Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 4,644 times

Advertisements

I think its weird as well, i always just ignore them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 02:00 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
I don't see it as any different from a woman posting a pic of her with a female friend. It might be better, since I know at once whose profile it is. Non issue.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:27 PM

372 posts, read 740,695 times
2 of my 5 or 6 photos are of me with women. One is with my sister, and the other is with a very attractive lady friend. I guess I put up the photo of my friend and I, as a form of social proof, as to say that this beautiful woman is comfortable with being close to, and so should you! No woman has ever asked about my photos though, so I don't know what they thought about them.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:25 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
I also don't care for guys pictures with their kids. Why would you want strangers leering at your children?

Old 10-23-2016, 10:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I have no Idea, but women do it too.

Seems odd.
This thread sounds like what I said a few months ago in ....
//www.city-data.com/forum/relat...ne-dating.html

Anyhow, to the topic at hand.

I would rather see pictures of the person of interest taken by another than a whole bunch of selfies taken by them. Pictures take by another, them with other people, man or woman, boy or girl, shows me a life, that they interact with people.

To me, selfies are like filling the wine racks with Cul de Sac (a local $2.98/bottle wine); lots of nothing with little effort.

EDIT: Another thing to consider. Perhaps the picture of him with other women shows that he isn't a predatory wolf, that he can be with, even work with women without the attitude that they are there to be hit on by him.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:47 PM

247 posts, read 198,157 times
I find it distracting to see other men or women in an OLD profile picture and will almost always ignore them. This is your space to make your best first impression and I think it is wise to keep the attention solely on yourself. I will add that I do have a soft spot for profiles with animals because I adore them and they don't compete for attention or bring up questions in the way another person in a picture would.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:33 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCCan View Post
I find it distracting to see other men or women in an OLD profile picture and will almost always ignore them. This is your space to make your best first impression and I think it is wise to keep the attention solely on yourself. I will add that I do have a soft spot for profiles with animals because I adore them and they don't compete for attention or bring up questions in the way another person in a picture would.

Best first impression like pictures from a professional photo shoot?

The thing is that pictures do tell a thousand words and that there are many different stories that one might want to tell.......and how those stories are taken by different people.

Like as I said, I think endless selfies are the cheap of the current era..........but they would satisfy another's requirement of a shot of only one's self. In my life, I'm very active...as the photographer. So while there are hundreds of shots in a weekend, hardly any of are me since I am the one behind the camera. The shots of me are when I am others, doing what we do, is rather the cast shot.

Finally, keep in mind that with the single person in the shot, they are presenting themselves more in their point of view. When they are standing their with others, the potential for more of "real world" is greater.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:38 PM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,393 times
I guess I naturally assume people have friends and/or family, so I don't need to see them in pics. What I *do* want to see are current/recent, in-focus pics of the person whose profile I'm reading. I don't mind selfies at all, because I figure at least those are likely recent!

Old 10-24-2016, 03:52 AM

641 posts, read 405,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Social proof, maybe?

Personally, I dry up like the Kara Kum in response (well, I'm not dating now...but in the past) - maybe this is just me, but "taken" puts my knees together right fast. So though the person is supposedly available, that with-another-girl vibe put out there so obviously, via a picture, just sends me in the opposite direction.

Maybe these pics work on highly competitive women? I really don't know.
I know a guy who started doing it and it said his results completely changed with responses. Although this is on Tinder where it's more superficial and casual.

If men do it it's probably because it works for them. Social proof or whatever.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:29 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmy00 View Post
Online dating is so weird, but oh so interesting. So.. What's with men posting photos of themselves with women? Do they think this makes them more attractive, like "hey look I'm a lady's man"? Does anyone know WHY?
It could be their sister, their niece, a coworker, a friend-- who cares? As a man who dates women it has never bothered me when women post photos with men on dating sites. In fact, generally speaking I *do* think it makes people look a little more attractive when at least a couple of their photos have other people in them, regardless of the other people's genders. If a person *only* has selfies I wonder if they have friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships