Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 05:56 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think the key question, as illustrated in your example, is whether or not the couple can afford to have one spouse staying at home. Some breadwinners are fine with that. But if they can't afford it, it makes no sense. "Not having time for her life"? What does that even mean? And why wouldn't her husband deserve "time for his life"? And I wonder how many of the couple's expenses are the wife's choice: clothes/fashion, some primping services, a new car every few years perhaps, etc. If she wants a certain lifestyle, she'll have to work for it, unless her husband is a high earner.
I read this as unequal division of labor at home. She's coming home from work at night and taking care of the household chores while he relaxes and spends time on his hobbies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 06:01 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I read this as unequal division of labor at home. She's coming home from work at night and taking care of the household chores while he relaxes and spends time on his hobbies.
This is how I interpreted it, too.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
i did it briefly in my marriage after a layoff. We didn't have kids or debt at the time and husband made a good living. It was his idea. It nearly ruined our marriage.

I did every boring/monotonous/stupid/never-ending chore you can imagine. Because he had a job, he let himself off the hook for everything. I did all of the laundry, meals, shopping, bills, home maintenance and repairs, etc. I was also in charge of our financial life so researched insurance/investments/short-term planning, long-term plans, etc.

He would literally come home from work, shower, change into his freshly laundered relaxing clothes, eat a nutritious dinner that i had waiting for him, and relax. His weekends were awesome. My day never ended. I got back into the work force real quick after that little episode.
+ 1000.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:12 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
At 45 I became a stay at home wife.

I worked non-stop since I was 15, had a full career, and brought significant assets to our marriage.

This was at my husband's request, though he would have supported any decision. Part of the decision was due to chronic medical conditions that I have to manage.

I love it. I was a business person and I run my life the same way now. House work, yard work, schedule appointments for husband, darn good cook, heck, I even help him out at work for software stuff. I run all the errands, take care of the pets and step mom duties with 15 year old.

I do light house maintenance, review investments, insurance and finances.

Yes, I have spare time so I served on HOA, take up new hobbies like sewing and other stuff.

I'm an INTJ, so I love the time alone.

My husband loves and always brags to his friends about all I do, which makes me feel very valued.

He's happy, I'm happy, kidlet is happy, dogs are happy.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-09-2016, 08:33 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marachino View Post
But this attitude is the problem, and hence the hotbed it is today. Women who stay at home do not "do nothing." Some of them are hardly stopping to pee with all of the chores, errands and probably other activities, like exercise and visiting with family. Why do so many people immediately think a housewife "does nothing all day" simply because there is no paycheck involved??

Oh PLEASE!! If you have kids..okay..i can buy that "chores and stuff to do" crap. but no kids?? Please! I live alone, AND I WORK, and I can keep my house clean. HOW MUCH MESS CAN TWO PEOPLE MAKE? NO WAY IS SHE CLEANING AND SCRUBBING AND LAUNDRY AND EVERYTHING EVERY SINGLE DAY, WEEK AFTER WEEK! Gimme a break.

That is just an entiltled spoiled little brat

Old 09-09-2016, 08:47 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Oh PLEASE!! If you have kids..okay..i can buy that "chores and stuff to do" crap. but no kids?? Please! I live alone, AND I WORK, and I can keep my house clean. HOW MUCH MESS CAN TWO PEOPLE MAKE? NO WAY IS SHE CLEANING AND SCRUBBING AND LAUNDRY AND EVERYTHING EVERY SINGLE DAY, WEEK AFTER WEEK! Gimme a break.

That is just an entiltled spoiled little brat
I have to agree, if there are no kids, the wife should have a job and contribute financially I mean how much housework is there with only 2 persons in the household?

Old 09-09-2016, 08:51 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Of course you can have whatever preferences you want, but it's telling that you're seeing this hypothetical marriage situation as hostile and adversarial, and not as a team working together to make each other's lives better and easier.
I see it as in Diss' house, if you don't work, you don't eat, that's all.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:56 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,725,072 times
Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marachino View Post
But this attitude is the problem, and hence the hotbed it is today. Women who stay at home do not "do nothing." Some of them are hardly stopping to pee with all of the chores, errands and probably other activities, like exercise and visiting with family. Why do so many people immediately think a housewife "does nothing all day" simply because there is no paycheck involved??
Again..... if I had to work like a donkey.....someone better be cutting me a big fat cheque. My husband can't afford my service lol......so to the work force I go.

Last edited by klmrocks; 09-09-2016 at 11:08 PM..

Old 09-09-2016, 11:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
I did it for about four months following a military move. Actually, I was the SAHF, F meaning fiancee, for three months, and about a month after the wedding, I started working again.

We had gotten engaged, he took orders to instruct at a base elsewhere (we'd discussed it prior to his putting in for orders). The plan was for me to leave my teaching position, which i had been planning to leave, anyway, move, and spend a couple of months getting settled into our new home and planning our wedding, which was entirely orchestrated long distance. Then, once we married and I could access base privileges as a military spouse, I secured a job on base.

Four months to focus on homemaking, wedding prep, traveling back and forth the 600 miles between where we were from/getting married and where we were stationed, and getting settled into my new life was a completely welcome respite, and I really appreciated it. An extended period of time may have been another story, but for just four months? I can't say I died of boredom. We had housing provided by military, my husband was making special pay on top of his base due to taking on a specialized billet, and an additional paycheck wasn't necessary. When I did return to work, it was primarily for professional development reasons, expanding my skill set. The pay was pretty secondary.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:20 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Again..... if I had to work like a donkey.....someone better be cutting me a big fat cheque. My husband can't afford my service lol......so to the work force I go.

This just shows that you don't view marriage as teamwork. That's fine, and everyone working is fine, or stay home or whatever works for them.

My husband works hard for the family, I work hard for the family. No one *owes* anything to anyone.

To much conflict when everyone is keeping count and making sure they get *theirs*.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships