Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:14 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Do you even speak Russian? There are not that many jobs open to Americans there anyway. Do you even have a degree? Offhand from your posts the only job you could do is to be an English language tutor, and even there since the Russians have had high academic standards for hundreds of years, you might not be much in demand. Depending on where you end up, realize the Russian winter is no joke even in peacetime. Russia is not a place for weaklings, either mentally or physically.

Russia's a different world. I personally like it, but am not sure I would want to live there permanently.

You can get a fiancee visa for a Russian girlfriend, but it's an involved process. You probably would need to be working a job at least good enough to move out of your parent's house. Not speaking the language, you would only be able to date the few gals who speak English, and would be poorly equipped to figure out who is actually interested in you, and who just wants a Green Card.
The OP posted a little later that he would get a job in Germany and bring his prospective bride there, as he doesn't want to live in Russia. All very theoretical and dreamy. My guess, though, is that the OP works in the tech sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 03:17 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locust225 View Post
Dating in San Francisco horrible: I think I need to look elsewhere
But, no matter where you go, there YOU are.

Quote:
As for photogenic, I probably could use Corel Paintshop Pro X8 editing software to make my photos look better. I'm sure lot of people on OLD use some sort of photo editing program to fix up their photos.
Photoshopping won't help... you need to meet in real life eventually!

Old 09-09-2016, 03:32 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP posted a little later that he would get a job in Germany and bring his prospective bride there, as he doesn't want to live in Russia. All very theoretical and dreamy. My guess, though, is that the OP works in the tech sector.
I think that would be much more difficult than bringing her to the States, or him going to Russia.

But, you know, OP, I think maybe you going to Russia might be a good idea. Would "make a man" out of you. Maybe a dead man - but in any case a man in full. But realize whatever your field is, you will be "running with the big dogs" in Russia. If you can make it for a year or two, you will be a different man, probably one much more attractive at least to the Russian ladies.

Also realize that when, not if but when, you start to drink over there, particularly if you have been a teetotaler to this point - there is just no way you can possibly keep up with them drinking.

Anecdote - some American sailors were in a Russian port and started drinking with some Russian sailors. (Some time in the 90's when we were getting along better...) Long story short the Americans were all passed out on the floor well before sunset. The Russian cops were quite lenient with them, just put them in the drunk tank overnight to sleep it off, and then let them go, saying something to the effect that "they didn't have any idea what they were getting into" - "they didn't know any better - now they do".

Old 09-09-2016, 06:33 PM

511 posts, read 402,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Agreed, you don't have to be good looking, or very photogenic, or a baller financially to do well on OLD. Believe me, I know. The best looking women I've ever dated (not the best women... well, maybe them to) were met online.
I dunno. I'm guessing there's a threshold of ugliness because I'm definitely under it! LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
SF is a crappy place to date for dudes, no doubt. Only place I didn't have much of any luck.
I'll take it off my list. Too cold anyway. What's good for single guys in the sunbelt?

Old 09-10-2016, 12:19 AM

119 posts, read 106,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I think that would be much more difficult than bringing her to the States, or him going to Russia.

But, you know, OP, I think maybe you going to Russia might be a good idea. Would "make a man" out of you. Maybe a dead man - but in any case a man in full. But realize whatever your field is, you will be "running with the big dogs" in Russia. If you can make it for a year or two, you will be a different man, probably one much more attractive at least to the Russian ladies.

Also realize that when, not if but when, you start to drink over there, particularly if you have been a teetotaler to this point - there is just no way you can possibly keep up with them drinking.

Anecdote - some American sailors were in a Russian port and started drinking with some Russian sailors. (Some time in the 90's when we were getting along better...) Long story short the Americans were all passed out on the floor well before sunset. The Russian cops were quite lenient with them, just put them in the drunk tank overnight to sleep it off, and then let them go, saying something to the effect that "they didn't have any idea what they were getting into" - "they didn't know any better - now they do".
I have background in science and a minor in computer programming. Again I would not want to live there. I would just go for a visit only.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:11 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,498,923 times
Quote:
Unfortunately I do live with one parent. So expensive in the city which is why I'm looking for a job outside of the Bay Area so I can move out as well.

My family is from the US and I was born here in the Bay Area.

As for dating for specific race I don't have a preference. I'm open to all kinds of backgrounds. However, I do stay away from Asians since they tend to not date anyone that is brown skinned. I know from first hand of experience. I'm mixed but do have brown skin and Asians have always rejected me in the past.
Yeah, that's a problem. That should have ended the thread, to be honest. Asians and east Asians don't fare too well online and blacks fare pretty badly, too. It is what it is. I know okc did a survey years back that showed that being white was where it was at. Oh well.

https://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/r...ion-2009-2014/

Quote:
In spite of the numbers supposedly being skewed in the Bay Area in favor of women, there are plenty of attractive, smart and fun women who don't get attention from men. I was actually starting to come to the conclusion
As a guy whose had all sorts of rationale as to why this woman and that would be good for me, I'd take that with a grain of salt. No offense. The big ballers who live in Frisco have their pick of women far and wide, so they're out. Computer geeks probably aren't into hikers and bikers. If it's anything like NYC, Frisco comes across as insanely expensive and harried and doesn't make for overly charming gals. I get that, because I've heard the "Seattle freeze" is a mix of Seattle crap weather and west coast surliness.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
As a guy whose had all sorts of rationale as to why this woman and that would be good for me, I'd take that with a grain of salt. No offense. The big ballers who live in Frisco have their pick of women far and wide, so they're out. Computer geeks probably aren't into hikers and bikers. If it's anything like NYC, Frisco comes across as insanely expensive and harried and doesn't make for overly charming gals. I get that, because I've heard the "Seattle freeze" is a mix of Seattle crap weather and west coast surliness.
We're talking apples and oranges, to some extent. I was talking about Bay Area women in general, and SV/tech-world women. You're talking about SF women. And yes, computer geeks--the women, at least--are into hiking and enjoying being in nature. As previously suggested, I think the OP needs to expand his dating pool beyond SF. It's not hard to do. And try meeting women IRL, which he says "nobody does", and he seems uncomfortable with.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:25 PM

594 posts, read 379,901 times
Quote:
As previously suggested, I think the OP needs to expand his dating pool beyond SF. It's not hard to do.
There's almost a million people in SF. If you don't have any luck in a city of that size, I don't see how going someone else is going to fix anything. I live in Santa Barbara which is less than 100k people and I haven't found a shortage of singles willing to date. OP has 10x as many singles to choose from. I know SF quite well and, while the demographics are little tricky, it's still diverse enough to find a segment that shares commonalities with OP.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
There's almost a million people in SF. If you don't have any luck in a city of that size, I don't see how going someone else is going to fix anything. I live in Santa Barbara which is less than 100k people and I haven't found a shortage of singles willing to date. OP has 10x as many singles to choose from. I know SF quite well and, while the demographics are little tricky, it's still diverse enough to find a segment that shares commonalities with OP.
Well, I tend to agree, but there's such an overwhelming outcry on this and the SF forum regarding how SF women expect too much, have their pick of the litter, blah blah, that I've given up trying to refute that, and opted, instead, in favor of pointing out that one has the entire Bay Area at one's feet.

But yeah, putting all SF women in one box is a lot like saying all women among LA's millions only want buff actor-types with expensive cars. It's also a concern that the OP says Tinder & OLD are stacked against him as a brown guy with average looks, but he declines to make any effort to meet women IRL. In other words, he insists on sticking with a strategy he believes to work against him.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:43 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
Quote:
Well, I tend to agree, but there's such an overwhelming outcry on this and the SF forum regarding how SF women expect too much, have their pick of the litter, blah blah, that I've given up trying to refute that, and opted, instead, in favor of pointing out that one has the entire Bay Area at one's feet.

But yeah, putting all SF women in one box is a lot like saying all women among LA's millions only want buff actor-types with expensive cars.
I've read this about San Francisco and didn't get it.

Thank you both for ^^^^

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships