Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 06:20 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I didn't have a license until I moved to a rural-ish area a few years ago. I never needed a license. It never occurred to me that I might be judged because of that.
You didn't get one bc you didn't need one.

Not bc of some kooky, irrational fear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 06:46 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
There is a difference between dating someone in NYC without a car and dating someone in most suburban and rural areas without a car. You have to think about practicality in these situations. I would not want to become someone's unpaid chaffeaur eventually.
Exactly.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:02 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Years ago my friend married a woman that did not drive. We told him that he was in love now and thought it didn't matter. Then we told him it would be a pain in the a** when you have to drive her everywhere she has to go. He found out we were right. The marriage didn't last.

Unless you live in a major metro area with several methods of transportation I would say it's a deal breaker for me.
My friend recently got married and she doesn't have a license or a car due to extreme anxiety about driving. But I think her parents still give her rides a lot so that her husband doesn't have to do it all the time.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:51 AM

854 posts, read 520,395 times
As long as they didn't start using me as a free taxi service, yeah.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:07 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
As long as the person is able to be mostly self reliant and continues with that I don't have an issue. On the otherhand if someone just thinks I'm going to let them use one of my vehicles so they can have something to drive they are mistaken.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:14 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
This thread is very shallow!

I don't think it's a big deal and I don't think it should be. I'm sure there are tons of people in NYC that don't have a drivers license... So what?!

Where is the compassion for people who have had bad experiences in their life.
It depends where you live. NYC is better than California. What makes you think people who are driving don't have bad experience. We all do. We all have to cary on regardless.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:56 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
At the time I met my husband he hadn't owned a car in 10 years. He rode his bike, used roller blades or his Razor scooter. He also used the light rail/public transport.

His main method of transportation is this awesome scooter. Saves on gas and he enjoys it. If we go somewhere together or with the entire family then we use the van.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:17 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Since I don't have a license, due to a disability, I'd have no problem dating someone who also didn't have a license.

And, I'm not surprised to see that many posters here would not date someone without a license. I suspect that is one factor (certainly not the only one) contributing to my perpetual single-ness.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:33 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
As long as the person was entirely self-sufficient in getting himself to wherever he needed to go, it wouldn't bother me. IOW, if I were, say, back in New York I wouldn't be too surprised at a person not owning a car, because you can get from anywhere, to anywhere in NYC (well, more or less) using public transportation.

I would expect a potential date to feel the same way about me - that his concern was that I was self-sufficient and able to get myself where I needed to go, not that I had a car, per se.

Bikes are great but unless there's also some awesome public transportation available I'd have some concerns, if that were his ONLY means of transport. You can only go so far and so fast on a bike and that's that.

Now, no license? That WOULD bother me because one's situation could change at any time and what if you previously didn't need to drive, but now you do? What now? Yes, you could hurry and study your DVM manual and get there to take your written and your driving and blah, blah but that would probably take at least a bit of time...I don't know...it would seem very unprepared to me, just to never have gotten a license.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:07 PM

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
In so Cal you pretty much need a car, for the most part. Public transport here sucks and things are spread too far and wide to not have a car. If someone didn't have a car and no license that would be an odd thing for here. At least have the license so that if you needed to rent a car or to drive a car for whatever reason it wouldn't be a big thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships