Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 01:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times

Advertisements

I don't have much from my ex. All that comes to mind is an Elsa Peretti Open Heart pendant. I've thought about selling it, but it's not worth that much. I don't actually know where it is, since the last couple of moves.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 09-16-2016 at 01:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 01:29 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,683 times
It depends on what kind of jewelry it is and how I felt about the guy. I kept my wedding and engagement rings for six or seven years before selling them when money got tight. Although I knew I'd never wear them again, I viewed them as a keepsake from an important part of my life, and my ex-hub is a decent man. I still have a few less-expensive items from him, even though I never wear them.

But jewelry from a relationship that ended badly? If it's not going to get me some money, I either donate it, throw it out, or destroy it in an act of catharsis. So much for those black "pearls" an ex gave me that turned out to be fake.

I pretty much don't want jewelry as a gift to begin with, least of all natural diamonds because they're just so dirty and socially unconscionable. Really, it's beyond me how any woman who hasn't been under a rock for the last 20 years could even want one. Just write a check directly to Kony. It's more efficient. But beyond that, I'm also not much of a jewelry kind of person. I've gotten more mileage out of a 10-dollar silver ring I bought from a jewelry-maker at a street fair last year than I've ever gotten out of any jewelry a man gave me, and the most sentimental jewelry I have is my mother's gold bracelet, which was her mother's and will be an antique in about 15 years. If a man really wants to go large, he can spring for a nice weekend or vacation away. Experiences, not things, are important to me.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:31 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I have no clue what to do with my wedding ring. If I sell it, it is probably not worth much, but keeping it is a waste also. It is very pretty and doesn't look like a wedding band so it is tough for me to not just keep wearing it.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:46 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I suspect that people selling jewelry "because the relationship ended" are just making excuses. They need the money; the jewelry is stolen; the jewelry is fake. Very little of it has anything to do with broken relationships.
You suspect wrong. I'm not going to put something on my body that reminds me of someone who hurt me, turned out to be an asshat, or both, because I wouldn't want to be reminded of him every time I looked at it. Selling it is my way of taking payment for the hassle of dealing with the break-up. A lot of women feel the same way.

I don't hang on to artwork from people I've booted out of my life, either. Same deal. Every time I looked at it, it would remind me of them. I just don't want that negative "energy" in my home. In fact, I tossed one of those expensive KitchenAid mixers because it was too much of a pain to sell (they're heavy: shipping would be too expensive, and lugging it to a CL meeting place was too much of a PITA). For several reasons, that thing represented everything that was wrong with the relationship, and I couldn't stand the very sight of it. One day I yanked a muscle in my back moving it in a closet to get something else out and that was it: Right into a dumpster. Man, that felt good.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:49 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Keep it.

It all makes me smile.

Of course, the only 2 (out of 4) exes who gave me something worth keeping are worth remembering.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:59 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
I give back engagement rings and expensive jewelry. Other gifts I've kept as long as I enjoy them, otherwise I donate them to charity.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:03 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Keep it.

It all makes me smile.

Of course, the only 2 (out of 4) exes who gave me something worth keeping are worth remembering.
That's kind of how I see it too. Not that I need to remember the one ex who gave me things that I've kept, but that I don't feel the need to throw any of it away. It's not like I'm not over here and that's why I keep them. I will admit that the stuffed animals that she gave me, sat on my dresser for quite a while after the breakup. But I've put them all away now. I don't have any ill will towards her and out of any ex that I have, and there's not many that were long term, she's the only one that I have any kind of care for.

It's funny how all these years later, I've had friends say ''You've never said anything bad about Lauren, that's the one girl I've never heard you say anything about'' and it's not that I say a lot of bad things about everyone else, it's just that I don't have a bad word to say about her at all.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:16 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,250,128 times
I've kept it all. I've never received an expensive 'diamond engagement' ring, but the ring I was given to wear as one I keep in a small pouch along with a lock of his hair.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:20 PM

2,704 posts, read 1,831,416 times
It's love letters that I've held on to and had the hardest time getting rid of. Yeah, that's right, I'm so old that when I was young people actually wrote letters to each other! But once I did get rid of them, it felt pretty good.

I've dated a few men who had impressive writing skills, but not so good relationship skills.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:44 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,109,941 times
I sold my engagement and wedding rings. Some other items I wore for a few years afterwards because I liked them, so I didn't see any reason not to keep enjoying them. Now that I have someone serious in my life I don't wear anything from my ex for the most part. Not because it matters or my current boyfriend would mind, but my boyfriend has given me some things I like better and have happier memories for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships