Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 04:12 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleunicorn View Post
I second that! Thanks for answering
I'll third that

Honestly if that's his excuse after that long then .... It speaks volumes

Take care my love
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 04:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
Quote:
You are absolutely right. I think I'm just in shock and denial right now because I didn't think he had commitment issues until just recently when he finally told me. My dad? He's around but we're not close so I don't tell him anything personal.
Hmmm... another woman who has a distant, emotionally unavailable dad who seems to have picked an unavailable guy.

Coincidence? I think not.

Pay attention to the fact that unavailable guys may end up being the type of guys to whom you are attracted.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:44 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
Tell him nicely that he can have all the time he wants, but you'd like to move on with your life -- and you should.

He'll only string you along as long as you're available. People who want a real relationship don't wait around. They build their lives together. He's not the guy for you because he'd have no doubts, if he was.

Go on with a light heart and feel grateful he hasn't wasted more of your precious time.

Old 09-20-2016, 04:47 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
I told him that I'm not asking for marriage at all. I'm asking if we could be boyfriend and girlfriend and he gave me the "I'm scared of commitment" line.
Then you should take the advice below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
When a guys tells you he is afraid of commitment, you should pay attention to this (same when he says he's afraid of getting hurt). It means he's just not that into you in terms of a serious, long-term committed relationship.

If you are fine with that, then stay with him. If not, then it is time to end things.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:11 PM

9 posts, read 5,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
I'll third that

Honestly if that's his excuse after that long then .... It speaks volumes

Take care my love
Thank you!

Old 09-20-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Hmmm... another woman who has a distant, emotionally unavailable dad who seems to have picked an unavailable guy.

Coincidence? I think not.

Pay attention to the fact that unavailable guys may end up being the type of guys to whom you are attracted.
Wow. Now that you've put it that way, a lot of the things he's done in the relationship, I just thought they were normal. When I talk to my girlfriends about this, they tell me that this is not normal. *sigh* So, what exactly are the signs of an emotionally unavailable guy??

Old 09-20-2016, 05:19 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
I told him that I'm not asking for marriage at all. I'm asking if we could be boyfriend and girlfriend and he gave me the "I'm scared of commitment" line.
This is the answer to your question and I read it quite clearly.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Tell him nicely that he can have all the time he wants, but you'd like to move on with your life -- and you should.

He'll only string you along as long as you're available. People who want a real relationship don't wait around. They build their lives together. He's not the guy for you because he'd have no doubts, if he was.

Go on with a light heart and feel grateful he hasn't wasted more of your precious time.
Thank you Ellie! He likes me enough to string me along but won't make a commitment because he has doubts. To him, he wants to be absolutely SURE. I told him that if he knows what he has in front of him, he would go for it. I asked if he wasn't sure about me and he said he was sure about me. BUT that's contradictory to what he said. If he's sure about me then he would've already committed.

You're right though. I shouldn't take this personally.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This is the answer to your question and I read it quite clearly.
Maybe I'm trying to read too much into what he said instead of taking it at face value. Thank you!

Old 09-20-2016, 05:36 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Thank you Ellie! He likes me enough to string me along but won't make a commitment because he has doubts. To him, he wants to be absolutely SURE. I told him that if he knows what he has in front of him, he would go for it. I asked if he wasn't sure about me and he said he was sure about me. BUT that's contradictory to what he said. If he's sure about me then he would've already committed.

You're right though. I shouldn't take this personally.
If you read this out of context, a normal person would think you are talking about MARRIAGE. However, you aren't even boyfriend and girlfriend yet! What does he want to be absolutely SURE about? You become boyfriend and girlfriend and then decide whether it's meant to last forever or not, but you're never going to get there if you're just in the casually dating phase.

Nothing's even saying if you become boyfriend and girlfriend, you have to get married in a year or even two. People stay as boyfriend and girlfriend for years or even a decade or more before getting married. Some stay happily together and never get married at all. It all depends on the couple, but most don't stay together in the non-boyfriend/girlfriend stage indefinitely. That makes no sense! You don't have to move in together, see each other every day, or do anything you don't want to do in a committed relationship except be committed to each other. He either just wants to play around and continue to see what is out there or he doesn't like you enough. If you don't know by 9 months, you're just never going to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships