Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 06:55 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
But it's not like people are always forthcoming with important information. That's like saying that just because a man is on a date with you, you should assume that he isn't married so it's rude to ask him if he is. If you aren't concerned about whether a man you could potentially become involved with likes having sex with other men, don't ask the question. I would also assume that you wouldn't be bothered if you find out later that he does.
If someone is married, and cheating, and hiding it, do you expect them to answer that honestly?

I don't see the point in asking questions that are both unlikely to result in a honest response AND are likely to p*ss people off. What is the point? So one can pat oneself on the back later and say "well I asked!"??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 06:57 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If someone is married, and cheating, and hiding it, do you expect them to answer that honestly?

I don't see the point in asking questions that are both unlikely to result in a honest response AND are likely to p*ss people off. What is the point? So one can pat oneself on the back later and say "well I asked!"??
Well I went out with a guy who listed his status as single on OkCupid, but during our first meeting when I asked about whether he had ever been married, he said that he was currently separated. As in STILL married. If I had never asked the question, he may never have told me. So yes, if I'm curious about something, I'm going to ask.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Well I went out with a guy who listed his status as single on OkCupid, but during our first meeting when I asked about whether he had ever been married, he said that he was currently separated. As in STILL married. If I had never asked the question, he may never have told me. So yes, if I'm curious about something, I'm going to ask.
That is something else entirely. He wasn't cheating and hiding it. Completely different situation.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
That is something else entirely. He wasn't cheating and hiding it. Completely different situation.
It's not different. I wouldn't have agreed to go out with someone who was separated if I had known ahead of time. And guess what? It's years after the fact and he STILL isn't divorced.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
It's not different. I wouldn't have agreed to go out with someone who was separated if I had known ahead of time. And guess what? It's years after the fact and he STILL isn't divorced.
It is different than the question I asked. You did not answer the question I asked. I asked if someone is cheating and hiding it, would they answer honestly? Then you inserted a completely different scenario, with someone that was not cheating and hiding it. If you don't see how those are fundamentally different questions, then, well, damn.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
It is different than the question I asked. You did not answer the question I asked. I asked if someone is cheating and hiding it, would they answer honestly? Then you inserted a completely different scenario, with someone that was not cheating and hiding it. If you don't see how those are fundamentally different questions, then, well, damn.
As I said earlier in the thread, a guy could lie about anything that you ask him. That doesn't mean that I'm just going to stop asking questions since he might not answer honestly.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:27 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,011,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
There is no correlation between someone's voice and his or her sexuality. If it bothers you, fine, but it's ridiculous to draw the conclusion that someone may be gay because of the way his voice sounds. Chances are, he has as much control over the sound of his own voice as you do over yours.
This.

It really is disheartening that this offensive stereotype is still being promulgated.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:42 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
In a case like this, I can see no reason to inquire about his sexual proclivities.
If his mannerisms turn you off, they turn you off, whether he swings both ways or not.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:43 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I went out with a guy exactly like that. Couldn't get past it. Really nice guy, but just couldn't take the feminine thing.
I have a girlfriend who has gone through the flip side of this for much of her life. She is not girly, she is very active, plays hockey, lacrosse, does motocross, and is an avid football fan, and many guys couldn't handle that she was more "masculine" than they were.

Sometimes you just can't help who you are or what you like. If it really bothers the OP then he isn't the guy for her.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:18 AM

143 posts, read 78,212 times
As people have been alluding to, there's two things going on here.

First, there's nothing inherently wrong with him having an interest in men, so, on that level, there's nothing bad about asking him about it. It's not fundamentally different than asking if he likes fish while he's eating a steak.

However, the other side is the intent of the question. Beyond the pure ignorance of believing that one can determine sexual preference through speech patterns, mannerisms, etc...if the person is asking because they are accusing the other individual of being dishonest (You're dating me, but I think you actually like men) based on zero evidence, that's not rude, but...well, maybe it's just a display of ignorance. If it comes up just as a healthy part of discussion, then we're back to the first point of learning about a person's preferences which is a fundamental part of getting to know someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships