Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 04:56 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,537,894 times

Advertisements

If I had been the 2nd guy, I would have done some research and found the unresolved circumstances about the 1st guy, before making a commitment to her. And then moved on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 06:52 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,247,220 times
If my fiancee/longtime gf was missing in a plane crash, it would at least took me two years to try to find her/answers (maybe more-depending how much I love her). Add another year to morn, and one more year or so to date, add another year (or two) to get married. By then, along with the power of time, id have already released her from my heart.

Ok, in this particular Hollywood movie : In only four years- she mourned, she dated, got engaged, got married, carried a 9 month pregnancy, had a daughter - that's was roughly 2 years old (if memory serves me correctly).

Id say she moved on pretty damn quick. Got to love the movies, Lol

Old 09-18-2016, 06:53 AM

50,190 posts, read 35,859,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I've never seen this movie, though I've heard a lot about it and am familiar with the storyline.

The ending seems too depressing for me. I'm not sure what I would do. I'd like to say that I'd go back to my initial love, who I thought was gone.
It's actually not a depressing ending to the movie, that scene is not the end of the movie (he doesn't end up with her, but it implies the promise of something new at the end)

Old 09-18-2016, 09:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,566,646 times
I've spent too much time with one person to imagine starting all over from scratch.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,190,580 times
Is polyandry an option?

Old 09-18-2016, 09:46 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,537,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Is polyandry an option?
There are many species which practice it and sometimes bigamy at the same time.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:05 AM
qwy

296 posts, read 518,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I think it's interesting how many ppl would just stay with their current husband or wife!

The romantic in me would get back with my old love lol. To me them coming back would be a miracle and would prove to me it was meant to be.

But I agree none of us actually know what we would do unless we're were in that situation but its fun to talk about

And i agree its a great movie!!! I love Tom hanks lol
Hello Upsadaisy,

Do you currently have a boyfriend or husband? If you do, would you say you love them or you are just with them until someone better comes along?

If you saw a man crying that his wife left him for a past long lost love, would you just tell him that it was meant to be and it is interesting that he doesn't see the miracle in her leaving him and breaking his heart?

I have heard of so many stories concerning people discovering that their partners reconnected with crushes and old boyfriends/girlfriends from high school or college. The spouse found out that their partner told this person that they never stopped loving them, they never stopped thinking about them, or (as in the movie) "they are the love of their life." No sex, not cheating, just that they love someone who loves someone else more.

To you these spouses should just realize that it was meant to be?

Have you read the book eat, pray, love? She did this to her husband; she left him to found her true love... now she and that true love are getting a divorce... So if she left her husband for Tom Hanks character, and they ended up divorcing, where would the miracle be?

Maybe it's just me, maybe you have NEVER heard of a couple that swore it was meant to be, breaking-up or getting divorced? Maybe the only people who breakup/divorce are the people who don't say it's meant to be?

Maybe I am looking at this wrong. You say that you are a romantic, choosing the leave the marriage is romantic. So to you romance is always choosing the long lost love? That means that if you ever find a guy you love, you would help him pack and tell him to grab some flowers if his lost love suddenly showed up at his door? Forget all you have done for him, all the sacrifices. She is his meant to be.

I guess I just don't understand what do you find so "interesting" about deciding to honor a person's marriage.

I just recently heard about a man who is leaving his wife (they have a child) for a younger, thinner, sexier, and much much prettier woman. From what we know, his wife is good to him, but he said about the new woman and I quote "She is my soul mate."

They met because they keep getting thrown together, or booked together repeatedly though they were complete strangers. It had to be serendipity right? Seated next to each other on flights, same hotels, same conference meetings (different rooms), they even shared a cab ride (though I don't think that was accidental), this happened for months until they finally decided to have dinner together.

It was meant to be right? I mean what are the odds of running into the same person so much, over and over again. It has to be something more.

I'm guessing you would find it interesting that it took him so "long" to leave his wife for this miracle?

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

I do not mean to come off as if I am attacking you, it just that I can not understand why a person would say that they literally find it "interesting that a person would choose to be faithful their husband or wife", and then in the same sentence they would say that they are a romantic.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:32 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,247,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I've spent too much time with one person to imagine starting all over from scratch.
Yeah that's tough , especially when you're older; it would take me awhile to get myself back into dating, if ever.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:39 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwy View Post
Hello Upsadaisy,

Do you currently have a boyfriend or husband? If you do, would you say you love them or you are just with them until someone better comes along?

If you saw a man crying that his wife left him for a past long lost love, would you just tell him that it was meant to be and it is interesting that he doesn't see the miracle in her leaving him and breaking his heart?

I have heard of so many stories concerning people discovering that their partners reconnected with crushes and old boyfriends/girlfriends from high school or college. The spouse found out that their partner told this person that they never stopped loving them, they never stopped thinking about them, or (as in the movie) "they are the love of their life." No sex, not cheating, just that they love someone who loves someone else more.

To you these spouses should just realize that it was meant to be?

Have you read the book eat, pray, love? She did this to her husband; she left him to found her true love... now she and that true love are getting a divorce... So if she left her husband for Tom Hanks character, and they ended up divorcing, where would the miracle be?

Maybe it's just me, maybe you have NEVER heard of a couple that swore it was meant to be, breaking-up or getting divorced? Maybe the only people who breakup/divorce are the people who don't say it's meant to be?

Maybe I am looking at this wrong. You say that you are a romantic, choosing the leave the marriage is romantic. So to you romance is always choosing the long lost love? That means that if you ever find a guy you love, you would help him pack and tell him to grab some flowers if his lost love suddenly showed up at his door? Forget all you have done for him, all the sacrifices. She is his meant to be.

I guess I just don't understand what do you find so "interesting" about deciding to honor a person's marriage.

I just recently heard about a man who is leaving his wife (they have a child) for a younger, thinner, sexier, and much much prettier woman. From what we know, his wife is good to him, but he said about the new woman and I quote "She is my soul mate."

They met because they keep getting thrown together, or booked together repeatedly though they were complete strangers. It had to be serendipity right? Seated next to each other on flights, same hotels, same conference meetings (different rooms), they even shared a cab ride (though I don't think that was accidental), this happened for months until they finally decided to have dinner together.

It was meant to be right? I mean what are the odds of running into the same person so much, over and over again. It has to be something more.

I'm guessing you would find it interesting that it took him so "long" to leave his wife for this miracle?

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

I do not mean to come off as if I am attacking you, it just that I can not understand why a person would say that they literally find it "interesting that a person would choose to be faithful their husband or wife", and then in the same sentence they would say that they are a romantic.
I didn't mean it that way? I just meant that I found it interesting how many ppl would stay married instead of getting back with their original spouse. I expected everyone to be split but most ppl who responded said they would stay married. By romantic I mean exactly what I said, I would get back with the person I was originally with. Especially if it was a situation where they had been lost on a island and I thought they were dead. Not alot of ppl get a second chance at love like that. I guess for me that's how I would know it was meant to be. That's how that choice would be made for me. Not everybody is me though so you have to take that into account.

And none of those other situations you mentioned are close to the one in the movie. There was no cheating or nobody leaving somebody for somebody better... She thought he was dead and she moved on. It turns out he wasn't dead. He was alive an still loved her

Old 09-18-2016, 11:12 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,742,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
So i have always loved the movie castaway. For those that have not seen it, its about a man who is in a plane crash and gets stuck on an island for several years. He eventually returns home at the end of the movie, only to find out that the love of his life has gotten married again & had a kid and moved on with her life bc she thought he was dead. Its a good movie and it has tom hanks in it. Its a good love story but that's not the only part of the movie, but I just bring it up bc for some reason I have always been really interested in what others would do in that situation.

Say your husband or wife got in a plane crash and their body was never found and you thought they were dead so you just moved on with your life and got remarried. Then say it turns out they weren't dead after all and they are found alive. When they return would you get back together with them and leave your current love? Or would you stay with your new partner?

I have no clue what I would do but I'm super interested in the opinions of others. There's no right or wrong answer in my opinion
As far as the situation portrayed in Cast Away, the relationship between Chuck and Kelly could not likely have been resurrected. First, after four years of solitary living as a castaway, Chuck was not the person Kelly had once known. And surely Kelly had changed significantly in those four years. When people change together, they can constantly be adjusting and assimilating to their mutual changes. When those changes take place over years when they are completely isolated from each other, they invariably diverge. Toss in the baggage that would have ensued from Kelly ending her marriage that involved children, and the prospects for Chuck and Kelly would have been very poor. The ending of that relationship was a normal, real-world ending and not the Hollywood ending one might have predicted. It was one of the positive attributes of a flawed but still good and interesting film.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships