 03:11 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,524,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Uh-huh.

Speaking of Tinder specifically, though? Just a ballpark would do.

Anyone can say "a lot" of marriages have happened via X. I could say "a lot" of marriages started out by an elephant crossing the street and a lunar eclipse, but without backup, what good is it?

I'm just curious as I keep hearing people beat their breast emphatically about Tinder is NOT a hookup site, uh-uh, no WAY, what narrow-minded buffoons people must be to even imagine such a thing, but you know what...I don't see any proof whatsoever of that.

What I see is a site deliberately designed to make hookups as fast, easy and local as possible, then backpedaling later to C its A. Now. A deep relationship/a marriage once in a while based on Tinder? That I could swallow, sure. It must happen somewhere along the way.

So if I'm wrong, please correct me. I could be wrong. Maybe "lots" of people use Tinder to find their eventual spouse. If so, I'd love to see some backup for that so that I could change my mind about this issue and be corrected.
I've been dating a guy for four months that I matched with on my first day on Tinder. We're exclusive now.

Tinder is what people want it to be. It's transparent in that its basis is physical attraction as the primary means of luring people into matches. Some people use it for hooking up or finding FWB, but you can often spot those because they don't write anything in their profile. But plenty of people *do* fill out their profiles a little to give you something else to go off, and even if not, the idea is you message with your matches a little before you meet up to see if there's interest/compatibility beyond physical. Lots of people - at least 30-40-somethings - even state in their profiles that they are not just looking for a hookup. The simplicity of it is appealing to some...start with physical attraction and then go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships