Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2016, 01:33 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
People accuse you of being lazy and sleeping your life away, meanwhile they're going to bed at 8:00 at night. That's insane to me!

It is insane. You know adults that go to bed a 8am? I guess i makes sense if the work at 4am or something, like a morning talk show host.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 01:37 PM

36,511 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
People accuse you of being lazy and sleeping your life away, meanwhile they're going to bed at 8:00 at night. That's insane to me! I couldn't imagine doing that, let alone being able to sleep.
I think there is a distinction between being a morning person/night person and the amount of hours you sleep. I realize some people require more sleep but for example my ex and I would go to bed at the same time (and sleep too) but he would often sleep and extra 4 or 5 hours.

Most of the time I get up the same time regardless of when I go to sleep. I think our internal clocks get set when we are in a pattern and its hard to change that. I have to get up a 4:45 during the week so 7 am is sleeping in for me.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:39 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
I'm not a morning person at all but I force myself to be because of my schedule. The kids have to be up and on the bus no matter what and four days a week I need to be at school.

I hate it but there's no way around it.

My natural inclination would be to go to sleep at around 3-4AM and get up around noon-ish.

I do seem to require a lot of total sleep. Sometimes on weekends I have to nap to catch up because by then I am just dead.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:40 PM

36,511 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It is insane. You know adults that go to bed a 8am? I guess i makes sense if the work at 4am or something, like a morning talk show host.
What? Sometimes I go to be at 8 PM. Especially in the winter when its dark at 4:30. But yeah, I get up at 4:45 and I usually have to get up a couple times a night to pee or I'm hurting somewhere or a dog is barking, etc.
Just you wait another 10 years, sonny!

Old 09-28-2016, 01:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
I fail to see the difference between staying up late and sleeping late and going to bed earlier and rising early. I've always been more productive late at night, when others are asleep. My brother, for instance, is in bed by nine, and is up and at the University gym running practices by five a.m. (he's a college coach). I, by contrast, stay up till 1 or 2-ish working on whatever I need to do, and sleep in until eight, baby permitting. Sleeping in isn't anymore "wasting the day" than going to bed early is wasting late-night hours.

Does it really matter how people arrange the time they fit in sleep, so long as it fits their household and lifestyle?

Old 09-28-2016, 01:44 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
If its the same amount of hours, it wouldn't make a difference if everything got done, but I rarely found it is, and I rarely found it does. I know you weren't speaking to me, but those people aren't staying up later than me, we're going to the same shows, parties, events, etc. They just do less.

If it works for you, great. That is what is important. But I also wouldn't want to date an insomniac that stays up to 4am and sleeps to 10am, as we just wouldn't be compatible... and they probably would go towards a career that suited their circadian cycle, which means we would have little time to spend together. Just not a match. It's not about lazy, it is about lifestyle and priorities.
Yep. Like I said, whatever people want to do, they should do. For as much as I've posted in this thread, I don't have that much concern whether or not people think it's okay for me to stay at home. I've made other decisions in my life that some people just can't seem to accept, so I'm kind of used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
You are the one who is creating such a hectic lifestyle for yourself that you literally can't afford the time to so much as stand over the sink while you brush your teeth. As such, you are also the one who can opt to change that.

Everyone's busy. Most manage to find a few seconds to wipe off their bathroom fixtures. To be honest, crafting a response on a city-data thread takes far longer.
I've actually been laughing to myself about this. I'm over here bemoaning how there are not enough hours in the day, as I've been typing away on CD. But I'm on vacation time, so... lol

Old 09-28-2016, 01:50 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,445 times
My mother worked "swing shift" for so many years that it forever affected her sleep patterns. As I child, my only memory of her is sleeping. She's in her 80s now, and is always posting on facebook at 4 am. I'll give her a call her at 3 pm and wake her up. I couldn't live like that, but she's never going to change, that's for sure.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I assume that was a typo.

Yes, they're out there. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What? Sometimes I go to be at 8 PM. Especially in the winter when its dark at 4:30. But yeah, I get up at 4:45 and I usually have to get up a couple times a night to pee or I'm hurting somewhere or a dog is barking, etc.
Just you wait another 10 years, sonny!
See? lol

I read something kind of interesting on CD once, where someone said that there is a theory that night-owl type people might have existed from way back so that they could stay up as guards and watch over the rest of the "tribe" while they were sleeping. That kind of makes sense to me. Might explain the dreaded introvert, too. lol

Old 09-28-2016, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
My mother worked "swing shift" for so many years that it forever affected her sleep patterns. As I child, my only memory of her is sleeping. She's in her 80s now, and is always posting on facebook at 4 am. I'll give her a call her at 3 pm and wake her up. I couldn't live like that, but she's never going to change, that's for sure.
Yeah, and rotating shifts is even worse.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:02 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,830,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I'm a three-time fly baby drop-out; too damn much work. But managed to cobble together a system based on FlyLady, Un-f*** Your Habitat, and The House That Cleans Itself
Yep! Another FlyLady dropout here. I found it ironic that she would clutter my email inbox so horribly. Plus, my time zone is out of sync with her emails, so I would get email reminders to tie my shoes at midnight. Useless.

But I have adopted many of her principles, and I like her approach overall. I purchased her feather duster years ago and give it two thumbs up. It makes short work of dusting (I used it this morning to clean dust out of all my window screens). It's a tool that I can't live without.

FlyLady also convinced me to cut way back on harsh cleaners, which I appreicate. I mop my hardwood floors with only water (they look great), and I wipe my bathroom counters everyday with nothing but water. Thanks, Flylady!

I'll check out those other systems, I am not familiar with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships