Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:29 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times

Advertisements

I did this once... a long time ago.

I was living with this guy. He was recently divorced, I was young and dumb. I'd been living with him for 3 months.

I hadn't seen Doug (ex) in 1 1/2 years... didn't really think about him - I was OBSESSED with Scott (man I was living with).

So, one morning I wake up, he's up on his elbow, watching me sleep and smiling... I couldn't remember his name! I really tried and finally guessed, "Doug?" There went the smile. And the next week too.

The relationship didn't last (on and off for 4 years - what a waste!)- he didn't trust me before that (ex wife issues) and he never did after that either.

I'm married to a man named Scott now... he tells me that whenever I'm mad at him, he figures I must mean my ex.

Last edited by sskkc; 02-26-2008 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 06:25 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
When hubby and I first got together, he would call me by his ex-wifes name out of habit, they were married for 30 yrs. It didn't bother me, I would just call him by ex-husbands name, and we would laugh. If you feel secure with your s/o it shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:52 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,264,452 times
My ex-husband and my boss have the same names...and my husband thinks that's his name, too...he's been called "Richard" more times than I can count, and yes...at the most inappropriate times. Even my family calls him Richard......he just laughs. The ex was 20 years ago, the boss I've been with 15 years...so husband is the newbie on the block at 10 years.

The other poster was right - we ARE creatures of habit - I'd say shake it off, laugh, talk about what a goof you are...and let it go.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:25 AM

6 posts, read 16,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Hopefully it's something which can be solved with a frank discussion and an open mind. I think you should definitely talk about it. Tell him how embarrassed you were, hold your hands up and admit to committing a Faux-Pas.

Do explain to him what a jerk your old boyfriend was and that there are no unresolved issues and no latent feelings or emotions towards your ex apart from negative ones.

Basically be honest, and don't sweep the subject under the carpet. It happened, confront it.

Ask him how he genuinely feels about it. He too needs to be honest about it.

It really should not be the end of the world. It was only a slip of the tongue and nothing else.

You need to reassure him and if he is reasonable he should accept your apologies and forget about it.

To be honest if a relationship should flounder because of such a silly thing, it would be a relationship not worth having.
He should be grown up enough to accept that our brains sometimes does not work quite as fast as our tongue.

Although I mostly believe what you say a simple "slip of the tounge" can be the end of alot of things. Call it shallow or whatever you may call it but calling your signifigant other a "b****" at the wrong time can be long term pain and end a relationship. I am a guy and I know first hand how slip of the tounges mess things up badly. If some one were to call be by an ex boyfriends name, depending on the situation, I would be hurt and definately suspicious.

He will eventually get over it but you should not push him to do so. He knows you want him to forget about it if you simply appologize then its up to him to do the rest. You cant force something to heal, and depending on how deep it hurt depends on the time it takes to heal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships