Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 09:04 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,484,228 times

Advertisements

When I did online dating I absolutely hated giving out my number ahead of time. I'd had some bad experiences with creepy men who just didn't take no for an answer and would blow up my phone. Bad eggs. But I had to give a little. Most men are reluctant to go out without a number because they ran into their own bad eggs as well with women who weren't what they expected or women who didn't show (if they were even women to begin with and not other men doing online "experiments.")

Sure I could have dug in my heels and did what I wanted, but I bet a lot of quality men would have seen it as a red flag, even if I did have a legit reason for not liking the practice. They'd just move on to someone else. Why wouldn't they?

So like with everything you do when dating you give a little. Sure it can backfire but no risk, no reward.

I did figure a way to create a dummy number that was forwarded to my phone. Can't remember how now, but it worked great. If I got a stalker type, I'd just change that number (no need to change my "real" number). I suggest that to others who aren't too keen on the phone number exchange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 09:44 AM

50,931 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renter16 View Post
I'm here waiting and wondering if I will get stood up lol

This is my second attempt in meeting someone without talking on the phone and the first time I was stood up

If it happens again I will never meet anyone like this again

Confirming is not the same as having a phone conversation, certainly you should have confirmed the day before.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:46 AM

50,931 posts, read 36,629,320 times
[quote=renter16;45645755]well everything seemed to go well, we spent 2 hours at the cafe. When we arrived I suggested we go outside because the cafe was quiet like a library and I didn't want everyone listening to our conversation

Lots of laughter and things seemed to open up after about 35 mins. She said was free next wednesday and liked my idea of us having a weekendship due to her schedule. Then after we hugged and separated she stood there for a minute with a smile

And all that and..............she didn't want to give me her number just yet. She even offered to drive me home lol

Damm the last guy to have her number must have really been a nut job

Wait, do u think she was waiting for me to invite her to my place?[
/quote]

Are you joking with this question? A woman as safety-minded as this one is not going to your house this soon (nor should she, I wouldn't go to a stranger's house either).

Old 09-29-2016, 09:55 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,316,475 times
Different situation than yours I met a woman at Walmart, got her number, texted her that night, and the next day. Then she goes cold on me for the next 3 days. She says she doesn't like talking on the phone and to just text her. But I'm tempted to call her to see if everything is ok.

Old 09-29-2016, 10:18 AM

1,193 posts, read 1,027,225 times
[quote=ocnjgirl;45651242]
Quote:
well everything seemed to go well, we spent 2 hours at the cafe. When we arrived I suggested we go outside because the cafe was quiet like a library and I didn't want everyone listening to our conversation

Lots of laughter and things seemed to open up after about 35 mins. She said was free next wednesday and liked my idea of us having a weekendship due to her schedule. Then after we hugged and separated she stood there for a minute with a smile

And all that and..............she didn't want to give me her number just yet. She even offered to drive me home lol

Damm the last guy to have her number must have really been a nut job

Wait, do u think she was waiting for me to invite her to my place?[
/quote]

Are you joking with this question? A woman as safety-minded as this one is not going to your house this soon (nor should she, I wouldn't go to a stranger's house either).
What was she waiting for me to say after we hugged andbstanding there smiling for a few seconds

Old 09-29-2016, 10:25 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,544,147 times
Quote:
I never met anyone this way before but since she is attractive I will give it a try and see how it turns out. But usually I am not a fan of meeting someone before confirming that it's a member of the opposite sex. Well we exchanged about 4 messages before I suggested the phone and that's when she told me the phone rule. So I will try to meet her on saturday afternoon to see how we communicate face to face.

Part of me doesn't expect this to go well at all. lol
It's up to you of course mate and I wish you well.

Personally I wouldn't bother.... if I was meeting someone I've never met before I'd most certainly want a phone conversation or 2, quite simply as it's a very decent indication of chemistry ( obviously not as good as in person but beats texting/messaging etc ) between the 2 of us.

No chemistry = no date

^^^^ this is just my own preference and I'm sure others do it differently mate but again I wish you well

Old 09-29-2016, 10:36 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,484,228 times
[quote=renter16;45651681]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

What was she waiting for me to say after we hugged andbstanding there smiling for a few seconds
Only she knows. Maybe she wanted you to propose a solid plan for the next date, maybe she was thinking about giving you her number and trying to decide, maybe she was waiting for a kiss, maybe she was trying to remember if she left the gas on. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Can't go back and change it after all.

Last edited by BellaLind; 09-29-2016 at 10:48 AM..

Old 09-29-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
It's up to you of course mate and I wish you well.

Personally I wouldn't bother.... if I was meeting someone I've never met before I'd most certainly want a phone conversation or 2, quite simply as it's a very decent indication of chemistry ( obviously not as good as in person but beats texting/messaging etc ) between the 2 of us.

No chemistry = no date

^^^^ this is just my own preference and I'm sure others do it differently mate but again I wish you well
She did say during the date that some guys no longer wanted to talk after hearing her rule about the phone number

Old 09-29-2016, 10:55 AM

[quote=BellaLind;45651914]
Quote:

Only she knows. Maybe she wanted you to propose a solid plan for the next date, maybe she was thinking about giving you her number and trying to decide, maybe she was waiting for a kiss, maybe she was trying to remember if she left the gas on. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Can't go back and change it after all.
The offer to ride me home made me think she wanted to come over

Old 09-29-2016, 10:56 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,544,147 times
Quote:
She did say during the date that some guys no longer wanted to talk after hearing her rule about the phone number
😂..... I'm not surprised LOL!,

Sorry I'll read the rest of the thread ... didn't realise you've actually went on the date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships