Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:14 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,340,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
Of course its gonna fail. But people want to keep thinking they got it made. But usually SOMEONE is going to want more.

OR..one person is gonna meet someone else, and NOW all of a sudden, they WANT to commit to THAT person. And the other person they had the FWB relationship with is left feeling like unwanted trash, and wondering why they weren't good enough to make that person commit. LOL

No thanks.
Couldn't rep you more! Best to have a commitment. I've been there (FWB, where I wanted a relationship other than sex) and I've been hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 05:42 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
As a woman, I think if you sat a thousand women down, and asked them if they could have either one..a loving marriage with one man...or a several FWBs with no commitments from either one, just good ol' hookups..which one do you think they would pick? You REALLY think the majority would pick FWBs?

You must be a man. Because I wish we could do this test, because id bet you money on what the outcome would be, and I'd win. Hands down.

Knowing full well that I cannot, and do not speak for *ALL* women, I can safely say I'm confidant that tons..tons more women would be chose a committed marriage with a man they loved, rather than getting pumped and dumped until the next time by random 'friends' with benefits.
I think if you sat a thousand women down and asked them if they would like to lose weight the majority would say yes. However, will they be successful in doing so? If it's a fat-free world maybe but it's not!

A lot of guys are getting away from these committed relationships and rightly so. Even if they have to lead a woman on convincing her there is a future just to get laid.

The world is changing. Skip the buffet and head right to the dessert table. Marriage is not a good investment and a lot of guys are finally realizing this.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:09 AM

1,080 posts, read 836,414 times
I can't really answer the question because the OP's premise that this is a recent trend is so fundamentally flawed. It has been 10-15 years since the media became obsessed with "hookup culture," and at that time I remember thinking it was ridiculous, because my friends and I had been "hooking up" (without calling it that) for 10-15 years before THAT, when we were teenagers. I can only assume (based on all historical evidence as well as basic human behavior) that it has been going on since the beginning of time, though perhaps it is more socially acceptable to talk about now than it was in 1950s mainstream white America.

People have sex. People have relationships. Often they do one without the other. It has always been that way and will be for as long as our species exists. (And after that, other species will do it!)

Last edited by SkylarkPhotoBooth; 11-21-2016 at 07:24 AM..

Old 11-21-2016, 07:21 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,714,545 times
Based on what I see with my group of friends, I can't really say.

There is so much drama I don't know where to start. They all basically say that they want a relationship, but they continue to engage in casual intimacy with other people and each other. I hear about it all the time, the guys are always talking about the girls are easy and loose. The girls are always talking about how the guys are jerks. They are always complaining about each other and the opposite sex in general. I just think they are settling for one another because of convenience. But that's just my opinion. I know one girl in particular who has a boyfriend, but is constantly seeking out attention and sex from other guys. She's cheated on her boyfriend before and they got back together, but she always talks about how insecure he is. How he's always asking her questions and gets mad when she goes out.

But she's basically doing the same thing she did before, and this behavior is surprisingly common among the people I know, and what I see in my school. I have another friend who confided in me, that she's mainly only talking to another guy in the group because she doesn't want to start over, but they're always going through the worst too according to her. I just attribute it to youth (all in their early 20s), but who knows. I know very well EVERYONE doesn't do this, but seeing these kinds of thing have kind of turned me off from the whole dating scene. Here at least anyway. I'm pretty traditional and won't date anyone I don't already like. I think it's safe to say that if I do decide to date, it will not be any time soon.

Last edited by Auraliea; 11-21-2016 at 07:30 AM..

Old 11-21-2016, 07:38 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,919,476 times
I think it's more relevant with very attractive people with good social skills. Those who are lacking in the looks or social skills dept are more prone to want to become more involved with that one person.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:05 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
Coming from a woman who come of age during the sexual revolution and the birth control pill's popularity I am going add my two cents in here. From what I see with my sons' friends, too many women these days are willing to have sex on the first date. Used to be a couple would meet, date and then have sex after you got to know each other. To quote an old expression which will make you younger people laugh "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free"?

Women who are willing to have sex immediately and with no commitment have taught men that this is okay. I do believe that most women want a serious commitment but unfortunately most of them seem to think that they have to have sex first in order to get to that point. Most men are happy to go along with the FWB or ONS because, face it, men are geared to want a lot of sex with a lot of different women.

What has resulted in all this sex without any commitment is a lot of children with no fathers, single mothers and STD's. I thought when AIDS hit in the 1980's people would start being a little more picky about who they slept with. Apparently that only lasted until it was discovered that a latex condom protected you from HIV.

I am so glad I didn't have daughters and that I am not a young woman in the dating scene these days because it's a whole different world than it was even 35 years ago and not for the better.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
I think if you sat a thousand women down and asked them if they would like to lose weight the majority would say yes. However, will they be successful in doing so? If it's a fat-free world maybe but it's not!

A lot of guys are getting away from these committed relationships and rightly so. Even if they have to lead a woman on convincing her there is a future just to get laid.

The world is changing. Skip the buffet and head right to the dessert table. Marriage is not a good investment and a lot of guys are finally realizing this.
A lot of women are getting away from committed relationships. Or they say they want one, find a guy, sleep with him, the guy agrees to commitment, only for her to flake!

Old 11-21-2016, 08:56 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,008,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
A lot of women are getting away from committed relationships. Or they say they want one, find a guy, sleep with him, the guy agrees to commitment, only for her to flake!
What do you mean by "flaking" in this sort of situation?

Old 11-21-2016, 09:03 AM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I think it's more relevant with very attractive people with good social skills. Those who are lacking in the looks or social skills dept are more prone to want to become more involved with that one person.

So..good looking people are wh*ores and dogs? LMAO!

Old 11-21-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
What do you mean by "flaking" in this sort of situation?
Read Post #30. I explain in detail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships