Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 08:43 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
I won't take her to Blair Witch, don't worry. I'm not selfish. But if she wants to see that new Bridget Jones movie...I mean, that's going to be difficult for me.
Ugh, yeah, I wouldn't blame you. "Sully" is good middle ground. Very good.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:44 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armsman View Post
Well, he does seem to be a bit too reactive to how the women are responding to him. It's possible that he's just indecisive....or possibly has BPD or something. It's not out of the realm of possibility that this is actually happening.
Well, no, that's the thing. We know for certain he at the very least is codependent per his therapist; we know because he has stated this.

Whether there are actual significant internal issues here is not in question. And this is why some of us are objecting. We KNOW per the OP's own previous comments that there are issues big enough for his therapist to be advising against him dating right now. We don't all have it out for this guy and are just spouting off or something.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:46 PM

594 posts, read 379,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post

What star said is spot on here in the UK in terms of just dating one at a time and it is the usual. Me for example.... Yes I'm all for casual as its not exclusive but when I'm actually dating one I'm only dating her ( as I treat it as a view to a relationship ).
I think I saw somewhere that you mentioned you don't do OLD. That makes more sense because, I think when you're just dating women that you meet out in the real world, it's a totally different system where 1 at a time is more the natural way of things. But with OLD, it's several women all at once and then you have to have some system in place to determine which women have potential for a relationship and which don't. It's almost apples and oranges.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:48 PM

151 posts, read 126,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
But, as I've said several times, I don't feel it's realistic for me to be celibate and alone for a year while I work through things. I think I can work my issue out while also dating and have very minimal collateral damage.
Your therapist doesn't think you can work it out while dating. She told you as much. Why are you disregarding her advice?

And why wouldn't it be realistic? Because you don't want to? That, along with the immediate attachment to almost any woman you go out with once, shows a pretty surprising amount of immaturity for someone in his 40s, don't you think?

Old 09-17-2016, 08:50 PM

91 posts, read 63,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, no, that's the thing. We know for certain he at the very least is codependent per his therapist; we know because he has stated this.

Whether there are actual significant internal issues here is not in question. And this is why some of us are objecting. We KNOW per the OP's own previous comments that there are issues big enough for his therapist to be advising against him dating right now. We don't all have it out for this guy and are just spouting off or something.
Fair enough. Good argument. I stand corrected.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:50 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,865,153 times
Quote:
Just because we disagree with your narrative, we are unlucky in dating?

Why do posters on this forum attack people that disagree with them? I'm seeing this as a common trend from longtime posters, both male and female.
I'm not a long time poster and I wasn't even thinking of you.....I don't remember anything you posted until you started challenging my opinion. I read two 'you go rocky' comments and thought of the "sheeple" he refers to. You go ahead and argue with me all by yourself, I stated my opinion.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

Whether there are actual significant internal issues here is not in question. And this is why some of us are objecting. We KNOW per the OP's own previous comments that there are issues big enough for his therapist to be advising against him dating right now.
This is all true. But my therapist recommended I refrain from dating simply because it would easier and more efficient for her and me to work through my codependency. But she never suggested that I'm untreatable if I'm still dating. It's not like just because I'm dating I can't learn and grow as a person.

Besides, my therapist is awesome and she supports me in whatever I do, as long as it's not self-destructive. Because what happens with many codependent people is they sacrifice themselves and their needs in order to have someone. And I've done that before.

Old 09-17-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandedx02 View Post
And why wouldn't it be realistic? Because you don't want to? That, along with the immediate attachment to almost any woman you go out with once, shows a pretty surprising amount of immaturity for someone in his 40s, don't you think?
It's not immaturity, it's codependency. It's not like I chose to have this disorder and it's certainly not an indication that I'm a bad person.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:14 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
I

Depends on the person and the situation. Personally, I'm a busy guy. If I met a busy girl, I'd be okay with that.
In my experience, that's fine in the beginning but doesn't work well in the long run.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:13 PM

1,261 posts, read 971,328 times
Don't feed the trolls yall....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships