Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 12:17 AM

114 posts, read 92,250 times

Advertisements

I've been given a chance to relocate within my company to Orlando. There are a few reasons this is attractive to me, and a better dating pool is definitely one of them. I'm still worried that it's not worth it. Ill be leaving behind all my friends....and winter and all the people who have hurt me. I feel like I've definitely have given it my all. So far I've gone on 21 first dates since my ltr ended last fall. Most of these guys are in the next larger city that is about 60 miles away. I have found no one within my own town to even go on one date with.

I'm just worried that ill uproot my whole life just for the hope that something better is out there. What if I'm in Orlando and I can't get any dates? Will I end up hoarding cats?

What do I do in the mean time before the move? Is it wrong to date knowing I'm going to leave? I'm worried that the relocation won't go through. I have a date tomorrow and if that one doesn't go well I think I'm off the market. but what if it does? He already knows about the possible relocation.

Sorry just mind keeping me from sleeping tonight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 12:20 AM

91 posts, read 62,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaGirl144 View Post
I've been given a chance to relocate within my company to Orlando. There are a few reasons this is attractive to me, and a better dating pool is definitely one of them. I'm still worried that it's not worth it. Ill be leaving behind all my friends....and winter and all the people who have hurt me. I feel like I've definitely have given it my all. So far I've gone on 21 first dates since my ltr ended last fall. Most of these guys are in the next larger city that is about 60 miles away. I have found no one within my own town to even go on one date with.

I'm just worried that ill uproot my whole life just for the hope that something better is out there. What if I'm in Orlando and I can't get any dates? Will I end up hoarding cats?

What do I do in the mean time before the move? Is it wrong to date knowing I'm going to leave? I'm worried that the relocation won't go through. I have a date tomorrow and if that one doesn't go well I think I'm off the market. but what if it does? He already knows about the possible relocation.

Wow. Picky much?

Sounds like you'll do just fine with dating in Orlando if you were able to go on 21 first dates in the middle of nowhere.

This is why dating is so difficult for the average guy.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:23 AM

I think the distance was the biggest issue. It's hard in a small town. There aren't many to choose from.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:24 AM

91 posts, read 62,980 times
Quote:
I think the distance was the biggest issue. It's hard in a small town. There aren't many to choose from.
60 miles isn't that far.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:30 AM

About 90 minutes. Not a straight shot and a bunch of tiny towns to get through.

Old 09-10-2016, 01:19 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,926,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armsman View Post
60 miles isn't that far.
It's borderline, I could see why it could be a problem for some.

But it's also not that far either. And if you really like each other, you can at the very least start spending the night and you wouldn't have to commute that far daily or quite as frequent.

Old 09-10-2016, 02:35 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,224,821 times
Quote:

There are a lot of unknowns so it depends on the type of person you are. If you're very dependent on your friends, then you're likely to struggle. If you're the type of person who is ok with risk and being alone for a while, then you'll be just fine.

I'm an introverted risk taker so I've been able to move halfway across the world and been OK with it. The deciding factor for me was the pay rise I got through moving. I could achieve my goals quicker & I can afford to raise a family on my sole income & give them a good quality of life. Have you looked into cost of living for Orlando & how it compares to where you are now? Personally I wouldn't relocate if I ended up worse off financially.

Prior to leaving, I joined some dating sites for where I'ld be relocating to, just to get a feel of reception I would get. It was all positive so I never felt I would struggle for dates. Perhaps you could do the same.

If you plan on continuing dating, then just inform your dates about the impending move right from the start. I personally stopped dating prior to relocation as a LDR from uk to Australia was just not appealing to me. YMMV

Old 09-10-2016, 03:02 AM

511 posts, read 401,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armsman View Post
Wow. Picky much?

Sounds like you'll do just fine with dating in Orlando if you were able to go on 21 first dates in the middle of nowhere.

This is why dating is so difficult for the average guy.
Pretty sure I've not had 21 first dates in my entire 39 years on the Earth...

Women seem to date way more than men. Not sure how the math works.

Old 09-10-2016, 05:44 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Slow down and analyze your 21 dates since your last LTR. I bet there is something other than the "quality of men" on your part that is causing you to not find any connection with someone.

If the real hold up to forming a longer term relationship is on your end, moving is not going to change that.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:19 AM

I am pretty picky on physical condition. I spend a lot of time at the gym so I'm looking for someone who takes their health somewhat seriously and won't belittle my need to workout and eat healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships