Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 01:11 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyfish View Post
Re the bolded: I remember her telling him that he is the love of her life (I felt bad for her husband in that scene) but I don't recall her making it clear to Tom that she actually is willing and ready to leave her family to be with him.

I own the movie too and have watched it maybe 3 or 4 times, but I haven't watched it in a long time. Now, I'm going to have to watch it again... and pay closer attention to that scene. It's sort of a holiday movie, in my opinion, so I will probably wait until the holidays to continue this discussion. Hold that thought! LOL.
That is what I recall, too. "Chuck, you are the love of my life, BUT...." is what I recall.

Also, she had 1 kid with her husband, a baby girl named Katie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 01:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
So i have always loved the movie castaway. For those that have not seen it, its about a man who is in a plane crash and gets stuck on an island for several years. He eventually returns home at the end of the movie, only to find out that the love of his life has gotten married again & had a kid and moved on with her life bc she thought he was dead. Its a good movie and it has tom hanks in it. Its a good love story but that's not the only part of the movie, but I just bring it up bc for some reason I have always been really interested in what others would do in that situation.
Say your husband or wife got in a plane crash and their body was never found and you thought they were dead so you just moved on with your life and got remarried. Then say it turns out they weren't dead after all and they are found alive. When they return would you get back together with them and leave your current love? Or would you stay with your new partner?
I have no clue what I would do but I'm super interested in the opinions of others. There's no right or wrong answer in my opinion
This is not a new concept in a movie, this is from many years before you were born:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt74r5mfoUc

OP: Some people will choose to move on and others will choose not to. There is no right or wrong with either and no one can honestly say what they would do at any given moment without being in the actual position to have to make that decision.

In the movie you mention, Tom Hanks and his girlfriend were not married when he crashed so she did not *get married again*

Old 09-18-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
If my fiancee/longtime gf was missing in a plane crash, it would at least took me two years to try to find her/answers (maybe more-depending how much I love her). Add another year to morn, and one more year or so to date, add another year (or two) to get married. By then, along with the power of time, id have already released her from my heart.

Ok, in this particular Hollywood movie : In only four years- she mourned, she dated, got engaged, got married, carried a 9 month pregnancy, had a daughter - that's was roughly 2 years old (if memory serves me correctly).

Id say she moved on pretty damn quick. Got to love the movies, Lol
That baby was less than 1. But I agree, 4 years seems a short amount of time for her grief, new romance, marriage, and a baby.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:20 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
That baby was less than 1. But I agree, 4 years seems a short amount of time for her grief, new romance, marriage, and a baby.
I didn't realize that there was a standard timeline for grief.

Learn something new everyday, I suppose.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I didn't realize that there was a standard timeline for grief.

Learn something new everyday, I suppose.
You should get some remedial help for your reading comprehension difficulties.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
You should get some remedial help for your reading comprehension difficulties.
LOL, truly.

I always wonder about the mindset of people who judge how quickly, or not, others move on from grief. I guess, like the question posed in the OP, it truly is only something that one knows when they've actually been through it.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
LOL, truly.

I always wonder about the mindset of people who judge how quickly, or not, others move on from grief. I guess, like the question posed in the OP, it truly is only something that one knows when they've actually been through it.
What I actually said was that 4 years seems a short amount of time for her grief, new romance, marriage, and a baby.

But I suppose some people are so enamored of being snarky and bit chy at every opportunity, they will deliberately misunderstand ANYTHING if that will provide them an excuse.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
What I actually said was that 4 years seems a short amount of time for her grief, new romance, marriage, and a baby.
Yes, I'm well aware of what you said.

Quote:
But I suppose some people are so enamored of being snarky and bit chy at every opportunity, they will deliberately misunderstand ANYTHING if that will provide them an excuse.
Nope, not at all.

What you interpret as my being enamored of being snarky comes from my personal experience being on the receiving end of comments such as yours. People saying that I couldn't possibly have "truly loved" my fiance because I moved on "too quickly" after his death.

Granted, we are speaking here about a fictional situation, but it could just as easily be a RL life one. Who are you, or anyone else, to judge how quickly someone might move on from a personal tragedy like this? This is, simply put, a situation where you would have absolutely no idea how you would react until you are there.

Still think that I've "misread" what you said?

Old 09-18-2016, 02:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I can see how she "moved on" fairly quickly. Not only did she lose him, but she didn't have the closure of knowing for certain that he was dead. Perhaps her husband was a friend and confidante during those early stages of grief, and they bonded over it. How long does one mourn and hold out hope? Adding a husband and baby to the mix made it nearly impossible for them to pick up where they left off.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:

What you interpret as my being enamored of being snarky comes from my personal experience being on the receiving end of comments such as yours. People saying that I couldn't possibly have "truly loved" my fiance because I moved on "too quickly" after his death.
I did not at all say Kelly didn't truly love Chuck because she she moved on too quickly after his death.

Quote:
Granted, we are speaking here about a fictional situation, but it could just as easily be a RL life one. Who are you, or anyone else, to judge how quickly someone might move on from a personal tragedy like this? This is, simply put, a situation where you would have absolutely no idea how you would react until you are there.

Still think that I've "misread" what you said?
Yes, I certainly do. Further, I now think you are one of those boorish people who believe that every remark anyone makes must be all about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships