Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 10:51 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
As others have pointed out, your premise is flawed.
This is your two weeks notice that I am breaking up with you. After our formal exit interview I will not be writing you a reference letter nor training my replacement. Per our original agreement, all copies of our written discussions of compensation/benefits, vacation time, background checks, credit reports and/or drug tests are sealed by force of law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 10:53 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Breaking up is the only thing you do in life where you have to intentionally hurt a person you care a lot about. And doing it can be seen as a good thing.
Breaking up is hard to do, but it's not the only thing you do in life in which you have to intentionally hurt a person.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
It's also not always intentional; it's sometimes collateral.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:40 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Your point makes no sense.

If we apply your analogy to other spheres of life, nobody would go to the dentist or get an inoculation. Because whether you're getting a filling, a tetanus shot, or breaking up with someone, you are having to deal with short-term pain and discomfort in order to head off something much more painful in the future.

I mean, just hop in your way-back machine and think about the first girlfriend/boyfriend you ever had. Now think about you today. Would you have been happy if you had never broken up with that person? Some might say 'Yes.' But a far, far larger percentage would say, 'Um, no way.'

Do I look forward to going to the dentist? Absolutely not. But the consequences of not going to the dentist are worse.
This

Old 09-13-2016, 11:43 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
What are you talking about?

You sure are going to great lengths to justify your fear of commitment.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
What are you talking about?

You sure are going to great lengths to justify your fear of commitment.
I think it's more he's scared of dumping his current partner as to not hurt her feelings.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:09 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I think it's more he's scared of dumping his current partner as to not hurt her feelings.
Which is the very worst reason not to break up with someone.

It's understandable, but still not a good reason. I think it is generally fear of confrontation disguised as not wanting to hurt someone else.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Because, eventually, self-interest will outweigh, "I'm uncomfortable with the confrontation that will occur when I break things off." And, by then, it's even worse than it would have been, because even more time as elapsed where one party was mentally checked out, but walking through the paces, while not necessarily letting on.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:15 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I've seen evidence of both in previous posts but you are correct. His fear lies more so in confrontation and doing what needs to be done.

Old 09-13-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Which is the very worst reason not to break up with someone.

It's understandable, but still not a good reason. I think it is generally fear of confrontation disguised as not wanting to hurt someone else.
It really is the worst mate

I'm not all the best at confrontation and hate it infact but as it's completely unfair on her I would tell her much sooner rather than later.

The longer it's left the worse it would be for both parties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I've seen evidence of both in previous posts but you are correct. His fear lies more so in confrontation and doing what needs to be done.
Its a horrible situation to be in of course but as you perfectly put it " doing what needs to be done " is spot on and most valid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships