Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 01:25 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I know it sounds ridiculous but why can't marriage be contractual and then you can renew the licence or whatever online. Most marriages I notice that breakdown(whatever the actual reason may be say for example cheating) because of boredom. People just get bored of another being. Life isn't as amazing as the honeymoon period was. So just to make it easier make it a contractual thing with minimum loss of finances involved(money is a big factor in every relationship).

I say this because I like the idea behind marriage. I kinda like the wife/husband tag than the boyfriend/girlfriend because it sounds so superficial. A person becomes more devoted at work, sex is great and people are productive. So keep marriage but just make some add ons. Can it work in society?
Boredom?
Seriously?
If you give up on worthwhile things bc of 'boredom,' you're doing it wrong or too immature to be married anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 01:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This is a good question, or to be even more practical about it, what on earth would the benefits of temporary marriage be? it?
You didn't read the op?
Because it SOUNDS COOLER.

Old 09-26-2016, 01:29 PM

52,214 posts, read 52,642,422 times
Seems like a rather odd thread and concept. I mean why bother getting married at all? Liking wife/husband title better than gf/bf??? Strange stuff there.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:02 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,896 times
The OP's idea is unnecessarily convoluted. Kinda like over-engineering a product or over-directing a film.

It is far simpler for all parties involved (including tangential third parties) to just not get married, if the commitment of one or both people is on shaky ground for any reason.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:09 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,093,479 times
It is your marriage. You can make it to whatever you want.

Whether or not you can find someone to agree to your "contractual" obligations is a whole different story.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:32 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I know it sounds ridiculous but why can't marriage be contractual and then you can renew the licence or whatever online. Most marriages I notice that breakdown(whatever the actual reason may be say for example cheating) because of boredom. People just get bored of another being. Life isn't as amazing as the honeymoon period was. So just to make it easier make it a contractual thing with minimum loss of finances involved(money is a big factor in every relationship).

I say this because I like the idea behind marriage. I kinda like the wife/husband tag than the boyfriend/girlfriend because it sounds so superficial. A person becomes more devoted at work, sex is great and people are productive. So keep marriage but just make some add ons. Can it work in society?
Soooo... Would that expiration mean that the kids should just...expire?

You are correct. The premise is ridiculous.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:39 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,302,234 times
Let's put the kids on a contract, too.

"Hey, kids! Your contract for us being your parents is coming up for renewal ..."

Old 09-26-2016, 03:39 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,228,599 times
IDK, the problem I foresee is that people would always be on their best behavior, knowing that the contract may not be renewed if they get too real. I don't want a man on his best behavior; I want him to be exactly who is when the newness fades, and still want to be together in spite of the flaws and little annoyances.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Soooo... Would that expiration mean that the kids should just...expire?

You are correct. The premise is ridiculous.
The 1 year thing is dazzling. My drivers license in VA is good for 8 years, it's nuts for a marriage to be renewed more often than a drivers license.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:25 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Let's put the kids on a contract, too.

"Hey, kids! Your contract for us being your parents is coming up for renewal ..."

Now there's an idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships